Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Appraisal and Conformation
 My horses!! Golley and Brisco.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  7:02:00 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golley is 13.2 hands high, dun, and is a Blazer. He is super duper sweet and somewhat gentle.

Brisco is about 15.3 hands tall. He too is a Blazer. Or at least, last time I measured him. haha! He is pretty sweet, at times. I love both my horses to death, and have had both horses for about 9 years now.

To be able to ride, you must know how to fall.

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  10:43:59 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the pics of your boys amberly. They are nice looking, well cared for horses, of which you have a right to be proud. And yes, I would say Brisco is white. I like to see you using the rope halters. They provide much better control and communication than flat halters. I also hate to see people leaving those halters on their horses when they are at liberty in the field. That is unkind and dangerous. Keep up the good work!

BTW, I like that barn, too! Are you in the mountains or eastern Montana? We are planning a trip to your state this summer. We have never been to Glacier Natl Park or up around the Bob Marshall Wilderness. That is God's country!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Edited by - hmeyer on 03/23/2013 10:48:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  11:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be darned, but you're right. Brisco is white. From what I can see in the pic, he doesn't have pink skin. At least that's what I see around his eyes. So I'd say he's an albino. I'm not familiar with the Blazer horse. Yours are the first ones I've heard of. Can you tell us something about the breed? I'm always interested in learning something new .

I agree with Harv. That's a nice barn... and a nice place for your horses. It's easy to see you keep good care of them.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we board our horses - so I couldn't exactly claim the barn as ours!! But yes, it is a very nice place. Beautiful pastures and buildings.

Yes, hmeyer!!! I always use rope halters. The other halters - like you said - do not provide the extra support and use as others. I never leave the halters on in the pasture either.

I am in the mountains. Ever heard of Kalispell? I am an hour north of them. A quiet, canadian-filled town called Eureka.
Without the canadians this town would be a ghost town.

I'll get some more information on the breed when I find that little bruchure we got when we bought them. As well as a link to the website. Other than that, that is pretty much all the info I know of them - but it is still pretty informative.

Even though we board, we do take good care of our horses, and thank you!!
Before we moved to montana we used to have three horses - including these guys - and we always kept them with us. But we still love them all!!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  11:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmeyer & amberly,

We'll be in Missoula/Glacier area the first few days of August this year! Can't wait to see that part of the country and hoping to see a part of it from horseback. I need to find a trail ride!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  12:31:22 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's probably due to the fact that I used flat nylon halters before the rope ones came back into popularity. For you younger folks; rope halters were used long before the flat nylon became popular.

The earlier rope halters weren't made like the ones today or thought of as training aids but just a way to lead a horse around. They had a tendency to leave grooves in horse's faces because, at the time, people did leave halters on horses in the pasture. Flat nylon took care of the grooves. And that's about the time people realized the dangers of leaving halters on horses at liberty. Then came the clinicians with a thinner version of the old style rope halter that makes a very effective training aid. Now you see them everywhere.

But I'm so used to the flat nylons this is what I use. I don't leave them on my horses when they're at liberty and have no problems using them when training or working with my horses. Nothing against rope halters. I can see they work. I just prefer what I've been using all along.

And forgive my typo in the post about Brisco. I meant to say he "does" have pink skin... not that he "doesn't" .

Just wanted to add that I think it's cool how the photographer is reflected in the horses' eyes in the close up shots .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 03/24/2013 12:33:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  12:48:42 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can believe that rope halters were first. Just because the rope they had at the time was always round and such.

And about the photos - thank you!!!
I'm not braggin, but I took those, I think they are pretty good myself! hehe!!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  1:48:01 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty horses! Did I read that Brisco is 22? Are you doing anything special to manage a senior horse?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brisco will be 22 this year. Well, not really. We just feed him good hay, brush him down and exercise him every chance we get. Same with Golley - he will also be 22 this year. Golley still seems like a young horses - so I'm not as worried about him as I am Brisco. Brisco has been a little grumpier and lazier this year. haha!
But not really. They are healthy just the way they are now, so hopefully they will keep up like that for more years to come.

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  4:33:13 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golley looks really good and I can see why you'd be a little more worried about Brisco. If you've not had their teeth floated, you might consider having that done. It can make a huge difference in how a horse digests his food. It might also be time to think about supplementing Brisco with a senior feed.

Which is the dominant horse?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  9:55:33 PM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I think I'll start doing that.

Well, they are pastured with a mare - but the dominance orders goes like this (alfa to "follower") Babe, Brisco, and Golley.

Brisco is pretty nice to Golley, but babe has taken some nice hair outta my boy. Not harmful - but I go out there sometimes and there is a little bit of hair missing, haha!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  09:01:55 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How are they fed? Is hay dumped in one pile for all of them to eat from or is it spread out into a LEAST 4 piles? Babe could be chasing Brisco away from the hay. Honestly, Brisco looks a little thin in that pic to me but without seeing his full body, it's hard to tell. Many senior horses eat slower because of their teeth and can't chew as efficiently so dental care is very important as is a place where they can eat in peace. Senior feeds are formulated to be easily chewed and digested but again, he'd need a place where he can eat without being run off.

Golley looks like he's a chubby buddy so it's obvious that there is plenty to eat.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their teeth are fine, we had a person out there a few weeks ago.

I am not sure how they are fed exactly - we board. But from the leftover hay spots it looks like they have two different piles.

Brisco is pretty healthy - the photo was just at an angle so it makes him look different. Sorry about that!

Yes, Golley almost doesn't need anymore food! haha! He's such a chubby boy!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  09:27:26 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a responsible horse owner whether you board or not, you should know how & what your horses are fed. They are still YOUR responsibility.

I'd ask whomever feeds to divide the hay into 4 piles and spread them out as far as possible. The rule of thumb is to have at least 1 more pile of hay than you have horses. You don't want them so close that one horse can eat from one and turn their butt to the other. The other horses won't eat from the 2nd because of the threat of being kicked. The hay shouldn't be put in corners either. When the dominant horse comes up, the less dominant needs an escape route.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

amberly
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  09:30:37 AM  Show Profile Send amberly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our boarder just so happens to be my best friend's Grandma! Ain't that something?

But yes, I do see your point - although we trust her with our horses and the way she works.

None of the horses kick or bite. It's only when Golley is being a pain to Babe is when she nips at him. Bu there has been very few hairs missing.

But no, the two piles are on opposite sides of the pasture.

Thank you for your help though, ;)

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  12:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I missed a welcome to DE here..Welcome Amberley!

Cute pics. Golley is my height of horse! Must be a heck of a job keeping Brisco white! Looks like a nice place to board.

I have issues with food dominance if my 3 horses are together in the arena...I found putting 4 piles instead of 3 works well, the pony gets too lazy to keep pushing the other 2 around after a couple times.
Go to Top of Page

ole-bean
Beginning Rider

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  7:07:43 PM  Show Profile Send ole-bean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes!! Welcome to the Forum...Amberly

Love your pictures..

WELCOME Again..
Go to Top of Page

buckinfun
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  8:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit buckinfun's Homepage Send buckinfun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, new to the board and thought I'd pop in about this 'white' horse of yours which I adore.

He's a Cremello.
old terminology was 'albino' but it's truly a double dilute and in this case, he's a cremello which is white all over with the pink skin and blue eyes.
I have a Perlino (orange coloring on mane/tail/legs)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000