Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 I think I need a new saddle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaintedTom
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  4:51:39 PM  Show Profile Send PaintedTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought this saddle a few years ago and it fit the horse I had. Then I sold that horse and got Tommy. It is a Reinsman X-Series barrel saddle. With the navajo pad I cannot put my fingers between the gullet and Tommy's withers. With my black pad that has a cutout at the withers there is maybe an inch of room, I'm sure it's due to the lack of pad in that area. The other thing is, every time I tack up there seems to be someome who says "that saddle does not fit him". Because of the way the back of the saddle sticks up in the air when I tighten the girth. I believe it's gullet is 6 3/4".
Tommy also has dry spots on the sides of his withers after riding.

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  6:49:07 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Painted Tom, and welcome to Daily Equine.

From what you've said and what I can see in the pics, that saddle is sitting right on top of your horse's withers due to a too wide tree. Put a rider in that saddle, and the rider's weight will be pressing the saddle directly onto the horse's spine. Not good. Not good at all. I'd be searching for another saddle for this horse and definitely would not ride him in this saddle any time soon. JMO

Edited to add: Now that I've looked one more time at those pics; I'm wondering if the saddle is sitting too far forward. Maybe try moving it back a half inch to an inch and see if the back will lay down more. But right now, I think my first evaluation was correct... that the saddle's tree is too wide for this horse.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 02/03/2013 6:57:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  10:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE!

I think your saddle is too far forward but I don't know that moving it back would correct the problem. You have found THE best place on the net to find help though! Daily Equine is hosted by the one and only HorseSaddleShop.com and they can help you find the perfect saddle. Check out the Saddle Fitting page here: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddlefit.html

How old is your horse? He could fill out more if he's young which could effect the saddle fit. He is a very nice looking guy! Please tell us more about him and what type of riding you do.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  10:33:25 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Welcome to DE!

I think your saddle is too far forward but I don't know that moving it back would correct the problem. You have found THE best place on the net to find help though! Daily Equine is hosted by the one and only HorseSaddleShop.com and they can help you find the perfect saddle. Check out the Saddle Fitting page here: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddlefit.html

How old is your horse? He could fill out more if he's young which could effect the saddle fit. He is a very nice looking guy! Please tell us more about him and what type of riding you do.

I agree that moving the saddle back a bit might not solve the problem. But I have seen saddles look that way when they're sitting on top of the withers and not behind the withers. This is especially true on a horse with well defined withers like my Terra. All my Appaloosas had prominent withers, and IF the saddle fits the horse, the saddle always fell into place once moved off the withers and set behind them where the saddle belonged in the first place. It might not help in this case, but I thought it worth the shot. Even if it is a long shot .

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintedTom
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile Send PaintedTom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your replies. I do feel my saddle ends up too far forward, unfortunately when I set it back further he bucks when I tighten the cinch. You can see in one of the pictures how I have to angle it forward where it is placed on his back. Yes he is thin! I hate it and we're working on that. He is 17 years old. I will put up pics of butt when I first got him and now. Yes, I do ride him in that saddle. I am in the process of replacing it. I don't want to fit a saddle to him underweight and then have it not fit in a couple months
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think all of us agree that the saddle doesn't fit him well but for him to buck when it's moved back into the proper position could be because of a sore back. At 17, he could have some arthritis and if he's thin, he may not have the muscle mass necessary to support the saddle and you and keep it from putting too much pressure on the spine.

How tall is he? Is he a new horse for you?

You might want to have a vet check him over and find an equine chiro to work on him. If he's not had his teeth floated by an equine dentist, you might want to do that too. A LOT of weird seemingly unrelated problems are fixed when teeth are fixed.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  11:11:01 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi PT, and welcome! I agree with PaintGal that there may be some other issues going on here. The saddle does look too far forward to me and moving it back into proper position should feel better for him, not make him buck. While he may be somewhat on the thin side, he doesn't look like he's in real poor condition from what can be seen with the saddle on. His hind quarters don't look too bad and I can't make out any ribs in the pictures. Like PG said, I think I'd have him checked by a vet and a dentist to see if there might be something going on that's causing him to want to buck. After that, a saddle fitting would be a good idea. He is a nice looking boy!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HaHa!! I wondered how long it would be before PaintedTom became PT.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost called him PT right from the start but thought it better to use PT's whole user name before shortening it like we've done many of the DE regulars.

Just wanted to add that I agree with having the horse's back checked out. Something definitely doesn't sound right about him wanting to buck if the saddle is tightened in proper position.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000