Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 HAA, GTA and others....
 Another dang Horse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  06:07:51 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went sunday to rescue a mare in dire need of help, skinny and blind in one eye,damage to other.Tennessee walker, 7 years old nice pinto coloring. Lady said she had rescued but it was fighting with her other horses.( she just put them together- no getting to know each other). Got there and was impressed by the looks until we got closer and saw something no mare has.Thought a gelding would be fine.He loaded great and can somewhat see.Yesterday was rubbing him everywhere and trying to get him over not letting his belly get rubbed cause his junk needs cleaning! Made another discovery, 2 actually. He is a stallion. Just what I needed. I had thought about letting him out with the mares till then!

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  09:36:28 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soooooo? Are you planning to find another home for him... if you can? I really don't think you need a stallion(or any unplanned extra horses) . Do you?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 10/10/2012 09:37:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  11:15:36 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soon as we find out if his eyes are somewhat fixable he will be gelded, if he is totally blind he will be humanely put down. He is gorgeous!

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  11:16:53 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a few pictures
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3938916276990.2153790.1402390386&type=3

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  6:25:31 PM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picking up his starving daughter this week-end . Will hold onto her in case it don't work out with Mr Stallion she is solid black and 5 months old

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  10:37:31 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beth;
I applaud your efforts to save these two horses, but I assume you're just rehabilitating them and then finding good homes for them? I don't mean to be a busy-body but just concerned about your financial straights. I'd love to save a horse from starvation, but there's no way I'd take in another horse at this time. Even a freebie. Our budget wouldn't be able to take the strain. Bills must be paid. Like I already said; I'm concerned about you being able to handle the added burden.

Forgot to add; Since I'm not on facebook (and never intend to be) the stallion's pic wouldn't come up for me. Sorry.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 10/11/2012 10:38:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  6:33:46 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the mar....ummmm...gelding....no....STALLION!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  7:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Goodness, no wonder he was fighting with all the other horses! I think RH raises a valid point, but good luck with his issues...and I hope things will work out. :)

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  8:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure most of us would be hard put to look the other way when faced with a starving horse...but it is going to be difficult enough to feed my own horses this winter, and that is something I'd have to think about! LOL, I know I'd be awfully tempted to take a rescue horse, though, if not for that.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  12:46:47 PM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well he is totally blind, I have a friend that said she wants him anyhow, but if it falls through he will be put down. He has had a vitamon A deficiency from starvation. Truck blew a tire so going to get filly tomorrow.
I have a good source for hay , a great vet that only charges minimum and a good job, so not taking on more than I can handle. Giving up a few things such as satellite is helping with this. Tired of the crap they put on TV and decision was made before we got the extra horses.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  2:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have a plan! Hope everything works out! Agree with you about TV; the only thing I watch is the news in the mornings, so gave up cable a long time ago!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  05:39:40 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filly is here, very sad to even look at.People suck! PG would you do me a favor and post a pic of her, promise to get back on the photo thingy to show updates on her, just don't want to right this second. I so would like to kick some butt every time I look at both of these guys.She looked even worse when I saw her a week ago at least she had freedom to eat all the hay she wanted. Think her teeth must hurt she won't even try to eat a alfalfa cube.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:58:01 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no words that I can type on DE.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bless you Beth for saving this poor thing. Unbelieveable.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's wrong with people??? I can now see why you were so moved to act on getting these horses out of there!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what's wrong with people in general. Whoever had that poor baby has *special* problems though. IMHO such folks would make dandy dog food. Makes me see red.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~

Edited by - Arenadirt on 10/16/2012 1:22:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  06:22:22 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From speaking with several rescues and individuals there was around 20 walkers taken off this farm all in the same shape.My stallion is actually one of the few that still had a bit of weight on him. There is another baby that I know of in just as bad shape and he is with his Mom who gave everything to him and is in horrid condition.
Sally went down yesterday and couldn't get up. I tried to help and pulled several muscles so laid in the pasture with her till husband came home and got both of us up. While I was out with her I made her a nice warm mash and hand fed her hay. Bless her heart she is trying so hard.
She is still up this morning and was eating and drinking well.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  4:05:29 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poor Sally. I hope she continues to improve and your back does too!

I found this article on feeding starved horses that might be helpful:

http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/horse/pdf/Care&FeedingoftheStarvedHorseASH155.pdf

Here is another article from The Horse.com but you have to subscribe to view it. Fortunately it's free and easy to do!

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=17447

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  6:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
30+ years ago in Colorado, I bought (for $50) a colt that was in nearly as bad a shape as Sally is. With a lot of good care, he developed into a beautiful boy! I'm sure Sally will turn out great, too. It will just take time. Back then, there weren't many supplements to choose from, but Calf-Manna worked just fine for my colt.

Hey, it's a good thing I'm several hours away, or else I'd be mighty tempted to take one of these horses...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  05:56:32 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trading stallion for one of the other babies.
Sally is battling matted eyes now but still has a great appetite and seems to be a bit spunkier.No more fall downs!

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

maryk
Groomer

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  6:53:00 PM  Show Profile Send maryk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear she's back up. Sorry you pulled a muscle trying to get her up. The people that had these horses need to be starved the way horses were. Treat the animals right people! Makes you want to choke someone.
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  05:54:57 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sally has been in a sling for 5 days now. She was going down to often and is just to hard to get up. Tried keeping her in the trailer where she shouldn't have been able to lay down.She did and made a mess of herself, mainly tore the underside of her head up and rubbed many spots raw while thrashing around. She will be kept where she is in the sling for a few more days then we shall try again but confine her to the stall so we can put her back in sling if needed.Her chin is a mess but is healing just nasty as it is draining.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  5:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, it sounds like she is in seriously bad shape! That colt I bought, was almost as thin, and very lethargic, but nowhere near that weak.

Like everyone else on here, I am praying the little gal pulls through this!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  06:25:36 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She decided it was time to be free and escaped the sling.She lays for hours but does eventually make it up.Gaining weight and trying really hard to heal. Still trying to be a bit distant but getting more hopeful..If she makes it she is going to be a awesome horse , never seen such try in a animal that was this bad at the start. Vet can't even believe she is alive, she was the worst case of starvation she had ever seen. It just caused her body to basically shut down but her mind said eat, drink and keep doing so...........maybe we can still lick this! She is bright eyed and finally getting some color to her gums.

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  10:02:51 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BethAnn

She decided it was time to be free and escaped the sling.She lays for hours but does eventually make it up.Gaining weight and trying really hard to heal. Still trying to be a bit distant but getting more hopeful..If she makes it she is going to be a awesome horse , never seen such try in a animal that was this bad at the start. Vet can't even believe she is alive, she was the worst case of starvation she had ever seen. It just caused her body to basically shut down but her mind said eat, drink and keep doing so...........maybe we can still lick this! She is bright eyed and finally getting some color to her gums.

I was so afraid when I saw you'd made another post that the worst had come. So glad to hear Sally's still among the living and fighting so hard to stay that way. I'm betting now she's going to make it.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  6:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even with all those bones sticking out, you can see that Sally has a really nice conformation! I'm so glad to hear she is at least gaining a little weight. Hang in there!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000