Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 saddle fit- for multiple horses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  7:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I no longer have a regular equine partner and don't know when I shall find another being as the majority of horses here are now going english. I am borrowing a horse here or there just to stay in the saddle sporadically.
Anyway, I know that there are interchangeable gullets for english saddles. What is the most vertile in fit in western saddles, ie would fit a wider range of horses?

would it be the treeless saddles? What are peoples opinions on them? Do they really fit narrow to wide horses-6-8inch gullet? I have ridden in only one treeless in my life. The horse liked it, and had the seat size been the correct one, I may have also enjoyed it more than I did.

If folks to could offer opinions and suggestions that would be great.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Generally speaking, if you are going to use one saddle on a lot of horses, it is better to have one that is a little too wide, than too narrow, since you can pad the saddle out if it is a bit too wide. Not always, though, since a wide saddle is not going to fit a small, narrow horse, no matter what you do.

For years, I rode in an Ortho-Flex saddle, and took it along with me when I went on ranch vacations. It fit everything from a small Arab, to a huge 16-hand Appy. I did take several girths with me of varying lengths. That is a lot of money to spend, though if you are just occasionally borrowing a horse. I have seen that the Saddle Shop sometimes has used ones available.

Right now, I have a Steele, and it also seems to fit a wide variety of horses. Another saddle I like the looks of, as far as being versatile when it comes to fitting different horses, is the new trail saddle from Fabtron. It looks a lot like my Steele.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Right now we have a couple saddles I like. My Tex Flex saddle has the wider tree and I've been able to use it on all our horses. I do need to add and subtract pads but everyone seems to enjoy riding in it. My horses range from Flyer, a small 14.3 horse to the humungas Crusier. A semi-quarter horse bars fit Lottie and Flyer but they are ok with the Tex Flex.

The other saddle is Hookie's Dakota that we got from the Saddle Shop. It has the full quarter horses bars and seems to fit everyone with adjusted padding. I do have a few different saddles but these 2 seem to work the best for all the horses.

One thing I like about both these saddles is the back is pretty flat so if you have a horse with normal withers and a wide back (like Hookie) then this saddle is comfortable for them.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  5:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do your saddles equate the fqhb as a 7inch gullet?
Keep the coments coming. thanks.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  6:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cayuse

Do your saddles equate the fqhb as a 7inch gullet?
Keep the coments coming. thanks.

Yes.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for earlier replies. have another couple of questions. What model of Dakota saddle do you have Mrs Hool?

I have been eyeing a Circle Y High Horse lockhart saddle. wondering if any one has experience with that saddle.
As well, can saddles with gaited trees be used on non gaited horses?

Anyone have experience with Fabtron Ladies Trail saddle?
Thanks

Cayuse
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  8:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my saddle. Barrel Saddle #307
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/dakota-flex-barrel.html#.UT0kpDdW_gI

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

garlicbunny
Tenderfoot

14 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  9:27:06 PM  Show Profile Send garlicbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought a dakoka 2212 wide, just put it on our horse and rode a bit over a mile. NICE saddle! very comfy and good fit, is for hubbys horse, but now I want one too. Josh from HSS told me the fabtron is one of the best sellers, I also heard it is one of the better non leather saddle. I imagine you probably have a saddle by now.
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  1:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't yet. I am eyeing the fabtron still. I have heard good things about the fabtron. I like the circle y high horse lockhart saddle too. Anyone have any knowledge of that saddle?

Im riding a horse 16hh-taller than I have ridden in YEARS- and need to keep the saddle very light weight due to shoulder/back issues. I am lucky to be able to swing a Wintec on him and that is only maybe 20 pounds.

Cayuse

Edited by - Cayuse on 10/02/2013 1:16:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000