Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 HAA, GTA and others....
 GTA..2012 renewel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been over a year so guess it was time....solid butt thump ...no bruises but boy does it hurt to sit and get up! Gotta lean forward to sit ...I guess I could still ride in 2 point!

The silly part, it was end of ride, walking back to the arena gait and patting my fjord on the neck good boying him... split second and I am facing the other direction at a run. Almost held on...guess almost doesn't count though.. Was beautiful out, 70s but windy so not sure what spooked him.. leaf? fly? I had lunged him prior as he seemed pretty antsy and hadn't ridden since Sunday... it is a mystery!

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  3:46:35 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad nothing but the buns were bruised! Joe tends to be a bit more "alert" when it's windy. I read or heard somewhere that if the wind is blowing it can mask the sounds of a predator sneaking up so in the horse brain it pays to be extra jumpy when it's windy. One can never be too safe.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  5:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least you are riding! Horse hadn't been riddent since Sunday? Mine haven't been ridden since early November!

Glad there was no serious injury, and hope you soon get over being sore. It is amazing how quickly things like this happen!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  06:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those windy days. If I remember right it was windy when Hookie dumped me a few years ago.

Glad you are okay. Nice to get it out of your system early.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you are not bad hurt, wish I would land on my butt (plenty of padding LOL)

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  3:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PG...that makes sense. Those predator leaves/flies can be deadly....to the rider!

I'm ticked...can't ride, just too sore and it is sooo gorgeous out this weekend. So we are lunging, getting alot of other stuff done since it feels better to stand than to sit.....and mope!

Much as I have plenty- o- padding, I have no bruise but darned painful on my tailbone...I think I broke my butt! I may have to get an xray if the pain doesn't ease up. 2 glasses of wine last night didn't numb it...and I'm a cheap drunk!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  5:46:13 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

PG...that makes sense. Those predator leaves/flies can be deadly....to the rider!

I'm ticked...can't ride, just too sore and it is sooo gorgeous out this weekend. So we are lunging, getting alot of other stuff done since it feels better to stand than to sit.....and mope!

Much as I have plenty- o- padding, I have no bruise but darned painful on my tailbone...I think I broke my butt! I may have to get an xray if the pain doesn't ease up. 2 glasses of wine last night didn't numb it...and I'm a cheap drunk!

You might want to try a chiropractor. Mine found my tail bone out of wack and put it back in one session, no problem, and the pain was gone. Of course if it is muscle bruising (whether you see it or not), only time can heal that I'm afraid.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

TheMadHatter
Advanced Rider

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  1:32:54 PM  Show Profile Send TheMadHatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Don't you just hate those dramatic dismounts?

I hit the dirt last fall while riding Sunny. He turned sharply on a hill and my saddle rolled and right off I went! Sunny just looked at me like, "What in the world are you doing?" I started laughing my butt off lol Rode the rest of the day but man was I sore the next day!

I'm glad you weren't too hurt! Those windy days are tricky and everything becomes a horse eating monster, even their own body parts! (tail swishing, ears twitch, etc)

Four things greater than all things are, -
Women and Horses and Power and War.
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Ballad of the King's Jest"
Go to Top of Page

maryk
Groomer

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:14:59 PM  Show Profile Send maryk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you are alright. I agree go see a chiropractor. I see one often about once a month and boy is she good. I've had pelvic bones out and one hip locked. When she was done I could walk a whole lot better. Sorry to hear the horse was spooked by either a fly or a predator.
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  08:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tailbones also take a long time to feel better -- I'm recovering from a thump on mine, myself (x-country skiing, though, not a GTA qualifier). My chiropractor pointed out that in addition to the bone itself, there's a whole bunch of ligaments and stuff that connect there, and all of that takes a long time to get over bruising. I hope you're feeling better, 'cuz I agree with you, not being able to ride on beautiful days is a PAIN of its own!

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  09:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
12 days and still sore to sit, wakes me up at night. I'm giving it another week then think about xray/chiro...just cause I want to know if I really cracked it. Strange, no bruise

Plash, good point about the ligaments and muscles. Sure can feel them stretch with any movement. I should work on stretching them myself. Hope your caboose is doing better!
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  12:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine's doing better, been about four weeks and the only things that are still really uncomfortable are driving a car and... sadly... riding a horse. Actually mostly just the trot is bad, a walk isn't too bad. And I never saw any bruise either, so I don't' think that's unusual.

'plash

'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  1:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Plash
Did you get an xray? Wasn't sure if you actually had a fracture or if yours was soft tissue injury (which won't show). Hurts equally I'm sure.

I think this is a week of from riding for me, at least from the fjord. Should rename the thread "booty update"
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  10:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there FB ... I never did actually get an x-ray. The doctor's office told me that unless it was a really obvious break, it might not show on an x-ray due to the amount of other bone and other tissue in the area -- a hairline fracture might just not show up without something like an MRI. And since the treatment is pretty much the same either way... "take painkillers and rest the area" ... it didn't seem worth it. Mine's almost all better now, at 6 weeks, so I'm pretty sure it was just a bruise. If yours is still hurting, it might be fractured a little, or just bruised worse than mine.

'plash

'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Plash, thanks for the update.

Hitting 4 weeks today and will try to ride. Still sore, wakes me up on turning at night. Never saw the doctor, but had a curbside consult with the bone doc at work. He said even if fractured, they wouldn't do anything so neither did I!

You're giving me hope...2 weeks more and maybe all better!
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  8:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's not much they can do anyway... not like you can put a cast on that! I hope you're better in a couple of weeks! Meanwhile you can work on posting and riding in two-point position, how fun!

'plash

'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000