Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Discussions on Fitting Saddles to the Horse
 photos...finally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  8:46:12 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a rough week. First I discovered I didn't even make the 7" Wide template. Then I wrecked my car--no injuries, but I've been dealing with insurance and a rental agency. My car will be in the shop 24 days more or less. It was not pretty.

But on to Dani. Even with the 7W template, I still think the 7.5 W fits better. Her saddle seems to fit fine so maybe it's the pad that is causing the saddle to slide. Here are pictures of the templates and of her back. I still need to make tracings of her back to compare to the saddle.

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  07:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be glad that week is behind you. Too bad about your car but it can be repaired and you are okay.

It looks from your photos that either 7 or 7.5 wide fit pretty well. Perhaps you need to check the rock of the saddle which is the fit from front to back along the horse's back. Check Dani's back by adjusting a stiff piece of wire (a piece of house wiring works) to fit her back on the muscle beside her spine, then check the saddle to see if you have a match.

Interested to see the results of your blanket changes.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  08:40:44 AM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Now that I have some time I plan to check the rock and the fit at intervals along her back. I think it's pretty good from running my hands under the saddle. It's a Synergist and was originally fit for my old Arab gelding. It definitely had too much rock for her since his back is a bit low, but I sent it back to Synergist and had it stripped to the bare tree. Maybe I should have had it fit to Dani but I seem to have lost the form and it's a real pain to refit the form anyway. I'll let you know what I find.
Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally had the time to check Dani's saddle fit with the wire molds. It looks like a really good fit so I'm going to start experimenting with saddle pads as soon as this heat lets up or I can manage an early morning ride.
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  8:49:23 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dani is gorgeous btw! Sorry to hear about your wreck, so glad you were not injured.

Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  2:35:15 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ilovejoe. If I'd been injured in that wreck I might not be able to ride and that would be worse then wrecking the car.

I tried a different pad on Dani today and it helped some, but not enough. I also think I might try a different girth. The one I'm using is a soft-touch neoprene with elastic on both ends. It's an English girth--western type endurance saddle with english rigging. My friend has a conversion kit for a western girth that she's not using so I might try that with a western girth. Guess I'll just keep experiementing until I find something that works.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that you are on the right track getting rid of the elastic fastening on the girth, especially for your extreme riding.

Be interested in how that works.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  5:22:47 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to go back to basics and got a nice felt pad. As soon as I got on I realized it was going to be a problem. I could feel the saddle sliding around the whole time I rode and the pad actually slid out from under the saddle.

Today I used a neoprene waffle pad with a built-up wither since Dani is a bit downhill. (I put my navajo blanket over it to make it look nice.)I also used a mohair girth. It worked a LOT better but I still got off and walked down the really steep hill because the saddle was sliding forward. Still, it was not as bad as it was so I think I'm on the right track. Maybe I should find a horse that's not built so much like a barrel! I might have to resort to a breast collar and crupper. I guess I'll do whatever it takes to make her comfortable.

I think I'm having a tack sale soon.

Oh, forgot to mention--when I went to get back on at the bottom of the hill the saddle slid to the side. I thought I checked the girth but obviously it was not tight enough. Dani was a trooper and didn't move an inch. Pretty good for a horse I couldn't mount at all when I bought her.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  06:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dani

I decided to go back to basics and got a nice felt pad. As soon as I got on I realized it was going to be a problem. I could feel the saddle sliding around the whole time I rode and the pad actually slid out from under the saddle.

Today I used a neoprene waffle pad with a built-up wither since Dani is a bit downhill. (I put my navajo blanket over it to make it look nice.)I also used a mohair girth. It worked a LOT better but I still got off and walked down the really steep hill because the saddle was sliding forward. Still, it was not as bad as it was so I think I'm on the right track. Maybe I should find a horse that's not built so much like a barrel! I might have to resort to a breast collar and crupper. I guess I'll do whatever it takes to make her comfortable.

I think I'm having a tack sale soon.

Oh, forgot to mention--when I went to get back on at the bottom of the hill the saddle slid to the side. I thought I checked the girth but obviously it was not tight enough. Dani was a trooper and didn't move an inch. Pretty good for a horse I couldn't mount at all when I bought her.

Glad you are making progess. Saddle fit is just so important.

BTW a few pictures of some of your rides would be nice!

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Dani
Beginning Rider

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile Send Dani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't resolved the saddle sliding issues. Last time I rode I used a different pad and it slid out from under the saddle. I have been watching some saddle-fit videos on youtube but I haven't really learned anything new. I bought an older western saddle on ebay for a song so I think I'll try that on her if the weather straightens up and see what happens with different rigging. Right now we're in the middle of endless days of rain. I just want to ride!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000