Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 info on circle y
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uglydog56
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  11:38:32 AM  Show Profile Send Uglydog56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, newbie here. I grew up in Nebraska on a cattle ranch riding horses, but kind of put all that behind me when I joined the Navy. However, my wife has taken up horse ownership as her personal albatross, er, hobby, so it looks like I'm going to be doing some trail riding and soforth again. When I was home visiting family last time, I got my dad's saddle which has been hanging in a shed for about 20 years. My dad is not doing well, and I would like to refurbish this saddle and use it for him, I guess. I read several posts on identifying circle y's and also attempted contacting the company, which is still in business. They asked if it had tooling on it or not (it didn't) and didn't get back to me after that. Mine doesn't have numbers on it where you guys all say yours does. It is on the back center behind the cantle. First it has a "No. 52" and below that a "1062". It's kind of reddish, no tooling, a riding horn vice roping, no silver at all. Interestingly my dad is left-handed and the latigo thing to tie on a lariat is on the right side instead of the left. It's in rough shape from neglect and I'm going to be spending a lot of hours with old socks and neatsfoot oil on this thing. There's some stitching that has to be replaced as well. Any walking saddle encyclopedia's know more than circle y about this thing? Thanks, Rick.

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum. I would really like to see some pictures of your Dad's saddle, both before and after. We may be able to narrow down some information or make some educated guesses that would help.

Thanks for stopping by and we would like to hear some of you and your wife's horse adventures.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Uglydog56
Tenderfoot

2 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  3:15:58 PM  Show Profile Send Uglydog56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Circle Y got back to me, with much more information than others have gotten it seems. It is a "ranch hand" saddle, built in Oct of 62. It has 14 1/2" seat, 3 1/2" cantle, semi-quarter bars, 14" swell, 6" gullet (wow narrow). It is currently enroute to my house - visited home on a motorcycle, saddles don't fit in saddle bags very well. I will post pics when I dig it out of the box, along with progress pics for those interested. Now to do it completely backwards and find a horse to fit the saddle....
Go to Top of Page

rude
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  12:16:06 PM  Show Profile Send rude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking forward to seeing these pictures ...a 1964 saddle ..should be interesting :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000