Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Camping, Trailering, and associated Outdoor Gear
 Home-made Ice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  1:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About 2 years ago, I was asking why the ice in my maxi-cool cooler wasn't even lasting a day, let alone the 4 or 5 days touted in the advertisements for the cooler! On the Way suggested that I make my own ice, because the stuff you buy in bags is hollow, which makes it melt more quickly.

The past 3 camping trips, I have been using regular ice cubes made in my freezer, and solid chunks of ice made by freezing milk cartons. And, what do you know, the ice lasted through 3 days of camping. Just thought I'd let everyone know. So many times when primitive camping, there is nowhere close to buy more ice when you need it.

EZ2SPOT

tchighhope
Advanced Rider

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  11:49:30 PM  Show Profile Send tchighhope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you just tossing the whole milk carton in there and then reusing it once it thaws or actually cutting away the carton after the water freezes?
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carol (OTW)sure knows the camping tricks. Great idea about the freezing the water in milk cartons.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just threw the whole thing in the cooler. As I understand it, a lot of people DO cut the carton away.

Yes, OTW sure did have a lot of good camping tips! Honestly, I never gave a thought to the shape of the bagged ice being why it didn't last long!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Glistening
Beginning Rider

61 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  09:34:47 AM  Show Profile Send Glistening a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also heard, instead of making ice cubes with the normal trys you find in your freezer, use cupcake pans. The bigger your cubes the slower they melt. The milk cartons work great.

Glistening 10 yr Arab/Saddlebred
Scout 25-28 yr Paint/Draft
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  10:22:04 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glistening

I also heard, instead of making ice cubes with the normal trys you find in your freezer, use cupcake pans. The bigger your cubes the slower they melt. The milk cartons work great.

So do frozen water bottles. I take about four bottles along in my cooler mainly for when I'm out on the trail, but it does make the store-bought ice last much longer. I should add that I have my own water bottles that I fill with water from home.

The store-bought ice might melt faster, but I like the convenience of just opening the bag and dumping it in the cooler. It takes time to make enough ice to fill a cooler. Anyway, it does for me. But the homemade ice does work better, I'll agree.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  8:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting idea about using cupcake pans; I agree the size would make them last longer, but I'm wondering if it would be hard to get them out of the metal pans. It is worth a try, though.

RH, I stopped freezing water bottles when I heard that this causes cancer-causing elements to leach out of the plastic bottles and into the ice. Does anyone know if this is true, or just another urban legend??

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard that before, EZ, but if it's true, seems to me the same would be true of other items frozen in plastic in your freezer... which includes most of what's in mine. And wouldn't that include those plastic ice cube trays used to make homemade ice?

Honestly, I've been freezing the very same water bottles over and over again for years with no health problems whatsoever. No offense, but I think getting cancer from freezing water bottles is false. JMHO

Anyone else want to comment? It would be interesting to hear other folk's thought on this. Maybe we would all learn something. After all, I could be wrong and totally off base. Wouldn't be the first time.

Just thought I'd add that my store-bought ice lasted the same amount of time that EZ's did on our last two campouts .

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 06/24/2011 10:48:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  1:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

RH, I stopped freezing water bottles when I heard that this causes cancer-causing elements to leach out of the plastic bottles and into the ice. Does anyone know if this is true, or just another urban legend??

EZ2SPOT

Finally, something about which I know a little! Almost all plastic water bottles used to contain BPA (Bispheynol-A), a known endocrine disruptor and estrogenic. That doesn't mean you're going to get a big dose of BPA from drinking out of those bottles, but the longer water sits in them, the higher the temps and the more temperature variation they experience with water in them, the more BPA will leach into the water.

Responding to a lot of press from the National Toxicology Association, in 2008 Nalgene started phasing out bottles with BPA and many other manufacturers (such as Camelbak) have followed suit. In 2010, Canada declared it a toxic substance. AFAIK, it's still the only country to have done so.

Today there are few items marketed as water bottles that still contain BPA. The bottles used by bottled water mfrs are intended for single use, and should not be re-filled though they do not contain BPA (don't ask me why they shouldn't be re-used; it's what "they" say). Not sure about freezing them, but my gut says that shouldn't be a problem.

You should be okay with any bottles that say #1, #2, or #4 on the bottom.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  6:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, AD, for the info concerning water bottles. Sounds like I should not have a problem with freezing a few bottles to take out on the trails! That is what I used to do, until so many people started telling me it wasn't safe.

It also sounds like older re-usable water bottles would likely have been made with BPA, while the ones made recently, probably would not have been.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  7:08:41 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, AD.

I checked my water bottles, and the largest one that I've had the longest has a #1 on the bottom. My newest one has a #2, but the two that came with my horn bag just say "Made in China". The problem is they are shaped to fit the bottle holders and will be hard to replace. I'm going to assume they aren't safe to freeze since they have no number on the bottom and are made in China? Right?

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
940 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  03:09:15 AM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some smart ideas

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000