Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Gaited saddles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  2:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a gaited-horse tack catalog in the mail the other day. It was unsolicited, but there it was, a tack catalog sitting on the kitchen counter so of course I flipped through it and looked at the pictures. It got me wondering, how does a gaited saddle fit on a normal horse? IIRC, gaited saddles flare out more at the shoulder, but would they work on a non-gaited horse that needed more shoulder room?

And for that matter, what is the basic "shape" difference in Arabian saddles? Are they narrower, or just shorter, or what?

Just curious.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  3:14:02 PM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good questions.Anxious to see the replys!

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  8:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the Tucker saddles, as I understand it, were developed mainly for gaited horses, what you already have is basically a gaited saddle! Same thing could be said for the Steele that I ride in. I'm not quite sure what makes a gaited saddle different. They usually seem to fit horses will shorter backs and higher withers, and do allow a lot of shoulder freedom, which, as you noted, would seem to be a good thing for most horses.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not know Tucker saddles were developed for gaited horses, well I may have known and have forgotten that. I have a Tucker saddle for Joe, short back wide angle.
I was under the impression most gaited horses are pretty narrow.

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  6:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tuckers come in both regular and wide trees. Gaited horses come in all widths, from what I've seen! Some of the MFT's I know of, are nearly as broad as any foundation QH; others nearly disappear when you look at them head-on! Same goes for the TWH's.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000