Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Appraisal and Conformation
 New Family Members
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  12:03:26 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
Haven't been on for awhile, thought I would share my newest additions with you.

In August I rescued two yearling mini donkey jacks. They were part of a group of ten that were in my area. I was lucky to get these two little cuties.

I have never had donkeys before, my gosh they are the cutest, sweetest little things. They had not been handled very much, do NOT know how to lead (working on that) and had never had their feet done. We are all learning together.

They have already outgrown those blue halters I bought for them, we just got new ones yesterday.

Meet Stormy:

Frosty:

With an old cat that moved into the barn, Ms. Jenna Furr:

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  05:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those guys are sure cute. DON'T LOOK FERN!

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  6:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once they are halter broke, you can start teaching them to drive! Start ground-driving first, and when they are about 2 years old, they should be ready to pull a small cart. You will have a lot of fun with these two!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh those FUZZY EARS!!!! I'd never be able to keep my hands off 'em.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  10:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, they are just the cutest!! Can't wait to hear how teaching progresses. Congrats on your new fellas.
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  4:21:14 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Those guys are sure cute. DON'T LOOK FERN!

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahha!! Too funny Hook!

They are VERY adorable!!!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  4:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you want to just pick them up and squeeze them!

Waaaaay. Toooooo. Cuuuuuute!

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Go to Top of Page

TheMadHatter
Advanced Rider

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  5:40:31 PM  Show Profile Send TheMadHatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the ears!!! They are precious. Congrats on getting such cutie pies.

Four things greater than all things are, -
Women and Horses and Power and War.
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Ballad of the King's Jest"
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  12:26:17 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely ADORABLE!!!!

Have fun with those two cuties

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  12:22:03 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I just love these little guys. They have not had a lot of handling and some of that was rough, but they are really coming along.

Anyone have any suggestions on integrating them with the horses? I tried putting Joe with them first and he turned into a cutting horse extraordinaire and after I got over being really impressed by his moves I stepped in and separated them.

Rocky next....he seemed to ignore them until I went into the house (this was during the drought) and when I looked out the window there was a HUGE cloud of dust. I rushed out and Frosty was nowhere to be seen, and Rocky was driving Stormy using his teeth on his back. Waving hands and insane screaming commenced and I drove Rocky into the drylot and tied him up with Joe (who I suspect was offering Rocky advice on technique). Rocky had driven Frosty through the fence into another pasture and NOT the road. No one was hurt, but I was pretty freaked by Rocky's vicious streak and vowed to keep them apart.

I have friends with horses and mini donkeys together, these little guys were living with two horses (one ironically named Joe).

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  8:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is different with geldings! When Eeyore arrived, the two horses I had at the time were quite amazed at the sight (not to mention the sound!) of him, but they were never mean to him. We did nothing to get them used to each other; just turned them all out. The only thing I can think of is that maybe him being small, might have brought out maternal instincts in my mares. Sorry to hear Rocky & Joe don't like the donks. Maybe someone else will have some helpful suggestions.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000