Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Senior supplements.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMadHatter
Advanced Rider

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  4:17:33 PM  Show Profile Send TheMadHatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any experience with supplementing a senior horse? I just bought a tub of DuMor Senior Combo which helps support his joints, hooves and digestion. It has glucosamine HCI and chondroitin sulfate, which is what my vet told me to look for in a senior supplement. Does anyone have any pros/cons with using the DuMor brand? I'm looking into Cosequin, which would probably be better but I just want to get different opinions. Blue is mainly a 'weekend warrior' and his trail rides are 2-3 1/2 miles tops, but he is a very large horse (17hh and 1350(estimate)lbs) so I'm looking for something to help his joints out in his twilight years. So, any suggestions/comments would be very appreciated.

Four things greater than all things are, -
Women and Horses and Power and War.
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Ballad of the King's Jest"

Blue- 25yr old marble appaloosa who thinks he's still a stud
Sunny- 14yr old gaited paint who thinks he's a super model
Joker- 9 yr old QH appendix who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread
Cisco- 8 yr old APHA gelding who's a diamond in the rough

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  1:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've put Tag on SmartPak's Smartflex Senior. Farrier noticed an increased range of flexibility in him right away. Previously he could not put his hind hoof on the jack. Supposed to help joints, digestion and has antioxidants in it. So far I'm happy with it.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  08:44:42 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of things in today's horse market for stiff joints, etc.

Whatever you buy, pay the extra money for pharmaceutical grade products. That means there are no useless fillers in the product, a little goes a long way, and the horse is actually getting the help it needs from the money you are spending.

I have a 12 yr old and 23 yr old that are insulin resistant; it has exploded the hock/ankle arthritis on my 23 yr old. For my part, DuMor couldn't pay me to use anything they produce - especially for these two horses, but that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

TheMadHatter
Advanced Rider

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  3:35:21 PM  Show Profile Send TheMadHatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the insight. I called and requested a sample of SmartFlex Senior this morning to see if Blue likes the taste. He seems to be doing good on the DuMor but he doesn't like the taste and I've heard nothing but wonderful things about SmartPaks so if he likes the samples then I'll definitely switch him over. Thanks again.

Four things greater than all things are, -
Women and Horses and Power and War.
~Rudyard Kipling, "The Ballad of the King's Jest"

Blue- 25yr old marble appaloosa who thinks he's still a stud
Sunny- 14yr old gaited paint who thinks he's a super model
Joker- 9 yr old QH appendix who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread
Cisco- 8 yr old APHA gelding who's a diamond in the rough
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03