Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Camping, Trailering, and associated Outdoor Gear
 Camping Gear Bargains?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  10:51:08 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for tennis balls for Sal at Wal-mart last weekend and ended up going through the camping supply section. So what do I see? You folks remember that little fold-away gray table of EZ's(I think one or two of you bought the same one.)? I found it for $20.

BUUUUTTTT I also found a 5 foot table for indoor/outdoor use that stores in less space than a conventional card table for $35. The thing is MTR doesn't supply tables, picnic or otherwise, on the camp sites, and I thought this table would foot the bill. Of course I'd have to use my camp chair to sit at this table since it doesn't come with places to sit like a picnic table, but for $35, it sounds like a good deal.

I was also looking at those fairly simple to assemble pop-up canopies. A 9 X 9 footer ran for $45.

So why the interest after all this time of camping out? Mainly because I'll have more room in that new Corn Pro that'll be delivered to me in June, and also because EZ and I have decided to camp out of our trailers instead of spending money on a cabin or bunkhouse at MTR. (I thought the smaller table would come in handy in my new trailer's enlarged dressing room where I'll be sleeping at night.) Without tax, all three of these items comes to $100. Not bad if I do say so myself... although I haven't bought a thing... yet .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  12:15:00 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy! Starting to get that camping bug gnawing at me!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too Harv!!!! I am particularlly anxious to use my new truckbed camper, we put a new floor in it and fixed all the leaks. It ain't pretty but it sure will beat sleeping on the ground!

RH - great deal on the table. I have for many years thought I should buy a little table to throw in the trailer. If for nothing else than a place to set stuff up off the ground and out of the way. I am also going to invest in one of those pop-up canapoies this year, after seeing how easy they are to assemble.

First CMO ride this weekend and the weather isn't looking good

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh, buying camping stuff is such fun...beware, though, it can be addictive!! That is how I ended up with one of everything...and a lot of it, I don't even use. But ya never know, and I like to be prepared.

Those of us who have not yet had a chance to camp this year, are anxious to get out, that is for sure!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love camping gear, and I love to walk/ride around campgrounds and get good ideas on ways to do things better.
I use shepherds' hooks for a lot of things. Find them in the garden center. They just step into the ground.
We use them for: hang a remote control lantern on one that's been placed behind your high-lined horses. In the night you can point the remote at it, turn it on, and your horses will be outlined (or not, which means they're loose!). No need to even get out of bed.

When tacking up a little distance from the trailer, I hang my bridle, breast collar, helmet on it. If I forget my helmet, I can ride right back up to it and snatch it without getting off and rumaging thru the trailer.
Hang wet saddle pads on it to dry in the sun, if they have that hole at the withers.
Hang wet rainwear on them to drip dry, away from your trailer, under the awning if you have it.
You could put it under your pop-up canopy to hold a lantern.

Just lots of help to hang anything, and so easy to move from one place to another.

Have fun collecting stuff, RH.

If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  6:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooo, some very nice ideas there, dhc. I particularly like the "check the highline without gtting out of bed" technique, very creative!

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  7:19:45 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been all over the camping supply section at Walmart gathering the must haves for our camping trips but our Walmart is seriously lacking in that dept. so I'm going to have to make a trip to Bass Pro!

I'm looking for a camp stove, a fold up table like RH found & a couple of chairs that aren't those fold up canvass ones. I got one of those aluminum tables a couple of years ago and it does come in handy. Right now, it's being used at the library but I'll get it back in a couple of months.

I found an RV patio mat with horseshoes around the edge & an outline of a horse in the middle and that arrived on Monday. I had spare silverware and that's in the MH now along with a set of pots & pans. I think I'm set on glasses & plates and other kitchen necessities.

What I really want to do is have EVERYTHING except food that needs refrigeration loaded and ready to roll so all that last minute list will be shorter. LOL!

One thing I'm trying to figure out is where to put a bale or 2 of hay. I think I can get one on the trailer between the jack & body and could tie one to the fender outside the trailer or one inside by the escape door.

Are there any way cool gizmos that anyone has found that everyone should have?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  09:00:53 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PG, we have a two-burner Coleman propane stove that works very well. The only drawback I found was that the latch doesn't hold it closed very well when folded up. I put a strap around it and solved that problem. Does your new "tent" on wheels have a stove in it?

Hay is a problem, isn't it? Usually we are taking 3 horses in the 4-horse trailer, so the extra stall becomes our hay storage. If you are only taking one horse in your 2-horse trailer, you could put several bales in the extra stall.

One of these days, I'm going to get a nice living quarters trailer. For now, since our trailer is actually Adam's, he sleeps in the front, and Deb and I get the "poop room" in the back. We fix it up quite cozy though, with cots, lights, space heater, etc, and it is very roomy. Just have to make sure you have your slippers on when you get out of bed in the middle of the night!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  09:44:46 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harv,

I have a 3 burner stove, oven & microwave in there! I'd rather do most of the cooking outside if possible since it does heat up the MH. The fire alarm & CO2 alarm *might* have gone off with ear piercing screeches which only stopped when the batteries were removed..... just sayin. Batteries were replaced and the alarms put back after supper though. Both are located in the kitchen area which sort of makes sense but dang...they hurt! Besides...the cooler containing adult beverages will usually be outside.

My trailer is a combo and I don't have a divider in it. Joe tends to stand sort of sideways so I was concerned he'd stomp on the hay or get the bale moved under him which could cause more problems. I think I can tie one or 2 inside though.

Nuffin wrong with sleeping in the trailer! I know several that do that and I would have if I'd ever gone somewhere and needed to. If cots were stragically placed, you might not need the slippers.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  11:11:41 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never done it, but would it take much to put a rack on the top of the trailer for hay? And maybe a side ladder to reach it? Might be a pain to get the hay up there, but it wouldn't be any harder than a hay mow for feeding a horse in camp. Of course this might not work in bad weather.

When it comes to hay, I've always done like Harv; put the hay in the spare space of my 2-horse trailer and wrap it up in a tarp if there's a possibility of rain. I'll probably do the same thing with my Corn Pro once I get it.

Also, I thought the smaller table in the dressing room would help so I could get some things off the floor and within easier reach while in camp. Seems like when I camp out of my trailer everything ends up on the floor for lack of anywhere else to put it.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 04/21/2010 11:15:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  12:01:19 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PG, have fun @ Bass Pro.....My dream Place....
I agree about cooking out doors.....Hate the alarms and getting the cooking smells in the living area.

dunhorse, LOVE the shepards hook thing.... I got one just rusting up in the barn..

Our hint....a standard bale of hay will just slide into 55 gal contracters plastic bag. Twist tie it shut and laugh at the rain.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  12:20:10 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

The fire alarm & CO2 alarm *might* have gone off with ear piercing screeches which only stopped when the batteries were removed..... just sayin.

Hey, I hear ya! Sometimes our alarm company calls and when I answer the phone they just say, "Is Deb cooking again?"

Just kiddin', dear.

Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  12:33:01 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PG, we take a Coleman 2 burner stove and a very cheap, rectangular charcoal grill with us when we camp. Not only do we grill meats, but it's great for pizzas and veggies. I have NEVER used the gas stove in the trailer. It's either microwave or cooking outside.

I've had good luck with the commercial bale bags if I'm only taking a bale or two; like Parrothead we use the contractor trash bags to bag hay bales if we're going to haul them in the back of the truck.

We also have a tiny wooden folding table that sets outside just at the electrical outlet where we put the coffe maker, so you don't have to go back inside to get more coffee.

RH, we use those large plastic multiple-drawers in the trailer for lots of supplies..keeps things organized, can move outside in good weather, & they're cheap.

What fun! I love getting camping tips.

If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tons of good tips! ::: runs out to buy new things for camping :::

Harv - put a small tarp down on the trailer floor before setting up camp, then there is no need for slippers

My most favorite investment is the 48 gallon water tank that I keep in my trailer. Other than making sure the trailer is fairly level (so the water will drain out) it's been the cat's meow, no more hauling water buckets across the campground.

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Juli, yeah I tried that once and somehow my catalytic heater got tipped over and melted the tarp! Lucky I didn't succumb during that trip!

Tanks! Yeah! Adam just commandeered (borrowed indefinitely) a 150 gallon water tank off a fire truck! As soon as we get it plumbed up we will carry it in the truck to use to fill the water trough in the back pasture and also for camping. We will be able to go for several days without horse water when we get that fixed up.

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, some really good camping tips here! That little folding aluminum table that some of us have...did ya know that Meijer carries little stools to match? I keep one in the dressing room to sit on when I need to; it folds up into next to nothing.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000