Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Saddle for heavy rider?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunedee
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:05:00 PM  Show Profile Send sunedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm a big gal. My horses have short backs. I'm looking for a new saddle.

I sold the saddle in this pic because it was too long for my smaller horses. It's a 17" Circle Y.

I sold the saddle in these pics because I felt the seat was too small for me. It was a 17.5" Tucker.

So I need a new saddle. Like everybody else, I'm strapped for cash right now. I'm tempted to get the 19" synthetic that HSS sells. How do synthetics work with larger riders? Good or bad? I *think* based on the skirt length that it would work. On the other hand, I *know* the Tucker fit my horses. Should I suck it up and spend more money and go with the 18.5" seat?

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  2:31:42 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey sunedee! Welcome to ! I really don't have anything intelligent to offer on the saddle question, but just wanted to say welcome. You have a couple of nice looking horses there. Stick around and tell us more about them and you. We are in southwest/central Indiana and we have 6 horses which we thoroughly enjoy! Where are you located? What type of riding do you do?

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

sunedee
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:28:03 AM  Show Profile Send sunedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey hmeyer!

I guess I should have done an intro thread before I just jumped in, huh?

I'm located in western Kentucky. I've got 4 curlies and one belgian that's going to his new home next week. I'm severely allergic to horses which is why I have curlies.

I trail ride mostly. We hit a couple local shows last year but I don't think we'll do that again this year. No room on the trailer with all the kids going.

So here's my crew!

Moon, 6 year old curly/draft/tb cross. He's an extreme curly which means that he has little to no mane or tail hair. The "clean" look has grown on me, lol.

Murray, 5 year old curly/spotted draft cross. He's not an extreme but he doesn't grow alot of hair.

Emmy, 4 year old curly/belgian/qh cross. She is my heart horse and honestly the love of my life.

And last but not least, Sailor - curly/perch cross. He's 3.

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  07:54:06 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to DE, Sunedee!

I love the pics of your horses, especially the head shots! They all have that easy going calm look to them.

I can't comment to your saddle dilemma but you can always call the Horse Saddle Shop and talk to a saddle expert. They'll know about the construction of the saddles and be able to tell you what would be best for you.

There are several of us on the board from Indiana so we're sort of neighbors! I'm in southern Indiana.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, just HOW CUTE is that last picture???

Good luck with your saddle hunt. I'm sure with those draft crosses you're also limited by tree width, needing something up in the wider trees -- it may be just me, but it has seemed to me like a lot of the synthetics I've come across have narrow trees. Or maybe most of the folks I know who have synthetic saddles also have Arabians. Just something to check on, I guess.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

sunedee
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile Send sunedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, 'plash!! I love me some Sailor, lol. He's a good boy. That was his second show and he was only 2!

HSS has a 19" synthetic with FQHB.

I don't know. It's just the $600 is easier to swallow than $1900, you know? I think I'm probably going to just suck it up and get the Tucker though.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sunedee, welcome to DE. When I was a Big Gal, before I recently lost a bunch of weight. I rode in a 17" Big Horn synthetic saddle. I believe it fit both my horse and me well. I like the synthetics because they are so easy to clean when trailriding, and you dont' have to worry if they get wet if you're caught out in a rainstorm. Following is a pic of the saddle I had.

I don't think I have any pics of me "in the saddle", but I'll look around and see if I can find one.

I love your curlie/crosses. Also, I'm in Kentucky, too (Lexington). Would love to have an opportunity to ride with you sometime. Do you ever ride at Double J/Mammoth Cave?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  1:12:23 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eureka, I found a pic of me in the saddle!

This Big Horn was a very comfortable saddle. I loved it.

Chuck at the Horse Saddle Shop would be happy to help you find the perfect saddle.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

sunedee
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  1:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send sunedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Appygirl! It's good to know that you were happy with a synthetic. I've already talked to Chuck once. I think before I make up my mind for good, I'll call and talk to him again. I'll need to layaway if I want the Tucker anyway.

I'm about an hour and a half from Mammoth Cave. I've never been but my trailriding buddies were talking about going this year. We heard the camping facilities were really nice. I'm planning on taking a week off the second week of May so .... Maybe we'll be able to meet up?

Have you ever been down to our end of the state to go to Wrangler's Camp in the Land Between the Lakes? We ride there alot and also in the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois.

Too cool to meet another Kentucky trailrider!
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys will love riding at Mammoth Cave. Doublel J Campground is one of my favorite places to camp. Jack and Jan, the owners of Double J, are super nice and the facilities are great! Nice electric sites, or primitive camping if you desire. Stalls, pens, and turn out paddocks available for your horses. Also, NICE shower facilities, wash areas for horses, firewood for purchase....ice,soda and snacks, too too; and free wood shaving bedding for stalls and pens. Trails are very good, with most being intermediate to challenging. The perimeter trail is beginner/novice friendly. Lots of nice scenery.

I have never ridden at Wrangler's. I hear the trails are nice there, but it's a little tricky getting a good camping area since they don't do reservations.

Let me know if you and friends reserve in May, and I'll see if I can join you.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

sunedee
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile Send sunedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll definitely have to see if we can work something out. I like the idea of pens. Can you still tie your horses out? Murray will NOT stay in a stall. If he can't get out, he'll kill himself trying!

Wranglers' will accept reservations up to 6 months in advance. When we stayed in October since it was fall break, we had to make ours a couple months in advance. We still ended up with a site without water, :(

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murray would probably like the turn-out pens best. You can use those as long as you have more than one horse in them. Double J has 4 different pens. They have 13 or 14 stalls and countless metal gate open pens (probably around 20).

You can tie your horses out on high lines in primitive, but not when you're in the electric camping area. You can't tie your horses to your trailer or leave them overnight on the hitching rails.

It's good to know Wranglers will now take reservations. I'd like to ride there some day.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  7:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have any real answers, just some comments...

If you decide to go with a synthetic saddle, there are a number of different brands. This summer, I borrowed an Abetta endurance saddle from a friend, and was surprised to find I really liked it. I don't know what the western model is like to ride in, but I've noticed the trees seem to be ideal for short-backed horses, and also come in both regular and wide trees. So this is what I'd probably buy, if looking for a western synthetic.

At one time, I had a Bighorn synthetic, but didn't like it. It just didn't fit me or my horses. Everyone (and every horse!) is different, though!

Welcome to the DE, and let us know what saddle you decide to get!

EZ2SPOT

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi sunedee! I don't have any saddle advice to offer, but wanted to say welcome and love the pics of your horses! Hope you find what you need! :)

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi sunedee

those are some nice looking horses you have. Welcome!

I have a 14" Abetta round skirt for the POA bought used 5-6 years ago for the kids, and ended up riding in it...it is still going strong even though it really is wayyy to small for me. Resale is pretty good and can't beat not having to lift something heavy....esp. if tall horses......how tall are yours??

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  05:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sundee, welcome to the Forum. You have a nice herd of horses there and I like how super friendly thy all look in the photos.
(Not sure I could get used to a tail without hair though :))

I am sure Chuck can fix you up with a saddle that fits both you and your horse.

Just a caution, I am not sure that you will find one saddle that will fit both your large horses and the smaller one. I suggest you review the saddle shop's templates on your horses to make sure.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

sunedee
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:00:32 AM  Show Profile Send sunedee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your compliments on my horses. They're the light of my eyes and I'm totally barn blind so I enjoy the compliments, lol!!

So it seems most of you have had good experiences with the synthetic saddles. It's something to consider.

Thanks, Hook! I am definitely planning another chat with Chuck. How do you feel about using a thicker pad to make up for a slightly too wide saddle? I think the wide/fqhb tree will work fine on the two larger horses. Moon has a funny shaped back. A friend has had good luck working with the Skito pad people on designing a pad to fit the specific horse. I was planning on doing the same with Moon. I use a 1" 5-star pad with everybody else. Moon and Murray are the only ones undersaddle currently. Obviously I'd like a saddle that would fit everybody but I know that's not always going to happen. So again, how do you feel about finding a different pad for each situation?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000