Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Camping, Trailering, and associated Outdoor Gear
 "New" trailer, in need of TLC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tatooed Lady
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  3:09:32 PM  Show Profile Send Tatooed Lady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hubby finally caved, we had money, and we bought a horse trailer. We bought a 1977 Linville (I never heard of them, either) 2H BP. It's tall and narrow (PO claims it's an old TB trailer) at 7'H x 4 1/2'W. It's got a smallish tackroom, dutch doors so the tops are removable in hot weather, and is painted something close to ivory. New floor and the trailer had been sanded down and repainted over the last year or so.
We just replaced all 4 tires, had the wiring in our truck and on the trailer fixed so we now have lights when we EXPECT them (not like hitting the brakes and winding up with clearance lights)...Now the next "big" fix is to move the rear divider between the doors about 6" off to the right, because our girl will NOT fit in the current doorway. There'll be a little tweaking to make sure that the doors close properly and securely with the new system in place.
I also have a few boards in the nose of the trailer (in the tackroom, so no biggie) that I have to replace. Apparently the PO wasn't sure how to saw boards on the proper curve to fit, and just left the old ones in.

Then it's onto the "little" stuff, and more of the "make it PRETTY!" part. Actually, I'm starting on that now. Weatherstripping the doors, sealing the little holes and planning to do some accent painting. I want to try using Rustolem's hammered finish paint on the fenders. I used some of it on a saddle rack we've got, and I've got to say it DOES look very nice! Then I get to annoy hubby with repainting the tack room, fixing the floor, adding some self stick vinyl tiles and a hot pink bathroom rug..

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  3:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun time, huh? Sounds a lot like what we went through, although I must say your's sounds better. Ours is a 1970's-something Miley, 2 horse bumper pull, tack room in front. We had to weld in some rusted beams and new floors, etc. We never did get around to the "purty up" stuff or the paint. But, in the last 6 years we have probably put on somewhere around 50,000 miles. Time for new tires now.
Luckily, our son ended up buying a nice 4-horse gooseneck, so we don't have to rely on the little trailer all the time now.

One upper-crust lady wanted to know how we ever get our horses to go in there.... "it's not very inviting!"

Good luck!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your trailer! You need to take pics now so you can post before and after pics....and show us of course.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Tatooed Lady
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  8:34:26 PM  Show Profile Send Tatooed Lady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, not much new with the trailer...just haven't had time (and agreeable weather) to do what I want/need. But we DID replace the 5 front floorboards. I bought a $29 jigsaw at Menard's, along with 4 2"x6"x8' treated boards. Total cost was about $45, and I have one board left, and a jigsaw to show for it. ;)
Here are pics of it (before)....

I didn't take any good shots of the floor in the front pre-fix, nor is any of it really spectacular...it's all so...vanilla!
Okay, here...this is at the front of the trailer, the rock guard. It's stainless (I think?) that's got horses etched in it. Kinda cute:

Shot toward the back from the manger:

and a pic taken from behind the trailer, which would be more inclusive of the entire trailer's rear end, but it's parked kinda close to a building, so this is all ya get.

The floor in the rear of the trailer has a sheet of plywood over it, but all the boards underneath are good. I'll be yanking it ALL out soon to add some more supports underneath, just to be sure we never have any issues.
I'm considering using some rust-oleum "hammered finish" paint on the fenders in a contrasting color, as well as on the front, probably the area around the currently missing trim. I'm also looking into truck bed liner spray for the front kick area of the horse compartment, the manger and parts of the wall in the tackroom (under the manger). I figure it would add texture, protection and look nicer than what's currently there.

So...tah-dahhhhhhhh....
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  02:15:13 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like the trailer and the etchings are a nice touch!

Look forward to seeing the "after" shots, especially curious about seeing the "after" shots of the gentleman that came with the trailer.....

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Tatooed Lady
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile Send Tatooed Lady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*LOL* Killybean, the "after" shots of him won't have a can of beer in them!
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  5:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How cool. I remember when I got my first trailer. Couldn't wait to load horses and hit all the best trail riding spots. By the way I still havn't run into you on the trails. Saw your horse though. She was in her pasture eating. Maybe next year.

I whisper but my horse don't listen.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2009 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good work on the trailer.

I really like the etched stone guards. Did you do the etching?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  09:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, that etching is super nice! Wish I could get someone to do that on my trailer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000