Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 suggestions for well made, light weight saddles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ride western, for pleasure only, and have recently hurt my back/shoulder so swinging heavy saddles is now going to be a major issue.
What is out there on the market that is well made, light weight(less than 20 pounds, with short skirting lengh or rounding skirts? I know about wintecs but am not a fan--they tip down over the wither and are not that comfortable, at least for me. I love Lami Cell saddles but they are over 20 pounds. Endurance are awesome but pricey.

Is there anything else out there I could consider. Thanks for any input.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  07:49:28 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at barrel saddles? Most are very light and IMO, comfortable. I trail rode in my barrel saddle until it wore out. RH rides in one and I've seen lots of other trailriders in barrel saddles too.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Cayuse
Advanced Rider

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  11:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayuse's Homepage Send Cayuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have scanned a little for barrel saddles but it seem that alot of them now days are square skirted and really long ie. >25inches in length. I'll check out the saddle shop to see what Chuck has.
I do own a WR barrel saddle but it doesn't fit any of the horses I currently ride. Sigh. Saddle fitting for equine and human is not easy.

Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  11:25:03 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at the Fabtron synthetic saddles? I think they are about the best made synthetics. My wife loved hers, but unfortunately it did not fit her horse well and she ended up getting a Dakota to replace it. We donated the Fabtron to a theraputic riding center. It was well made, comfortable, and light weight. Nice saddle, if you like the synthetic saddles. Not sure about under 20 lbs, but probably in the 20's.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Stonehawk
Tenderfoot

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  8:02:46 PM  Show Profile Send Stonehawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Trail Master Saddles, they have a 17.5 pound saddle,ladies. I dont know anything about them , but there is a neat video explaining.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000