Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 What to look for in a trainer -Rocky under saddle-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  1:11:11 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

I will say that just down the road from me is an Amish "trainer" and lots of people send horses to him. These horses stand TIED on a concrete floor for a month. They can't lay down, they can't turn around, there's no place to get off the concrete. I just can't imagine anyone sending a horse to stand on concrete for a month. His "arena" is the bottom part of a large grain bin and I know of one horse who got hung up on a loose piece of metal, cut his leg severely & had to be put down. His "arena" is also so one can't see what he is doing..... Yet his barn is always full! I just don't get it.

I believe I know who you are talking about, PG. Isn't that the place we went to look at a mule? I remember seeing one horse with bloodied (untreated) hocks standing in one of those concrete tie stalls.

I'd certainly never take any horse of mine there.

Another story:

A friend of mine once road over to my house on a TWH horse she was "training" (per her husband's training standards). The horse, a beautiful slate gray dappled mare, was not only winded from being kept in her running walk down the asphalted road, she also had bloodied front pasterns from the training chains and bloodied "gouge" marks in her sides where she was repeatedly (and cruelly) spurred.

I looked at my friend of several years and told her, "If you ever let me see you treating a horse like this again, I will report you to the authorities." This was not traiing, this was abuse under the guise of training. I don't know what it is within the Walking Horse training sect that make trainers believe they have to use such harsh equipment and tactics to "train" their horses.

What is really sad is my friend would never have ever thought of treating a horse this way until after she married her husband, who has always trained this way.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoo Hoo! You go, Rocky! He's taking his schooling like a pro. I believe you have definitely come across the right trainer. I think Hoss has made a superb assistant trainer, too!

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to post this picture of Rocky, he is so good looking in this picture, not a little baby anymore:

He is getting dapples, he has never had dapples before.

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He IS quite a handsome fellow! But we always knew that...... hope he has a nice smooth ride for you!
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  6:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candace you deserve a lot of credit for Rocky's success! Great job with him. And kudos to you for your concern in getting a good trainer for him. The right start is so crucial.
Rocky is so grown up and such a handsome guy (love his dapples). I bet you are proud of him.
So when do you swing a leg over him?

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  08:24:58 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rocky has been doing so well. At some point (time is evasive for me lately) I will update my riding training log.

Mark did get thrown off on Rocky's 2nd ride. It was the last saturday in May and Mark decided to add a back cinch to the saddle and a horse hair dangly deal that hung from the front cinch. Rocky took a few steps and started wheeling around and off Mark went. Made me nervous since he won't wear a helmet.

May 30th:

On Sunday Mark brought his cones and set them up in severl different ways. Here Rocky is trotting around them.

I am pleased with Rocky so far, Next session Mark will ride Rocky in the small pasture behind the garage. (future site of my outdoor arena).

Mark asked Jesse and I if we wanted to sell Rocky. NOPE.

The trainer down the road said she will come down and give me lessons on Rocky and hubby can go to her place for his lessons.

Ground tying is also in Marks repertoire:

I am going to start a topic for saddle fitting, Marks saddle is a King Saddle and it doesn't look like it fits him well:

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  8:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad it was Mark, and not you! Sounds like Rocky settled down right away after that, though!

I've yet to see a professional trainer worry much about saddle fit! Part of that is because there is just no way a trainer can have a saddle fit every horse that comes in. So they tend to use whatever they personally comfortable with, & not focus too much on how it fits the horse. This saddle seems to be a bit too wide for Rocky, but doesn't look like it would be hurting him anywhere.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  09:37:08 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I read I believe Marks saddle is doing something called rock or rocking (appropriate for a horse named Rocky).

I am afraid it may be a bit painful when Mark gets on and off...etc.

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  11:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He has grown into a great looking horse! He always was cute.....but he looks great! Growing up suits him well! :)
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  12:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There might be a saddle that would fit a little better but I can't see where that saddle would be painful. It looks like it doesn't hit his withers and sits about where it should so I wouldn't worry about it.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  2:12:11 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few pic's from my 2nd ride on Rocky, the first ride was using a bareback pad and his bridle.

Using Marks saddle this ride and the 3rd ride, I fought with the stirrup length and Mark tried to raise them but I didn't notice the difference so I mostly rode with my feet out for better comfort.

Backing up is a great:

He is pretty responsive right now:

3rd Ride, I am all decked out in my New DE T-shirt.

Getting up without a mounting block is UGLY:

Urrrh

Mark said to call him if we need him, but all Rocky needs is time under saddle, and that cantering will come, not to rush it.
Mark keeps saying "I don't think you know how good a horse you have here" DUH. I KNOW .

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  4:31:26 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow, you guys look so good together! I can't believe how well Rocky has done, it is amazing. If he is this good now, I think he will be awesome with more saddle time.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  4:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You both look terrific, and you seem to be relaxed and confident with him!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  5:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rocky looks like he's doing really well! Nice lookin' boy!

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  11:58:53 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a GREAT series of photos!! I think you have a wonderful horse in Rocky and like you said....all he needs is saddle time! You've done a fantastic job with him!!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  09:02:56 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tack & equipment for new horse.... $1,000
Feeding & training for 1st year.... $2,000

The grin on ILJ's face..... priceless!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  11:53:59 AM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WAY TO GO!! Rocky looks absolutely gorgeous under saddle and you look wonderful riding him Here's to many happy trails for you two!

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Great job, Candace! Rocky looks relaxed and willing to do what you ask of him. I'm positive all the work you did with him prior to Mark working with him is why he's such a good horse.

Have fun!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  8:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on a job well done, by both of you!

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  09:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a nice looking guy, looks handsome and relaxed....you too!!!...congrats!

Did your trainer give you a plan/schedule to continue training on yor own?

Something I haven't done but think about setting goals or at least a sequence of things to work on.

Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  11:01:03 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Such a nice looking guy, looks handsome and relaxed....you too!!!...congrats!

Did your trainer give you a plan/schedule to continue training on yor own?

Something I haven't done but think about setting goals or at least a sequence of things to work on.

He just sid he needs more hours under saddle with me. He suggested I follow his routine a bit, something very hard for me to do as I usually don't do much groundwork before riding.

I too need a routine and I say that I am going to make a schedule and stick to it....never happened yet. I am still holding out hope.

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  4:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep up the good work girl! You guys look awesome!
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  12:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candace, my trainer doesn't do much ground work: unlike me, she can handle whatever he throws her way; doesn't seem to be a problem now . It may be another story with me when Jake gets home end of month!

I always do ground work hopefully to get his mind thinking straight...I think I will ask her to help me come up with a plan, and hopefully get together with her a couple times a month. I'd have to haul him to her...but think that would be good for both of us to be in new places.

This afternoon hauling him from the boarding facility to where the fjord eval will be in 2 wks; she will work him there with some other fjords. I'm hoping the distractions will be less than last time! HOllar fest when he saw fjords...but not other breeds..funny.

Go to Top of Page

miloacademy
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  01:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit miloacademy's Homepage Send miloacademy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think it is very informative post.
Go to Top of Page

BrianDaugherty
Tenderfoot

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  05:26:53 AM  Show Profile Send BrianDaugherty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what are the next steps in concern with their insurance?

http://www.highpointetours.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000