Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 What to look for in a trainer -Rocky under saddle-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  11:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update:

Girl from Ohio stopped by on Saturday and met Rocky and worked with him a bit. Hubby is concerned that this girl, who I LIKE, doesn't have enough experience. She has broken between 4 and 7 horses...(I heard 7 and hubby heard 4). I am heading up to the boarding facility where her horses are today.

Tomorrow (Apr 29th) I am heading up to Indiana to meet Dave Davis. Even though trailering Rocky is going to be pretty expensive, I want to hold my options open in case I can make other arrangements to get Rocky there for less.

The other trainer Dunhorsechic referred me to is still in the running as well. I missed meeting her last Wednesday due to a chicken emergency. But I am going to watch her give lessons and I was able to find the facility and it is pretty close.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  06:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. This Dave Davis? http://www.davisranchandministries.com/

Patience will win out here. A very important decision for sure.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 04/29/2009 06:08:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that Dave Davis.

I had to cancel my trip due to a personal issue and I am emotionally wiped out. I hate to ask for help, but I need positive vibes, please.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ILoveJoe

Yes that Dave Davis.

I had to cancel my trip due to a personal issue and I am emotionally wiped out. I hate to ask for help, but I need positive vibes, please.

Positive vibes coming your way NOW.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loads of positive good vibes coming your way, ILJ.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry! You've got lots of good thoughts and vibes coming your way. {{HUGS}}

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sending my positive vibes too!

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  11:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mucho positive vibes. Hang in there.

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  12:10:22 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You done been vibrated.
Hang tough, cowgirl.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  6:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
((((((BIG HUGS)))))) You can never have too many.........Hope all is better by now. I even threw up a prayer for you....you can never have too many of those either!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  6:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be time later to consider trainers...hang in there, and things will get better!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  6:58:02 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts, prayers and positive vibes are with you.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone! All the postive vibes/prayers/HUGS have helped tremendously.

I guess things work out the way they do for a reason. Last Thursday the vet came out to do coggins and shots for horses, dogs and cats. Two of the cats conveniently made themselves unavailable so I had to take them to the vets office on my day off. Wednesday I went to the vet before going to Ohio but the vet had an emergency and wasn't in that day.

So yesterday I had to get out of the house and I packed up 30 pounds of cat and tried the vet again. While I was there the vet's assistant mentioned a trainer that lives by me and gave me his information.

He called me back this morning and I just got home from meeting him at his stable. I like his approach and this may work out! My only misgiving is that Rocky would stay in a stall for the month, no pasture. But that was also the same situation with Dave. They both said when they need to work the horse they don't have the time to go out in a pasture to find the horse.

I told the man today that was an issue and asked if Rocky could be turned out in the outdoor arena, and he said that wouldn't be a problem as long as Rocky doesn't tear his fence apart.

When I was talking to him on the phone and told him what road I lived on, he interrupted and said "I KNOW EXACTLY where you are, I just drove past your house", and described Joe and Rocky.

As soon as I pulled up I saw someone I knew, some may remember this picture from a long ago post of mine:

Dakota and his awesome rider were at Ellis Farm with us and left soon after we did.

I also made the decision not to send Rocky to Ohio based on primarily distance, but I have a few concerns with crowding and manure management there. I really wanted that to work out, I had the vet draw up out of state health papers. However after my situation at home I would feel more secure with Rocky nearby, instead of two hours away so I also need to contact Dave again. Man life can throw you some curves just when you think you are trucking along without a care.

I suddenly feel like a drama queen!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  1:00:11 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's fairly common for trainers to keep horses that they're riding daily in a stall. Dave's stalls are large & he also has some round pens that he uses for them and he lets them let off steam on a lunge line as well. I imagine most trainers do that so I wouldn't worry too much about the trainer there close to you. I don't blame you for wanting to find someone closer!

I will say that just down the road from me is an Amish "trainer" and lots of people send horses to him. These horses stand TIED on a concrete floor for a month. They can't lay down, they can't turn around, there's no place to get off the concrete. I just can't imagine anyone sending a horse to stand on concrete for a month. His "arena" is the bottom part of a large grain bin and I know of one horse who got hung up on a loose piece of metal, cut his leg severely & had to be put down. His "arena" is also so one can't see what he is doing..... Yet his barn is always full! I just don't get it.

Kudos to you for checking out the person and barn and finding the right trainer!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  8:41:09 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuesday the local guy stopped while I was getting ready to get on the tractor and said he would be back in 2 hours to look at Rocky, but that he had seen him from the road the day before and REALLY liked his looks.

4 1/2 hours later he comes and looks totally pooped out, says the ladies horse he went to work on, gave him a bunch of problems...we walked out to the barn, I asked if he need a lead line or anything, but he said no. He just petted Rocky and talked to me. Mostly chastising me because I petted Rocky on his muzzle (THAT encourages him to bite) I kissed Rocky on the nose (That was a No-NO) and the hiking sandals I had slipped on to do yard work while waiting for him were also a NO-NO. He reiterated he really liked Rocky's looks and didn't like the big stocky horses (lets don't look over at JOE!)for trails.

This man said he follows Parelli a little bit, but that Parelli is too slow. He also said he has been breaking horses since he was 6-7 years old, but couldn't give me a ballpark on how many.

He said he would get back to me to let me know when he can work with Rocky. Hubby and I went to look at the stable and hubby liked the stalls and the layout, some reservations about the fact there is no one on the premises at night and he relies on neighbors to keep their eyes on the barn after hours.

I called him because I hadn't discussed how he wants to be paid, what type of bit he uses, trailering, and several other questions. He sighed very loudly when I mentioned I did not have a trailer and would need a ride to the farm (6 miles away) he said he wouldn't even hook up his trailer for less than 40 bucks, and encouraged me to get a ride from someone else. He uses a tom thumb type training bit, grass hay...wants half up front and half at the end of the month. Will call me back with references.

Yesterday I mentioned his name to a horse friend and I could tell from their reaction that they had something to say. I asked what they knew about this guy and it wasn't alot of positive. I was told they bought a horse from him, he is a horse trader and the horse they have still has issues (three years later) with the carrot stick and riding crops. The horse is also head shy but is well broke for the trail. I mentioned the guy told me he follows Parelli and disbelief was the reaction. My friends response was "Don't DO it, Please!"

SO I called the guy I had out last year, Mark Nicewonder and spoke to him again. He has finished 5 more horses since last year and is still willing to come here and work with Rocky at home while hubby and/or I are here.

He is coming back on Tuesday. Instead of a flat rate per month he is now charging 30 dollars per hour. He'll start with ground work and we'll go from there.

He still spends 2 hours on a session. If I think it is going to blow Rocky's mind I will be here to point out that Rocky may need a break.

Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  02:04:49 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodness! I think that...
quote:
Yesterday I mentioned his name to a horse friend and I could tell from their reaction that they had something to say. I asked what they knew about this guy and it wasn't alot of positive. I was told they bought a horse from him, he is a horse trader and the horse they have still has issues (three years later) with the carrot stick and riding crops. The horse is also head shy but is well broke for the trail. I mentioned the guy told me he follows Parelli and disbelief was the reaction. My friends response was "Don't DO it, Please!"

is a good reason to stay away from THAT guy!
You can always try Mark Nicewonder and just discontinue if you or hubby don't like what's going on. Can you get the owner's names of the last 5 horses he finished?

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  06:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally like the idea of keeping Rocky at home and having the trainer come by and work with Rocky and you. Less stress for you and Rocky too.

Hopefully he will leave you some "homework" between lessons and you will both progress.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  06:27:59 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was Rocky's 5th session with Mark.

His first sessions were all about ground work (Clinton Anderson style) and respecting your space.

Rocky has done very well.

Lungeing for respect stage 1 on Friday the 15th.

Yesterday

On Tuesday, Mark tacked Rocky up and got on Rocky by laying over the saddle and desenstizing him by flapping everything he could. Rocky stood like a champ.

Yesterday after the recap session of ground work, Rocky was tacked up again and this time Mark got up into the saddle and did some flexing before walking out.

Our friends who have also watched Rocky grow up, came out to watch his first ride. One of them manned my camera for me while I stayed inside the dry lot with Mark and Rocky.

Mark got off, then got back on and rode some more. About 45 minutes total.

Joe worried that his days of lazing around are over.

Hoss got involved.

Rocky relaxed.

Helicopter exercise after the ride.

Rocky did very well and we were all very proud of him. The general consensus is that Rocky is very smart!

Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  09:25:02 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way to go Rocky!! Sounds and looks like he did great!
Now it's time to pony up for a truck and trailer, so you can bring them to the DE ride!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  2:22:52 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Rocky is doing really well & I'm sure Mark appreciates all the training and desensitization you've done.

Great job, ILJ, Rocky & Mark (and Hoss)!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  6:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm impressed! Rocky seems to have taken everything well, and looks so relaxed in all the pictures. None of this seems to have stressed him at all!

It looks like you found the right trainer for both you and Rocky!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  10:41:53 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who knows his next session he may be a devil.

I don't think I am going to get off work for the DE ride. I'll know tomorrow. But friends and hubby were talking about a horse trailer last night. A three horse slant load, gooseneck with living quarters for 19k-ish.

I kinda remind Mark that I have already done so much with Rocky already, but I don't want to minimize what he has done with Rocky. My friends were impressed with how calm and quiet and patient this guy is with Rocky.

Joe is really worried about this whole turn of events. During the whip cracking parts, Joe will walk away, or come and position himself behind me. At one point Rocky was yawning and I jokingly said "Quit scaring my horse!" Mark looked over and said "You mean JOE?"

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  05:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rocky sure looks grown up and ready to work.

I like the idea of having the trainer come to your place and work. Less stressful for the horse and you can learn as he learns.

Good job.

BTW, what is the purpose of the rope around his neck in the first couple of pictures.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 05/22/2009 05:47:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hook.

The rope around his neck is the rope from the carrot stick or handy stick. The rope is used as a driving line, any pressure behind that line move the hindquarters and in front moves the forequarters.

I think it is also at this point being used as a cue to Rocky that the exercise has changed to lunging for respect stage one/two instead of yielding.

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:15:17 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He is doing so good! Candace, you really do deserve a big part of the credit for how well he is doing for Mark. You laid the groundwork for all that Mark is doing, and it certainly wouldn't be going so well and smoothly without all that you did before Mark came into the picture. Congratulations!

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000