Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Training
 Showing on the Lounge Line
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  3:57:34 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been hired to train a mostly untouched yearling for AQHA lounge line classes. I have broken horses to the lounge line but never to show. What does a yearling need to know to successfully compete in these classes? Any good resources?

This could be all kinds of fun

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  5:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trained and showed Profit longe line his yearling year. I went to Patti Carter - AQHA judge - and she helped me with the finer points.

You need to train them to longe without pulling on the rope. They are expected to use the whole circle, you get marked down if they come in too close. You want them to walk, trot and canter on command - I used kisses and clucks as upward cues and walk and trot as downward cues. One important thing is to have them in the proper frame and tracking properly. You will get marked down badly if they travel with their head in and their butt out or the opposite.

If I remember you have 1 and half minutes on each side to work. I walked one circle, trotted 2 and cantered until the whistle blew to reverse. The horse needs to be taught to reserve by itself on command. You are looking for soft, slow, fluid, relaxed and willing.

Either before or after your go you will stand up for inspection, so the horse needs to learn to stand up and be presented like in a halter class.

One thing about doing longe line, is they are little babies so you have to treat them as such. I longed Profit for exactly 10 minutes a day - 5 minutes on each side. I used a watch and made sure he didn't work for any more than that. He was going to be my forever riding horse and I wanted him to remain sound forever. You will see some people who longe the babies for an hour or so.

With your guy, I would start with walking and trotting and standing up practise. Get control of his mind first, and then start the longe line training at the walk until that is really really solid. Then add the trot and if the walk is really solid the trot won't take very long. I didn't canter Profit until about 3 weeks before the futurity - I figured he knew how to canter already and was broke to longe so I didn't need to do much work on it. When I did canter, I would canter once or twice around, break him to a trot and then do it again. In the class they basically will only work 2 or 3 circles at any gait then they have to change.

I know I've been awfully general, if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll help if I can.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  09:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know much about showing on lines. But I'd add... your body position should (eventually) be all the cue the horse needs. If your belly button is pointed behind the horse's midline, you should get forward motion. If it is pointed in front of their head they should stop (and hopefully turn in), and if it is pointed at their butt or behind, they should speed up. Every horse I've ever worked with seems to understand that and with a little verbal reinforcement they quickly get reliable and smooth.
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  11:30:22 AM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Hook and Arenadirt

Thank you for the information!

How did you get Profit in the right frame?

As our training progresses I am sure I will have questions and appreciate your offer for assistance.

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  12:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by homein3turns

How did you get Profit in the right frame?

Basically the same way you frame a riding horse. Use the whip and push from behind, and do a tug to slow the front end - then let them go. If they are listening well they should frame up somewhat for you, when they fall apart repeat. It doesn't take long for them to catch on, the biggest thing you have to remember is they are using new muscles to do this, so you only do it for a short time each day otherwise they will get sore and start fighting you.

By doing it this way, the horse is still moving freely, and foward - using his behind properly, elevating his shoulders and is learning to stay soft and relaxed.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000