Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Troxel cowboy hat helmet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  9:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got a chance to use the Troxel cowboy hat helmet that I ordered from Chuck last fall. Partly, I needed someone else along to take pictures so that you all could see what it looks like. Also partly, it needed some extra padding and I finally got around to arranging that. The helmet that they put inside the cowboy hat is pretty hard stiff foam with very little padding at all, and it had a fairly flat spot at the top of the head -- whereas I, apparently, have a pointier head. With a few pieces trimmed from a new thin saddle pad (it was too long when I bought it, and I kept the trimmed-off bits "just in case"), the top was much more comfy.

The helmet comes with a note from Troxel pointing out that fitting a full certified safety helmet inside a normal-size cowboy hat is impossible, and therefore this cowboy-hat-helmet will look very large; they also state that it often doesn't look nearly as out-of-proportion when you're mounted on a horse. So we took pictures both ways so that you can judge that for yourselves.

First, on the ground:

From the side isn't nearly as bulky-looking as from the front:

Then on horseback:

So, my opinions:
PROS
- has a brim to keep sun out of your eyes (didn't get to test with rain, yay)
- thanks to chin strap, it stays on your head if you happen to decide to gallop
- keeps head very warm since it is black in color and has no vents

CONS
- looks (a bit!) dorky. On the other hand, when I called back to my riding buddy to joke "does this helmet make my butt look big?", he said it makes it look positively miniscule. Benefit? Hmmm.
- shape of helmet might not fit all heads, better with extra after-market padding added
- straps not quite as adjustable as on other helmet models

Your humble product reviewer,
'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log

Edited by - puddleplasher on 02/17/2009 02:31:25 AM

hoopski
Advanced Rider

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  11:11:44 PM  Show Profile Send hoopski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please take this in the humorous spirit that it is intended. And don't quit using it because of my dopey opinions.

It kind of reminds me of the munchkin coroner.

Yes it is too big but it might be the best possible look for one these guys.

Edited by - hoopski on 02/16/2009 11:12:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  02:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I'm thinking of flattening out one side of the brim and adding a big foofy ostrich plume or seven. Maybe the musketeer look will be more appropriate, though it might scare the bejeezus out of the horses.

'plash

'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  03:53:45 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hoopski

Please take this in the humorous spirit that it is intended. And don't quit using it because of my dopey opinions.

It kind of reminds me of the munchkin coroner.

Yes it is too big but it might be the best possible look for one these guys.

OMG hoopski, I am STILL laughing!!!!

Hoss Cartwright came to mind...but his hat wasn't black.

Seriously though, it's not too bad!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5099 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  07:59:03 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least it keeps Pepper in the shade and she won't get wet if it rains!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is that where they get the term " ten gallon hat?"

Seriously, I think your idea of a muskateer hat would be good! Think of it as a desensitizing object.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5983 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  8:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. If it looks a good on me as you I might just give it a try if I was sure it would fit.

The sizing seemed to be too small for my head. I need at least 7 1/4. Do you think it fits a bit tighter or a bit larger than the stated size?

Thanks for the pictures.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Actually, it probably would look smaller on a mans head. You have a small, feminine face so the size is more noticable I think. Add to that a mans bigger body size, and you might not give it a second look.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  1:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hook, the size according to Troxel (7+1/8) is theoretically the same size as my regular Troxel riding helmet, but it seems to me that this one is a little roomier. That might have been the difference in shape and padding, who knows. For what it's worth, the actual brim-level measurement of the inside of this one is 8 1/2" from front to back and 6 1/8" from side to side. This is the actual opening in the hard foam helmet; padding would reduce these numbers. The padding included with the helmet wasn't very thick, so only reduces it by 1/4" or so.

I notice on the Troxel website they seem to be offering a similar sort of thing in an English Derby hat, for you dressage types.

'plash

'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3394 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been waiting for someone to post how they like the cowboy hat helmets. I think it looks pretty good.....do you think it offers the same amount of protection?

Hoopski..funny!
Go to Top of Page

canine46
Beginning Rider

60 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  1:12:01 PM  Show Profile Send canine46 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think it looks fine! and your wearing a helmet, so i think it's great!
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  2:32:59 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plash I think you look cute in it!! You're all of 16 right??
That's not meant to be offensive either

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Edited by - horsehugger2000 on 02/20/2009 2:35:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5983 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  8:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puddleplasher

Hook, the size according to Troxel (7+1/8) is theoretically the same size as my regular Troxel riding helmet, but it seems to me that this one is a little roomier. That might have been the difference in shape and padding, who knows. For what it's worth, the actual brim-level measurement of the inside of this one is 8 1/2" from front to back and 6 1/8" from side to side. This is the actual opening in the hard foam helmet; padding would reduce these numbers. The padding included with the helmet wasn't very thick, so only reduces it by 1/4" or so.

I notice on the Troxel website they seem to be offering a similar sort of thing in an English Derby hat, for you dressage types.

'plash

Thanks 'plash. I am going to measure my existing helmet and compare it with these. I do like the looks of this one.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  7:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sticky? Ok, maybe it's useful but hardly worth a sticky I wouldn't think.

My birthday was yesterday, horsehugger, so as a newly-minted 43 year old, I appreciated your compliment!

'plash

'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03