Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 What do you do for a living???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun topic Wendi.
I feel like I am getting to know each person better.
After a career(?) which started as a stay at home mom for 10 years and 20 years as a Jill of all trades in the RV industry, I am now RETIRED. Yep outa work and loving it. I firmly believe the ability to do nothing is highly under rated. It takes great planning and diligence to remain thoroughly unproductive. Mr. Parrot (who retired after 37 years at our local public natural gas service company and refuses to tell folks what he used to do cause he never wants to have to do it again) is teaching me everything he knows about the art of creative down time.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess you could say I'm in a business that will always be around in one form or another. In a roundabout way, I work for the Catholic Church... though I'm not Catholic. I've spent the last 32 years of my life working for a business that makes church offering envelopes for the better part of the U.S.

I'm a production employee and spend the better part of my working hours running a collation machine. I'm in charge of making sure the envelopes are in the proper order for the parishioner's use before they go to the mailers to be printed and sent out.

Right now, business is booming... or was, LOL, now that Christmas is here. You wouldn't begin to believe all the things churches ask their parishioners to give their money for. Also, my job is the reason I haven't been around lately. Lots & lots of overtime. Another churh offering company is moving to another location, and we ended up taking up the slack for them in the meantime. Now, we've just been informed that we bought out another company somewhere in New Jersey. This will add over 100 more churches to our workload. How many envelopes do we crank out? Try around a million per shift! That's around 3 million every 24 hours. I, myself, put out anywhere from around 50 to 80 thousand envelopes every working night(I work 2nd shift from 3 to 11 pm.

My husband(Steve) worked for a company that made wooden pizza peels. You know... what pizza places use to slip pizzas in and out of the oven with. He did this for over 35 years when he was fired for medical reasons. He's been unemployed since the end of September last year with no job in sight. We're already dipping into one of our retirement funds to keep us afloat, since my job doesn't come close to meeting the bills. Praise the Lord for unemployment benefits.

I guess I should add that I'm now pursuing the chance to become a published author in my spare time. I know it's a long shot, but I like writing and telling stories.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 12/25/2008 10:08:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  2:41:01 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Parrothead

Fun topic Wendi.
I feel like I am getting to know each person better.
After a career(?) which started as a stay at home mom for 10 years and 20 years as a Jill of all trades in the RV industry, I am now RETIRED. Yep outa work and loving it. I firmly believe the ability to do nothing is highly under rated. It takes great planning and diligence to remain thoroughly unproductive. Mr. Parrot (who retired after 37 years at our local public natural gas service company and refuses to tell folks what he used to do cause he never wants to have to do it again) is teaching me everything he knows about the art of creative down time.

I think you missed your mark by not entertaining creative writing, or at least writing articles for the local newspaper

Your retirement job description has to be the best I have ever read

In a previous life, I was an engineering assistant to mechanical and nuclear engineers at a company that custom-designed power generating equipment for commercial use and nuclear standby (standby being the operative here - lol)

The company started phasing many of us out and eventually closed around 2002 after being in business since 1833.

After 17 years with the company, I was permanently layed off in 1998. I had lost my son and only child in a car accident five years previous to that, so I rented out my house, loaded up my horses, dogs & cat, and moved us to Southern California. I bought a small piece of horse property in SoCal, and learned how to be a Planner/Scheduler for a worldwide manufacturer of semi-conductor die. I knew zip about being a Planner/Scheduler, but my test scores were so high on surfing around their 7 integrated software packages, that they hired me.

I met Mr. WTW (thru the dumbest of events - lol lol)out there. We bought property in Middle Tennessee and a year later decided to cash out of SoCal while it was still a hot Seller's market. We've been here five years and it will take a battallion to get me off this hill-lol

While I could be fully retired, I choose to keep my four horses, the dogs and the cats, so I am semi-retired and work at the local branch of the insurance company that insures everything we own. That comes in might handy if I need to update or change anything on our policies - lol lol

I get to collect early social security next May, but will still keep working because it is only 22 hours/wk, I like my job most of the time, and my boss is like a beloved niece to me -------she has done her mama proud

Mr. WTW has worked for Ford for more than 40 years as a parts manager. He still bracket races a '90 Mustang at NHRA sanctioned events but not to the extent he used to. He made it to Pinks-all-Out near Atlanta, GA last year. He didn't make it to the top qualifiers, but had enough fun meeting and talking to folks that he came home "winning" anyway

Hopefully the small, local dealership he now works at will stay in business at least two more years until he can collect early S.S.

He younger than me by 18 months - lol lol lol
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  12:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been an RN for 31 yrs; done different stuff in the field; oncology,jail nurse, medical surgical, home care and the last 18 yrs specialized in wound/ostomy/continence nursing; so basically a consultant in that field. Been with UC San Diego the last 23 yrs and see NO END in sight to retirement. Divorced mom, still have twin almost 16 y/o girls at home, 2 dogs + the 3 horses.= ...$$$$$$....in another 10 yrs will evaluate!

Nancy....the prisoners probably dream of the woman behind the voice!! Ha!

Edited by - fracturedbones on 12/26/2008 12:15:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  07:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too, was a gas station attendant, as well as a Pizza and Drugstore delivery person to help pay the bills while I worked my way through he University of Waterloo to graduate with a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Degree. ( A long time ago)

Since then I have held several Engineering positions in various Industries from Home Appliances and Dental Bur Manufacturing to the Automotive Parts Industry. For the last 25 years or so I have managed auto parts plants in Southern Ontario. I have been with my present employer, who make Brake Pedals and Throttle Controls, for all of the big three and most of the transplants, for almost 10 years. I have managed all three of our Ontario locations with a short stint in England.

In my current assignment I am responsible for the costing and quoting of New Business for our world wide operations. The current economic downturn has hit us as well but we are looking forward to improved conditions and some new business awards in 2009.

Mrs Hook and I have been married for 37 years, have two grown children, (a boy and a girl), one grandchild and three step grandkids. We have our own little piece of paradise here where we have lived for the last 25 years with our menagerie of horses, dogs, cats and birds.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awww shucks wtw. Thank you. Last night Mr. Parrot and I assembled around the wood burner and a few bottles of wine for our yearly planning discussion. It was aggreed that if we sold up the farmette, horses, moved to town and got mini jobs, our stanard of living could be much higher. Then we both looked at each other and said NAWWWW ain't gonna happen.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Arenadirt
Trainer

USA
670 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arenadirt's Homepage Send Arenadirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was with an outdoor first aid and medical kit company from 1991-2000. We sold that comany to another company and I went into radio. Was the production mgr (did all the production) for 3 stations and carried an airshift for 7 years until 1997. Then went back into the Outdoor FA biz (non-compete ran out) and started an internet business: www.rescue-essentials.com
It's not the best time to have a startup, but we're growing at a healthy clip despite ourselves (and the economy). If anyone here wants anything from that site, please send me a PM and I'll set up a discount program for you.

Would rather be cutting cows for a living, but the competition is... fierce to say the least.

Go to Top of Page

Red
Beginning Rider

129 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  12:08:53 PM  Show Profile Send Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a registered nurse specializing in orthopedics and neurosurgery, but my main area is sports medicine. I am currently working on finishing my masters in nursing in innovation and intra/entrepreneurship (basically looking for new niches in the nursing profession). My hubbie is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and is one of the team docs for the university nearby. We have a 7 yr old who adores our horses and 2 miniature schnauzers- Lambeau and Maizy (my hubbie is a Green Bay packers fan and I went to Michigan so the dogs got names accordingly- lol)

BLACKIE: National Show Horse
BIG RED: sorrel quarterhorse
JAKE: sorrel/chestnut quarterhorse
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  09:06:24 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arena,

Nice store! Would any of the first aid kits fit in a saddle bag?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

catlpenr
Tenderfoot

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  2:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit catlpenr's Homepage Send catlpenr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 1st post. I really enjoyed reading all the different professions members have.

I work as an accounting clerk for a small CPA/Law firm. I've been in accounting a very long time. Worked for large companies but I prefer the smaller ones.

I'm really enjoying the forum. I've been reading for days.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  05:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catlpenr

My 1st post. I really enjoyed reading all the different professions members have.

I work as an accounting clerk for a small CPA/Law firm. I've been in accounting a very long time. Worked for large companies but I prefer the smaller ones.

I'm really enjoying the forum. I've been reading for days.

Hi Jan;

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you aboard. Tell as a bit more about yourself, your horses and what made you decide to come out of "lurkdom".

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi there Jan. Glad you decided to post! There is sure a lot of good information on this forum, I too read for days before my first post.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  5:17:44 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan, and welcome!

Have horses??? You KNOW that we love PICTURES!!!

Ok...just went to your Profile info. Is that your horse on your profile page?? GORGEOUS!! ...and I see you're from Norman. Went to school with two girls from the area loooong ago that were from there. Have you lived there a long time?

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska

Edited by - killybean907 on 03/09/2009 5:22:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arena;
Oh my gosh...my husband will LOVE your online store! Can't wait to show it to him.
He asked to be "paid" in SAM splints for his extra job of overseeing the EMS Department at our local hospital. He wanted them delivered "in a brown paper bag" as his payment, in lieu of money. He's kidding, of course. (well, kinda. he really wants the splints to give to participants of his wilderness first aid course)

Now he can just skip hassling the hospital and order them from you!

If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.
Go to Top of Page

catlpenr
Tenderfoot

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  11:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit catlpenr's Homepage Send catlpenr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't been checking back here much. Busy this time of year with tax stuff with my job.

I and my hubby have 5 horses. I've had horses since I was pretty young over 40 years now. He's been involved since we got married so for 15 years.

We have a mix. We have 3 Paints/Pintos, 1 QH and a Morgan. I put my name on the QH and 1 of the Paints/Pintos. The Morgan is our sons but he has grown up and married and doesn't have any interest in her anymore so she's an ornament but a very sweet one.

My QH is 29. I've had him for 20 years and he's been a go anywhere do anything horse. Time kinda caught up to both of us and early last year when I realized I would be 60 at the end of the year I thought I really need to do some more trails. Our Team Penning days were probably over. One of my horsey friends told me that I probably wouldn't want to do trails or penning on my Sonny anymore that he should be retired. I started looking around and bought a 3 year old Paint/Pinto, bred somewhat the same as my QH. I love the Sonny Dee Bar breeding.

I took the new horse to a trainer that failed badly, found another that had to leave the state to help his folks after 2 months, then found one that got the job done with the new horse Hershey. Horse has been in training over a year now but with the trainer that got the job done 6 months. I found that I wanted to possibly go back to the show pen. Hadn't done that for 20 years. But in the 80's I showed Paint/Pinto with a colt I raised that I lost when he was 8 to a rare illness. I bought Sonny after that and did something totally different. So here I am making a circle and considering going back to what I left many years ago.

I needed to get a show saddle, bridle, the stuff. I found this website which helped soooo much with things about saddles and bridles, fit etc.

I got everything. At this point though I'm not so sure I want to participate because I can't handle the unnatural way of going the horses are required or forced to do. I went to watch a show last weekend. I may still show my horse but I will be loping a 3 beat lope and joging a 2 beat jog. This looking lame stuff is wrong. I'll play for awhile. At the same time my young horse does trail, works cattle and is a blast.

This website has been so helpful on many things. I do have a question though. My offside latigo strap hangs down lots. I noticed the saddles at the show had them tucked in some how or maybe doubled over. My cinch is a Professional Choice and has what I would call a keeper but the rest of the latigo still hangs way down. I don't know what to do about that. I didn't see any latigo on the offside of the folks showing. They tucked it somewhere or cut it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I do really enjoy all the wealth of info you all share.

I've lived in Norman, OK for nearly 12 years. Moved to Oklahoma in 1976. I was born and raised in California. I consider myself an Okie now though. Love the open spaces. I moved here for Northern California when I realized it was harder and harder to have horses in the part of California I lived in. I ventured here because my mom's family was here so here. I've not reqretted it but love to visit my friends and home state.
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  03:09:38 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an interesting and fun life with horses you've had!! I just got back to having a horse after a lot of years...and can't believe the time I've lost NOT having horses! I say go for the gusto and have fun!!!

The off billet anchors the cinch to the rigging rings on the off side. Another latigo (which is what I think you must have) is sometimes used, it is more common to use an off billet that buckles right up (and they do have cinches where you tuck in the end). Easier, but why buy a new one?.
The half-breed off billet is a specialized version of the off billet. It's about five feet long and is designed to be both wrapped around the cinch and dee rings and fastened to the cinch buckle tongue.
I say whatever works for you!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

tuffy2712
Trainer

646 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  6:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send tuffy2712 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have worked at the same bank for over 9 years. I was a teller for 7 years. I have been behind the scenes working in the Installment Loan Dept. for 2 years.

Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

"And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Act 2:21 NLT

Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Edited by - horsehugger2000 on 02/28/2010 07:23:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendi, hard day at work? I think you posted this in the wrong thread, if you are referring to your riding time!

But, that is a nice number of hours, and much better than I did!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

anniepops
Beginning Rider

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:28:35 AM  Show Profile Send anniepops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wot an absolutely brilliant topic, have been enthralled reading all the replies, 'fraid I can't compete with all these jobs, I will be 70 in September and been retired for a long time now, many moons ago worked in a big city police communications department, and then over time did various bits n pieces jobs to fit in with the kids. got divorced in 1977 and then married a great guy in '81 and been half way round the world with him and his job. now living in north of england with my first (and probably last) horses Molly and Poppy and am still very much learning, but having a ball and dont want to ever stop.
Did a lot of dog rescue work when we lived in the south, and now have a corgieXjack Russell and an elderly welsh springer, plus a feral cat that lives in the hay shed, altho not so feral now.
just love this site.
annie

No foot - No horse

Edited by - anniepops on 02/27/2010 11:30:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2016 :  7:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...so it's been a few years since this has been updated. Any changes in professions?

I still sell saddles...

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2016 :  7:57:15 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still retired from teaching but still have my PT job at the library in town. Hubby retired though and he has really cramped my riding time!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2016 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am now retired but working part time renovating our old farmhouse.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  11:30:45 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deb and I both retired June 1st. She is now babysitting our first grandson, now 10 months old, for 3 days a week while I hold down the ranch. Like I've heard so many say, "Don't know how I ever found time to work!" Since retirement we have made horse trips to Hocking Hills, Shawnee Natl Forest, Brown Co State Park and the Black Hills of South Dakota. Plus, we also made a trip to the Heber Valley Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Heber City, Utah in October.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  5:48:29 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm retired too. My last work day was a week ago today. And my husband Steve has been on disability since 2009.

Here's a video of me performing one of my own songs on native American flute at my retirement party. The flute is a custom made double that I love tinkering around with. And no, I didn't make the flute. lol:

https://youtu.be/nTKUGRG08aY

Ginger

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 01/16/2017 5:51:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000