Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Tracking Ride Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  09:55:26 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay folks! Do we want to do this??

If so, we need to finalize the guidelines. I don't know how other organizations keep records but I was thinking this would be fairly laid back and informal. If I am to keep the records (and I'm more than willing to pass on that!), I'd think an email listing the total number of hours per horse per month would work.

Do we want time on the horse (with or without a saddle) ONLY? Lunch breaks, potty breaks or dismounts (scheduled or unscheduled) would not be included?

Do we want separate records for each horse? Personally, I'd like that and we could always total the times for each person.

Any thoughts?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm up for this. Very informal honor system works best for me. I would like to be able to record each horse I ride and my(the humans) total in saddle time. I don't care that much for patches or chevons but if they are important to RedHawk maybe she would source them out and get costs for us.
Time on ground, either laying or eating should not count, day/date, location, conditions, would be cool. PaintGal, I can help with the paper work.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  12:11:48 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to be just an observer from the sidelines. You folks can make this up any way you wish since I don't plan to participate at this time. I think I'll just sit back and see how everything works out first.

One suggestion, though, would be to let people who drive their horses account for those hours, too. This would have to be while the horse is pulling any type of wheeled vehicle or one with runners such as a sleigh or sled made for passengers. In other words; ground driving or long lining wouldn't count.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  8:55:41 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just for fun and the more the merrier so why not participate?

Should driving have it's own category or be lumped into "saddle time"?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  11:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say driving should be lumped in with riding1

Regarding getting off the horse, I think it kind of depends! You would have to use some common sense here. Let's say somebody gets off to tighten a cinch...I think it would be silly to have to time it & subract that time. On the other hand, somebody stopping for a half-hour lunch break should deduct that time.

RH, if you are already tracking your time for FAHR, anyway, seems like it would be no trouble to e-mail in a monthly total to whoever is keeping track of it for the DE. That's how I'm going to do it, anyway. For example, I just looked at my FAHR chart, and have 8 hours for November...a pretty poor showing, but we we sure didn't have much good riding weather this month!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  02:27:39 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Count me in.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  1:17:59 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote

PaintGal is correct. We need to get this thing finalized. I for one am really looking forward to this. It may just be the motivation I need to keep from being slothful all winter so my suggestions are:

1) Records will be kept for amount of time not distance.

2) Equine refers to all rideable or drivable animals. If you have a riding steer as I have seen, by all means it counts.

3) Saddle time also means driving time, but not ground work. Your feet need to be off the ground.

4) Saddle time means "use your common sense". If you take lunch or a long break, deduct the time, if a short "unforeseen dismount" or potty break occurs, don't worry about it.

5) We will use the HONOR system and this is for FUN. Not a contest between anyone. You may record 100 hours a month when you actually rode 20, and only you and God will know.

6) You may wish to keep track of you, and each horse you ride separately.

7) Horseless people may record time for whatever horse they can beg, borrow, or steal.

8) If we have not left it until too late perhaps Chuck would still do this for us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could likely come up with a very simple way of entering times and displaying totals and such online.

Chuck
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9) If Chuck would perfer I can email out an excel form to be used that can then be emailed back to me and I can track totals. (Keep the cheering down Karen) Maybe as per sample.

Name Equine Name Date Time Weather Special event/sighting

10)Do we need a vote or something???

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  1:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One easy way is to use Google Documents. I have a basic spreadsheet at http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pRkTvHpKGPou1MCad8F0XWg&output=html

The document can be viewed by everyone, but you can also assign individuals to maintain records.

I would assign a sheet to a group of riders, say 4 or 5 riders per group. Then have 1 group leader that would be responsible for updating the spreadsheet for the riding times. Have a main page that shows group totals, then a sheet will also show individual rider's totals for each group.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  1:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jill
That all sounds really good.

I probably won't particpate because - well - I can't even remember my to write things on the grocery list - and then leave it at home on a regular basis. How am I going to remember to look at the clock both before and after I ride - and then remember to go write it down!!!

I could guess, but my concept of time isn't as accurate as some and I kill watches, so don't even have one to check.

Guess I will sit on the sidelines and cheer!!!

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jill's summary sounds great to me!

Fern, stick a clock up in the arena where you can see it. This is just for fun and who cares if you guesstimate your time if you can't record it every time.

Chuck, WAY COOL on the Spreadsheet! I had to play a little and created one here to see what it would look like filled in. Each of us could create a spreadsheet and maybe link the URL in our sigs and I'm not sure after that. LOL! I think it'd be neat to be able to get a total for each participate and a total for the number of hours ridden by DE members in a year.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  2:31:20 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW.. what will they think of next! That looks great PaintGal. This computer stuff just amazes me.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added another column "Type of Riding" to my example. I thought it would be fun to see why we're riding....training, conditioning, fun, etc.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in! Are we starting now, December 1st, or the beginning of the year? Someone may have to explain to me about the spreadsheet and where to post it once we get the particulars figured out.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  5:22:58 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan. 1 '09 - Dec. 31 '09 was what I was thinking.

I think you'd need a Google account to use the spreadsheet option. http://docs.google.com is the page where you can choose the spreadsheet. You'll have to create your own but I'd think we'd need to standardize them. The one I did was just an example and we don't have to use it.

I'd still like to see a chart with all participant's hours listed for each month and would think that chart would include hours for each horse only. This is still in the planning stages so if someone has a suggestion, please post it!

For those that can't do the spreadsheet, maybe someone else could make it for you. I'd offer to do them but I'm on dial-up and doing stuff like that takes forever.

Maybe we could have a sticky with all the links to the spreadsheets if we keep them online.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

1Walks1Trots
Advanced Rider

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  5:32:55 PM  Show Profile Send 1Walks1Trots a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're in!! If someone could either email or post a spreadsheet for me to save and fill out, it'd be helpful. :)

*Riding smoothly with Spotted Saddle Horses "Thunder" and "Sugar"*
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  05:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

I added another column "Type of Riding" to my example. I thought it would be fun to see why we're riding....training, conditioning, fun, etc.

I think I was rding with you in Wyoming.

PaintGal's DE Riding Record : Sheet1 

NAME     HORSE DATE HOURS WHERE WEATHER WHO Type of Riding  

PaintGal Bud 11/30/2008 0.5 Home COLD Alone steeplechasing 
 PaintGal Joe 11/30/2008 10 Wyoming Sunny 70 DE Crew chasin cows 

published via Google Docs - updated automatically every 5 minutes Edit this page (if you have permission) 

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  06:53:55 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been keeping track since october and really like knowing how much time I spend in the saddle. I have even made my own spreadsheet that I am going to print out to use.
BethAnn

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  5:59:02 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds Great!

Only thing is the google thing. I'm just going to make up my own sheet almost exactly like the one shown, but on a program I can use. If I have to keep them online, I don't know if I could actually do that or make up a thread of my own and post my entries when I can.

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The online log isn't a requirement, IMO, but is very easy to set up. I think the monthly totals would still need to be sent to one person so they could be totaled and posted.

Are we in agreement with Jill's guidelines with EZ's common sense rule about dismounts included?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  8:27:27 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like your Google spreadsheat PaintGal. For myself I will probaly hang a calander in the barn to record ride info, then will transfer that info to the Google system. For anyone who would rather use a excel spreadsheet, please send me an email request and I will send it to you as an attachement. Then each month if you would like to send me a filled form I will enter it on the Google system.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:15:13 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in! Better step up the ground work and get on those mustangs by the end of the year LOL that will give me 5 to ride

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been in the AQHA Ride program for a while, and I can barely motivate myself to write those hours down. But I suppose if I do get around to it, I can write them down for this as well... somewhere...

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:37:28 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jill, I got your spreadsheet. Thanks.
I'll probably print it out and stash it somewhere handy.... trailer, barn, luggage tag on saddle(?), wallet, and try to write it down each time, then transfer it to the computer and send it to you, or whoever wants it, monthly.
Oh boy, more piddle papers to keep me busy!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  6:09:20 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to log my time in 3 places. My own log where I physically write it down, my LJ, and here. Just in case.

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  08:38:34 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ok, I've made my Google spreadsheet. I just copied how you did yours PG. However we all decide to do it, I'm somewhat ready.
Monte has had a soundness issue, but I think we resolved it. A change of feed has seemed to do the trick.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000