Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Tracking Ride Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One question though... do we have to stop the clock if we have an unschedueled dismount? Can we just confess it on the GTA page?

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there should be some compensatory minutes added to time for unscheduled dismounts! Might be the only way to keep me in the running....

Go to Top of Page

Rick Byers
Trainer

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:50:14 PM  Show Profile Send Rick Byers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hot Dawg count me in I have 4 horse to ride. Since I am officially retired now I can ride a bunch every day.
Lets see.
India 1 hour a day because she is semi retired(21 years old).
Sky 2 hours s day of Gaited horse bliss.
Sassy 1 hour a day as see is still learning and is a hand full of hot blooded Arabian.
Saraphina 1 hour a day also See sassy above.
Sky another hour just because she is so smooth.
6hrx365days=2190 hours per year.
OK JUST KIDDING ON THIS ONE. but do count me in for 2009
Rick

Sassy the 15 year old Arab thinks she is hot stuff, Loving memory of India Diamond the 23 year old Arab . Sky the 15 old TWH knows she is pretty and flaunts it all the time. Sarphina has finally adjusted to all the Diva's. Color Me Fancy the coming 3 year old is trying to become lead Diva.
Go to Top of Page

andalusn
Beginning Rider

142 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit andalusn's Homepage Send andalusn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me in.. actually the free online horse management software I use has a section for training that I log ride times in and goals or changes so I can see how we have been doing with the young mare and what kind of exercise the horses have gotten. But I imagine anything would work. Many of my barn friends have a calendar hanging on the feed door and they jot down their ride times by day.

Laurie
Andalusians NW,
Ridgefield, WA
Green+Green=black & blue(treasure the knowledge of an experienced horse)
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  04:15:40 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me in too!! I'm going to join the AQHA one also. It will be fun to see everyones saddle time! I'll be just hoping for a non-icy winter for footing.....

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  08:06:54 AM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok rick now ya'll know why we must differentiate between those of us with jobs and those of us without. Man I want to retire!!!!!

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  11:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, yeah, the jobless have an advantage here... can we have a separate tracking of hours we *wished* we were riding?

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  07:36:58 AM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

You do realize that someone will have to make out forms and send them to the participants and that someone will also have to keep track of everyone's hours... and the money if there is to be a fee for entering the program. PG, you're the one who suggested this. Are you up to the task of being the DE Saddle Log hours keeper?

I do think the hours ought to be awarded to the rider if you're going to do this, but I do think that the horses that will be ridden ought to be enrolled into the program. These horses should be listed on the log sheets and these horses only used to accumulate hours once said horses are enrolled for the year. I would also like to suggest possibly that the horses must be owned by the rider.

If this is the be an on-going program, it will take work to refine the rules and details. You will be surprised at how many little loop holes can crop up if they aren't plugged. Everything will have to be covered. Something else that I think ought to be added is driving. I feel that driving a horse in harness is every bit as important as riding, and several DE members drive their horses. I think these hours should be allowed into the program, too.

So this is going to be on the merit system and done to reach certain goals instead of a competition? Actually, now that I think about it. I don't see any other way it can be done. If it's who gets the most hours in, anyone can write down anything on the saddle log to win. Yes, I do believe it will have to be for each individual to reach a certain number of hours and have some kind of award once that goal is reached. JMHO

Exactly.

But count me in! I'd like to be whatever number I am to sign up!

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  7:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in! I log my hours with 2 organizations anyway. I really like the log sheet for the Red Hats. We log not only time, but note the location, weather and have a comment column for remembering those GTA moments or who you may have ridden with. Its fun to see how much you ride. I'll try to figure out how to scan & post it for an example.

I don't think we should limit it to only horses enrolled in the program. That way if you get a new horse during the year he can be included, and any rides on borrowed horses or purchase prospects (thinking Appygirl or Colleen here) or rental horses such as plash's Italian mount would count too! After all, no time is wasted when spent in the saddle!

Here's an example...

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  8:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tag...this is not a breed association, so it shouldn't matter which horse you ride, or whether you own it or borrow it. The only thing that should matter is time in the saddle! And the saddle HAS to be on the horse...no fair just parking it on a stand in the livingroom while you watch TV!

I like the RHPC log, but it sure doesn't condense things much...I can see it being several pages long after a month or so of riding. I do like the weather and comments sections, though! The FAHR and ApHC logs just list the horse and the time.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  8:37:33 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Nancy I like that log!!! I have a little buddy who plans on riding my pony this winter!!!! That ought to motivate me. Wonder if the RHPC website has this log that we can download???? Or I suppose I could just make one on excel. I'll play around with it and see what I come up with. Ya know another suggestion might be to carry one of those tiny spiral notebooks in your horn bag. Seems like that's the ONLY thing that tends to go on every ride soooooo I spose I could add the little notebook and then transfer info as needed to my excel program.
Just thinking as I type.

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

andalusn
Beginning Rider

142 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  12:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit andalusn's Homepage Send andalusn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

And the saddle HAS to be on the horse...no fair just parking it on a stand in the livingroom while you watch TV!

EZ2SPOT

Hey.. saddle in front of the TV and RFD channel is a clinic right???

Laurie
Andalusians NW,
Ridgefield, WA
Green+Green=black & blue(treasure the knowledge of an experienced horse)
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  02:37:10 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Hey.. saddle in front of the TV and RFD channel is a clinic right???

Sounds good, I have a saddle on a stand right behind me...I'm with Laurie on that idea!!

Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  12:49:08 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tagnrocky, you have a Red Hat group that rides?!?!?

I never thought of checking for one in my area. All the ones I am familiar with go out to eat, shop, take dance classes, and the ones with more income go on cruises and get botoxed - lol lol

I like their riding log too. I agree the DE log proposal is not breed-oriented and should be more lax.

If having a log and sharing riding time on the forum gets someone out the door and on their horse for 15 minutes, it makes them a winner.

Again, because it is not breed or organization associated, that means I'm not sure any kind of physical prizes should be awarded to anyone for anything.

It's the ^5's, kudos, atta boys & girls that count on this. Maybe I am completely missing the point. Tell me if I am, it wouldn't be the first time
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  1:00:48 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shhhh...I'm tryin to work Chuck for that saddle we were promised on the first DE ride!

This is just for fun and hopefully a bit of inspiration for DE members. I like the log Nancy posted too. Would each month be on a separate sheet or just keep the one going till it fills up and then what happens to the logs?

I already try to keep a journal of my rides.. where, how long, who rode with me, critter sitings, weather, etc. and even print out posts & pics and stash in the journal (which is a spiral notebook). I figure when I'm in my rockin chair in the "home", I'll have something to read.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Mr.1Walks
Beginning Rider

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  2:35:46 PM  Show Profile Send Mr.1Walks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

I think there should be some compensatory minutes added to time for unscheduled dismounts! Might be the only way to keep me in the running....

I agree, I think that you should be able to include all ER minutes in your total. In that case, my 45 minute ride on Sunday is now a full 5 hours!

Sugarfoote - 14yo spotted saddle horse, glide ride...
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

I already try to keep a journal of my rides.. where, how long, who rode with me, critter sitings, weather, etc. and even print out posts & pics and stash in the journal (which is a spiral notebook). I figure when I'm in my rockin chair in the "home", I'll have something to read.

I keep a LiveJournal of my sessions with my horse. Not the time, but the weather, ground conditions, and things that we did together.

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  5:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by walkinthewalk

tagnrocky, you have a Red Hat group that rides?!?!?

Yep, our chapter is the first horsey one in the nation. There were several more formed this year, so there may be one in your area (or you can start your own!). Their emphasis is on parading, but we also have camping trips, group rides and despooking clinics to get your horse parade ready. I don't parade but have met lots of nice ladies my age to ride & talk horses with!

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  10:56:36 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't thought about horseless members like Appygirl and Colleen. Thank you to whoever pointed that out, and I agree it would be totally unfair. So strike it out of my original proposal that I thought nobody was interested in in the first place .

Would it really be too much trouble to have patches and chevrons? I know this should be just to motivate DE members to ride, but it would be nice if we had a little of something to show for it . Just thinkin' out loud here, folks .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  5:15:42 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tagnrocky

[quote
Their emphasis is on parading,

Thanks! I am going to check out the TN chapters. Duke, the horse in my avatar, is a Primo parade horse - it is what he loves best. He watches the float in front of him and will stop/start himself. I just sit there - lol Plus he loves to "window shop" (look at himself) and thinks all the clapping is for him and him alone
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  3:13:21 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walkinthewalk

quote:
Originally posted by tagnrocky

[quote
Their emphasis is on parading,

Thanks! I am going to check out the TN chapters. Duke, the horse in my avatar, is a Primo parade horse - it is what he loves best. He watches the float in front of him and will stop/start himself. I just sit there - lol Plus he loves to "window shop" (look at himself) and thinks all the clapping is for him and him alone

Hahaha! WITW, I love your Duke!! What a smart boy with the floats....and I can just picture him "puffing up" with pride at the applause!

Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  5:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

I hadn't thought about horseless members like Appygirl and Colleen. Thank you to whoever pointed that out, and I agree it would be totally unfair. So strike it out of my original proposal that I thought nobody was interested in in the first place .

Indeed, What do horseless people do?!

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  8:34:35 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horsecrazygirl

Indeed, What do horseless people do?!

Record their time when they get a chance to ride. Some horseless people ride more than those with horses.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  07:08:21 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm Game, I want in! Getting ready for my first endurance ride is getting me lots of time in the saddle! Now if I can find a way to ease all the aches and pains in my tired old body, this much time in the saddle is really taking a tole on my body!!
BethAnn

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  07:41:44 AM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PaintGal, I guess that's the only way to do it. But it's true, some people who are horseless ride more than those who own one.

BethAnn, Wow, taking on an endurance ride! I rode for about 4 hours the other day in my most comfortable saddle, and I did get quite stiff.

Good Luck!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000