Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Tracking Ride Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  08:47:39 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would DE members be intested in keeping a record of the time spent on a horse during 2009?

RH has participated in a program like this with Terra so she might be able to 'splain how it works. I don't think it matters what type of riding you do, whether out on trails or arena work as long as you're on a horse. I guess trail riders could track miles as well but without a GPS or hoofometer that might be difficult to do.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking Chuck could award saddles to the winning guy & gal as well as one for the person that had the idea for DE to start with.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~

1Walks1Trots
Advanced Rider

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:04:20 AM  Show Profile Send 1Walks1Trots a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that would be really neat, although we almost always have the "exactly how long did we ride?" conversation on the way home. :) I'd love to know, and it could be motivating to getting us out there in the cold and riding.

*Riding smoothly with Spotted Saddle Horses "Thunder" and "Sugar"*
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:57:23 AM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for a point of reference, TWHBEA (Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders & Exhibitors Association) has what is known as a "Distance Award Program" for trail riders.

They provide Distance Logs for each registered horse. The logs record time on the horse rather than miles. It has a comment section to record the type of riding; i.e. road, trails, organized rides, etc.

The logs are free for the asking as long as the person has a registered TWH. I have one for each of my Walkers even though I never participated in the program. It is amazing to look back at the log to see what I did and how long ago.

I said all that to say that I know SSHBEA also will give out logs to anyone owning a registered SSH, so maybe other breeds have similar programs and offer free logs.

Or maybe DE could even establish an on-line log for EACH member & their horse(s) at their request. They could be kept track of on-line under the DE umbrella.

Once a DE riding season has been established, the logs could be reviewed by DE staff at the end of that season, and accolades handed out to the winners.

Just my thoughts
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun!!! I always take my GPS cause I'm a techno junkie . How about some different categories as well. Gaited/nongaited. Miles/hours. Lives in south/north And here's a good one retired/works 40 hours and has a kid LOL!!!!!!

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  12:18:43 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every saddle log program that I've been involved with doesn't put you in any competition. It's based on each individual person reaching certain goals and not on who rides the most. EZ & I are in the FAHR (Foundation Appaloosa Horse Registry) Saddle log program, and it goes something like this:

Once a participant has acheived 100 hrs. of riding time, they are awarded a distance patch and a "chevron" that has "100 hours" printed on it. Chevrons are awarded for 250 hours, 500 hrs., 1000 hrs., etc. Enrollment fee is $15 a year.

They also have a distance program for those that compete in endurance competition or competitive trail. This program keeps track of the miles instead of the hours, and some very nice awards are handed out according to how many miles the horse travels in a year... or something like that. I'm not as familiar with the distance program as I am the saddle log program.

But the main thing is that in the saddle log program there is no competition against any other participant. It's just a way for a person to get recognition for the hours they ride and for that person to set personal goals as to how many hours they wish to acheive.

EZ passed me in hours some time ago. The reason is that she has 3 FAHR Appaloosas to my one. Dove is not FAHR registered and as such ineligible for the FAHR saddle log program. EZ also rides much more than I do, but it doesn't bother me because I'll reach my goals in my own time and get recognition for it. I've just earned my 250 hour chevron this year, and I think I've been in the program for at least 3 years now. EZ started at the same time but is now way past the 300 hour mark. You go at your own pace and your own goals. I had enough competition during my 35 years in the show ring, and like the slower pace of the saddle log program.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mr.1Walks
Beginning Rider

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  2:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send Mr.1Walks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds fun to me, and it might be a good motivation on a 45 degree day to saddle up instead of saying to heck with it. Unfortunately, we're at the time of year here where the days are getting shorter and colder, the horses are getting fuzzier and more energetic, and it's easier to give them this week off than it is to dig out the gloves and earmuffs and head on down the trail. Anyway, I'm willing to set a goal and try to hit it, or just report in. And heck, with a free saddle for the prize, who wouldn't join in? :)

Sugarfoote - 14yo spotted saddle horse, glide ride...
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  2:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AQHA have a very similar program to the one RH is talking about. We have never signed up for it because
1. I am cheap
2. I really don't care about the number of hours I spend in the saddle.

BUT

If Check is giving out nice new saddles for the winner, you bet I am going to be signing up and I will make sure I submit the very most hours possible!!

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  2:40:34 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a GREAT idea!

Even if Chuck doesn't want to give out anything, it would be very neat to see how many hours I've spent in the saddle. Of course I do spend more time on the ground, but timing riding hours is probably something that most other people would like to log instead.

But how would one track the hours, and make sure that they actually rode that many hours? Just curious.

Thanks.

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the AQHA program because it was only $25 to join, and you got a $25 gift certificate after only 50 hours, and I knew I'd be doing 50 hours in no time flat, so how could I lose? My problem is always forgetting to write down the dang hours when I get back. If someone could suggest ways to do THAT, I could use the help. Maybe if there was a DE tracking as well, I'd be more motivated to be thorough...

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  3:11:48 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horsecrazygirl

That's a GREAT idea!

But how would one track the hours, and make sure that they actually rode that many hours? Just curious.

Thanks.

TWHBEA's Distance Program used to be free, but they've had a major organizational shakeup in the last two years, so I don't know if there's a fee.

Anyway to the question: Chevron patches were earned on the Honor System.

It was expected that everyone would be honest about their time in the saddle
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  3:52:46 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just throwing out the award... thought Chuck would just offer everyone free saddles. LOL! I thought it might be fun just to see how many hours DE members ride in a year.

The honor system is the only way to record times. IF we do it, we'd need to decide if we track by horse or by rider.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

homein3turns
Trainer

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  5:16:25 PM  Show Profile Send homein3turns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like fun! I vote tracking by rider, reason being I have several horses I ride/will ride. Would all time in the saddle count? I ride an hour every 2 weeks in an arena taking a lesson and will soon be riding my two mustangs in the round pen. I also ride the harvested fields around my home in the evenings.

After a summer off (stupid broken knee...), I have lots of time to make up :)

Juli Collier
Pendleton, IN
Juli's Riding Log

"Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it." Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  5:28:16 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! We're making this up as we go. I say anytime one is in the saddle, it counts but it's whatever ya'll want to do.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

walkinthewalk
Advanced Rider

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  6:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send walkinthewalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cumulative could be over-all time in the saddle, but it might fun for folks riding more than one horse to keep track of their time on each horse.

In looking back on my TWHBEA logs, I was amazed at how much time Duke logged in and how little time the other horses logged in.

No wonder the other two act like they need more wet blankets - it's because they do
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  8:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest advantage to ANY type of saddle log is that it lets you see how much (or how little) you are actually riding. ANY time in the saddle counts...whether you are riding in an arena or trail riding. Just get on, make a mental note of the time, take your ride, get off, check your watch again, & write down your time. 'Plash, I've found it works better to keep a calendar handy...like in the barn...and write down your time in the space for that date. Then, every now & then, take your calendar in and transfer the info to your official log.

Yes, with the breed saddle log programs, everything is on the honor system, and I suppose there are a few people who cheat, but I believe most are honest about it.

ULP!! I just looked at my log and realized it has been a month since I rode Butterbaby! Sure wish I had more time. Or somebody to share these horses with!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  8:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could not give saddles to everyone, but maybe the to 50 participants.

I could likely come up with a very simple way of entering times and displaying totals and such online.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  9:02:02 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sign me up as the 1st participant. LOL!!

It would be great if everyone could enter their own hours but if that's not possible & if needed I'll volunteer to post a monthly update.....from horseback.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  9:16:28 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm in tooo!!!!! Start date Jan 1 2009 Anybody up for a new year's eve champagne(12:01) day ride?????

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  11:40:33 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in!!! If the champagne freezes on New Years it's cold for me!!!

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  09:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any time in the saddle counts??? I'm gonna sit in mine while I watch Desparate Housewives......got my eye on a Haflinger saddle....Chuck????
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, perfect, now I know what to do with those cheap calendars you get from local businesses. Count me in!

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use those calenders to record how much hay I've used, vet visits, shoes, baths, sheath cleanings, notes on behavior if abnormal...all sorts of stuff!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

1Walks1Trots
Advanced Rider

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:07:51 AM  Show Profile Send 1Walks1Trots a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I thought y'all were kidding about a possible saddle prize, that would be awesome!

I'm thinking I could saddle up, ride over to where I left a bale of hay on the ground and read a book. Probably good for a couple of hours. It takes them about 10 minutes a day to eat grain, so sitting on them for that. I can ride them in from the pasture to the barn, so that's seven minutes a week. I'm racking up time already!

*Riding smoothly with Spotted Saddle Horses "Thunder" and "Sugar"*
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:17:43 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do realize that someone will have to make out forms and send them to the participants and that someone will also have to keep track of everyone's hours... and the money if there is to be a fee for entering the program. PG, you're the one who suggested this. Are you up to the task of being the DE Saddle Log hours keeper?

I do think the hours ought to be awarded to the rider if you're going to do this, but I do think that the horses that will be ridden ought to be enrolled into the program. These horses should be listed on the log sheets and these horses only used to accumulate hours once said horses are enrolled for the year. I would also like to suggest possibly that the horses must be owned by the rider.

If this is the be an on-going program, it will take work to refine the rules and details. You will be surprised at how many little loop holes can crop up if they aren't plugged. Everything will have to be covered. Something else that I think ought to be added is driving. I feel that driving a horse in harness is every bit as important as riding, and several DE members drive their horses. I think these hours should be allowed into the program, too.

So this is going to be on the merit system and done to reach certain goals instead of a competition? Actually, now that I think about it. I don't see any other way it can be done. If it's who gets the most hours in, anyone can write down anything on the saddle log to win. Yes, I do believe it will have to be for each individual to reach a certain number of hours and have some kind of award once that goal is reached. JMHO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  11:51:02 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang RH.

I figured you can keep your hours on a scrap peice of paper & then total them up & email me (or whomever) the number of hours once a month. If somebody wants a form then find one online or make your own. This is just for fun...lets keep it that way.

If you want to include riding in a buggy that's fine with me if everyone else agrees. I don't know about watching Desperate HW while sitting in a saddle hanging on the arm of a couch though. ROFL!!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  1:22:16 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, count me in too. What a good motivation for those days I'm just too tired to get my butt out to the stables. I like the idea of it being a personal goals thing. That way there's no reason to fudge, not that anyone here would.
Great idea PG!

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000