Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Poetry, Writing, Art & Photography
 Camera
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  9:19:49 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been on much lately, life's been a little complicated! But I desperately need help making a decision! My daughter is turning 18 and I want to get a camera for her to take to college.

She dearly loves the Nikon d80 but at approx $800 w/o lenses its not even in the running. She has taken a couple of photography courses so she understands aperture , ISO ...

Here's my criteria!

Compact -
Relatively inexpensive definitely under $400.

Image quality is number one.

Controls being a little complicated is okay given she's grown up in the IPOD generation

Wide angle preferred ( I suspect college will necessitate lots of group shots LOL!) and a decent zoom

Movie button w/sound

I'd like the ability to get the flash off the camera for image quality
sake.

Sooooo
I've been looking at the Canon SD870IS, SD790IS and the Nikon COOLPIX s600 (she really likes Nikon but while they may be better in the high end cameras no one seems to like them in the Point and Shoot categories).

MAYBE the Canon G9 (if you think that its worth it for her to have some creative possibilities in that she can add lenses and use the manual settings)????

I'm soooo confused

Any thoughts??? I keep going round and round. She's pretty responsible but ....am I better off with a cheaper point and shoot so she doesn't have to worry about it being stolen??? She'd probably take more pictures is she was able to just slip it in her pocket and go...

On the other hand I like to encourage the creative process and she has taken some really great pictures with a borrowed SLR.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  9:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a Canon SD1100 IS and I love it. Small, but takes excellent pictures in terms of exposure, color accuracy and best of all, detail focus--which tells me it's got pretty good optics. It's not as good or as flexible as my Nikon D50 (well, duh, the lens is 5 times as big as the Canon's) but it is very close in quality in everyday picture situations...and it fits in my pocket!!

Honestly, though, if you think she has a genuine interest in photography, I would get her a digital SLR...the Nikons, Canons and Olympus models are all excellent...and if you look around you can find one for pretty close to your $400 limit (look for bargains on the internet, but stay away from any Brooklyn NY camera shops...especially one called Broadway Photo). She will be much more likely to experiment with an SLR than a little pocket camera...I know I have a totally different mindset when I'm using my SLR than when I'm using the little Canon.

I think you might want to consider an SLR a step down from the Nikon D80. The D40 is an awesome starter SLR, and you can get one here (camera and lens) for $499...I know that's over your budget, but I think in the long run it would be well worth it.

Hope this helps!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1116228&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=30322&lid=680414

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 07/11/2008 9:54:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently made the jump to SLR and after reading a gazillion reviews and checking out cams in 3D, I finally decided on the Olympus E510. I got the kit which comes with 2 lenses and of course you can add plenty more. I think it was the July issue of Consumer Report that ranked it #2 and a best buy.

Check out Steve's Digicams for reviews.

Congrats on your daughter's graduation & I hope we'll see more of you on DE.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a pretty good deal on the Canon Digital Rebel SLR...camera and lens...not bad for under $500. Still over your budget...but not by too much.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7026069&type=product&id=1099394810083

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 07/11/2008 10:20:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  06:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sbower

Here's my criteria!
Compact -
Relatively inexpensive definitely under $400.
Image quality is number one.
Controls being a little complicated is okay given she's grown up in the IPOD generation
Wide angle preferred ( I suspect college will necessitate lots of group shots LOL!) and a decent zoom
Movie button w/sound
I'd like the ability to get the flash off the camera for image quality sake.

Sooooo
I've been looking at the Canon SD870IS, SD790IS and the Nikon COOLPIX s600 (she really likes Nikon but while they may be better in the high end cameras no one seems to like them in the Point and Shoot categories).

MAYBE the Canon G9 (if you think that its worth it for her to have some creative possibilities in that she can add lenses and use the manual settings)????

I'm soooo confused

Any thoughts??? I keep going round and round. She's pretty responsible but ....am I better off with a cheaper point and shoot so she doesn't have to worry about it being stolen??? She'd probably take more pictures is she was able to just slip it in her pocket and go...

On the other hand I like to encourage the creative process and she has taken some really great pictures with a borrowed SLR.

I guess the answer really lies in what she would prefer. A small take anywhere camera that takes good pictures or an Digital SLR that has more creative opportunity and expandable with different lenses as/if her interest grows.

I like Canon cameras.

MY Film camera is a Canon A1 purchased in 1984, still working but replaced by a Canon Digital Rebel - 6.3 Mega-pixel (SLR)that I bought 3 years ago and have taken over 15,000 pictures. I take it with me every day. It takes some pretty good pictures and can do photo quality prints up to 10 X 12. There are some excellent buys on E-Bay as it has been replaced by 3 upgrades , XT-8MP, XTi-10MP ans the latest XSi, 12MP which I would like to have but my current camera works so well............!

My son has a pro Quality Canon 20 D digital SLR but he recently bought a Canon Powershot A720IS ($220) 8.0 MP that he really likes for everyday stuff.

So my thought is that your daughter, unless she has a real interest in creative photography ( which should have shown up by now, through camera club activities and/ or she would already have a special camera) I would suggest that you buy her a compact Camera. If the interest develops further she will want to pick the upgrade camera.

My suggestions: ( from a recent Canon Brochure Canadian $)

- Canon SD1100 - refined and stylish 8.0 MP Digital ELPH with 3X Optical Zoom - available in 5 stunning colours and matching leather Carry case $ 280 plus $40 for the case.

- Canon SD790IS - 10 MP Digital ELPH 3X optical zoom, lots of techie adjustments - $369.

- Canon Powershot A720 IS 8MP 6X Zoom, - larger more traditional camera body. $220

- Canon Powershot S515S 8MP 12X Zoom lots of features, including image stabilization and face detection. $400.

- Canon Powershot G9 (does NOT have interchangeable lenses)12MP - 6X zoom, a LOT more fancy image processing functions. Next best thing to an interchangeable lens SLR $549

- Canon XTi Digital SLR - 10 MP $750 for the Kit. I would suggest that you look for an XT 8MP online to get the best deal.

My choice for your daughter

- Canon SD1100 - refined and stylish 8.0 MP Digital ELPH with 3X Optical Zoom - available in 5 stunning colours and matching leather Carry case $ 280 plus $40 for the case.

Really nice camera with all the latest features including movie recording, face detection technology image stabilizer but a slim in your purse/pocket design.

Have fun. Buying for an 18 year old is an experience.

PS make sure you get an extra battery and memory card.

Also a GREAT description on Paintgals link here.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_sd1100.html

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 07/12/2008 07:16:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  09:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

My choice for your daughter

Really nice camera with all the latest features including movie recording, face detection technology image stabilizer but a slim in your purse/pocket design.

I'm with Hook. The SD1100 is the Canon compact I've got that I talked about above in my first post...it really is a wonderful camera and I've been very happy with it.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  11:21:58 AM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew you all would come thru for me!!!

Many, many thanks...you all are the best!

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000