Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Ladies' Saddles----Dump your two cents here!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lindyhopkins
Groomer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile Send lindyhopkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I'm Stephanie, that slightly annoying presence on the board that bugs you from time to time for your opinions to use for press releases! If your stunning quote hasn't landed in a press release for the shop yet, now is your chance :) (Hook and Mrs. Hook, that doesn't mean you shouldn't answer!)

Our next press release is all about saddles specifically designed for ladies. We've built up a collection in our stock and our manufacturers seem to keep coming out with new models just for ladies. The Fabtron Ladies Flex Trail has been our top seller for over two years. The biggest difference between saddles designed for women is the narrower front, giving you more room in the thigh area. So, with that in mind, have you tried one? Bought one? Thought about one?

Why would a woman need a saddle specifically designed for her? Do any of you have trouble with a "man's" saddle?

Thankful for all you helpful, friendly people,
Stephanie

lindyhopkins
Groomer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  07:46:39 AM  Show Profile Send lindyhopkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I scare you all off? Don't be intimidated! I know someone has an opinion! Let's get this discussion going! (pretty please!)
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have one, but I'm interested in the answers...

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  11:44:36 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Stephanie;

I wish I could help you out, but I've never even tried sitting in a saddle made specifically for a woman. I ride in an old barrel saddle that has no manufacturer's mark anywhere on it. I bought it used, and I'm pretty sure it's over 20 years old. There's still a lot of life left in it yet, and I'll ride in it until it falls apart. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned.

Again, sorry that I can't be of more help.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 07/09/2008 11:46:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

horsehugger2000
Advanced Rider

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile Send horsehugger2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey if ya send me one I'll test drive it for free!!!!! And even give you an opinion at no charge!!!

Wendi
Wendi's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by horsehugger2000

Hey if ya send me one I'll test drive it for free!!!!! And even give you an opinion at no charge!!!

Hey Wendi, just ask Chuck to substitute that saddle for the free one that he is shipping out to everyone that attended the DE ride.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

pellie
Tenderfoot

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  9:11:16 PM  Show Profile Send pellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an older(70's) textan that was probably design for woman, it was narrow at front and wide and pretty flat for seat bones at back, sooooooooooooo confortable, but had to sell because dont fit my new horse. Now i'm stuck with an atroceous saddle with a ralide tree #1587 ouark!! hurt my seat bones! I will definitively look forward at "woman" saddle on the market. :-D Dont know why manufacturer did not take this huge possible market before??
Go to Top of Page

andalusn
Beginning Rider

142 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit andalusn's Homepage Send andalusn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only experience with a saddle designed for "women" was a high end dressage saddle. The first thing you notice is comfort in the seat :) My brain said right off.. Oh yeah, this is comfortable. I have only noticed recently ads showing "ladies" saddle like a Wade design. It could be hard to get a lot of input as people don't swap out saddles quickly. When you find one you like you stick with it. I have ridden in a built for stout roper for almost 20 years and when my late 20's / 30's it was fine for trail riding. Guess my hips were more spry :) I sold it as it was just too painful after an afternoon ride in my lower back. Now I have a Champion Turf equitation saddle that is very comfortable and I tend to think it's because he twist is not too wide. During my search for an endurance saddle I did come across a company that designs only for Women but they could not tell me specifics as to what were the major differences in men/women's saddles. Is it really more to do with the discipline??? A western/english/Aussie design? My husband broke his Andalusian mare in my dressage saddle and was surprised to find it was comfortable. The Toowoomba Aussie saddle I had he found very comfortable and we only sold that due to the old mare passing and it just did not fit the current herd at all. He has also come to agree that the Champion Eq saddle is also more comfortable than his Team Penning Circle Y. So maybe it's not just women that can find comfort in a saddle designed with comfort in mind. Okay done with my mental rambling. :) Hopefully you will make contact with riders that have gone shopping with just this question in mind. I know I look forward to their input as to what was important in the decision.

Laurie
Andalusians NW,
Ridgefield, WA
Green+Green=black & blue(treasure the knowledge of an experienced horse)
Go to Top of Page

tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

British Indian Ocean Territories
2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  12:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit tenderfoot's Homepage Send tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm AGAIN in the market for a saddle for my current Mo. Fox Trotter. I had a saddle made to fit former horse and me but horse was poisoned and of course, his saddle never did fit the present Fox Trotter. No other saddle did either so Rio Verde Saddle made a saddle for him that was also good for me.

That saddle is now bridging 4 years later and I'm 1800 miles away from Rio Verde to have alterations done. I need a saddle with a 17" seat for very gaited (lots of shoulder swing) 10 year old gelding. I am interested in whatever will allow us long saddle hours as I do search/rescue and work with Back Country Horsemen. Because I am a woman, I'm interested in the "for women" concept...
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  2:45:43 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your losing a horse to poisoning....tragic.
As far as saddles go, the "for women"...I have a Crates that fits me nicely. They make a gaited saddle that Chuck has at his shop http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/crates-gaited-saddle.html

It has the "equi-fit" tree and also has the 17" seat and nice padding for long hours in the seat! Keep us posted!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  5:16:48 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I ride in a Freeform treeless saddle which has a twist to it, my other treeless is a Bob Marshall, which has no twist at all. It feels quite wide, more like riding bareback feels through your thighs. There is a company which makes a saddle pad which goes on top of your saddle called a Hip Saver. It is basically a built up narrow twist which many ladies seem to prefer.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  12:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ladies saddle: one not so heavy to lift, deep seat to stay in

Maybe should be categrized as "old ladies saddle"
Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  03:45:07 AM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Ladies saddle: one not so heavy to lift, deep seat to stay in

Maybe should be categrized as "old ladies saddle"

haha......I think?

We just don't want to build up any excess arm muscles to outshine those weaker guys!
Mine is about 28 lbs. and heavy enough for me!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska

Edited by - killybean907 on 03/23/2009 03:46:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  11:59:25 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm late getting in on this one, but my Tucker Plantation is built narrower in the seat and boy howdy do I love it. Alas when Mr Parrot stole my horse he also got my saddle and does not like it near as much as I do. hummmm.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

anniepops
Beginning Rider

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile Send anniepops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is very late as only just come on site and seen this after being away for a while.

I have a Fabtron ladies with flex tree that I bought 2nd hand, and am delighted with it, my other saddle is a big horn trail and I love that too, but it IS heavy, so I use it as my show saddle when other half is around to lift it for me, ha ha.

the Fabtron is brilliant and very very comfortable, not met anyone yet who doesn't like it for comfort including men.

hope that helps.

annie

No foot - No horse
Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  3:31:49 PM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been shopping for many months and can't find exactly what I want, but the closest match is the Fabtron Ladies Trail saddle. It has everything but free swinging stirrups because they hang up on the rigging which is directly in front of them. So, you wouldn't be able to move legs forward for a dead stop, or stay balance going down steep hills. I've noticed that nearly all the lightweight saddles have this problem. Can anyone comment on that? Do the fenders move a little easier with wear? I may buy it and have a saddle maker insert a strip of leather to separate the girth from the fender for smooth movement.
Thanks for any info.
Linda

Linda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000