Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Unwanted Horse or a Runaway? Uh Oh I did it AGAIN!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  3:40:59 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I was outside working today, I was interrupted by my neighbor gesturing wildly toward my pasture.

She shouted there is a miniature horse in the road and he is by your horses, can we catch him?

So we did:

Rumor from The Country Store (local hangout) has it that this little guy has been running loose for possibly a few weeks. He was spotted miles away from my farm last week.

I am keeping him in the small pasture behind the garage away from Joe and Rocky in case he has something contagious. He has very long feet and I can not tell if it is due to lack of care or a past case of founder.

In any case, my hubby has a surprose when he gets home!

Edited by - ILoveJoe on 06/10/2008 11:40:04 PM

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  3:48:11 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Freedom comes to an end for this dasterdly little darling. I wonder if he feels like he was at the wrong place at the wrong time to get him put behind bars, err, fencing? Now the fun is going to be finding who he belongs/belonged to.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  5:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a cute little guy! It will be interesting to see if he does have an owner. Shouldn't be hard to find him a home, if it turns out he has been abandoned.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Jinxnwv
Advanced Rider

USA
477 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  7:39:08 PM  Show Profile Send Jinxnwv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH he IS such a cutie Pie!! Please keep us updated on how the home finding goes!!

Later Bye Bye
Love & Respect your horse & they will do the same for you!
Go to Top of Page

spots
Advanced Rider

Australia
444 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  8:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit spots's Homepage Send spots a Private Message  Reply with Quote

what a sweety is he friendly ?? if you dont find the owners will you keep him?? some people have a real hard time keeping the little ones in so they give up in the end maybe thats what happened with him im glad that you and your neighbour got him i dont understand why noone else caught him if he was running around for weeks i guess some people turn a blind eye and think someone else will do it thankfully you did he could have been really hurt
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Advanced Rider

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:18:34 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a darling ... looks like a spunky little guy. He's got a thick coat yet ... looks healthy. Somehow he was lead to the right place ... let us know how things turn out for him.

Beth

Beth
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  12:47:13 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did hubby react to the surprise when he got home?

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

How did hubby react to the surprise when he got home?

I was glad that hubby didn't get all bent out of shape. He was late getting home because he had stopped to get new shoes. When he got out of the car he stopped and said "Do you notice anything new?" He meant the shoes of course, but I replied, "Well there is ALOT new here today!"

Luckily the neighbor who roped me into this escapade called around and found the owner.

The owner called me last night and she is/was supposed to be here today after her Dr's appt to help me put a halter on this little guy.

Here is his story. His name is Lightning and she bought him as a package with another little pony named Jake, who is brown and white.
She has owned them both for about 7 years and had purchased them for her kids who are now adults.

Lightning has been ridden and as she claims the kids jumped on him with just bailing twine and if one of them fell off, Lightning would stand patiently by them.

He has been loose for over 2 weeks and someone had already captured him and he was hanging out with their horses. By the time (she claims) she found someone with a trailer to go get him, he was gone.

She also stated that since he has gotten out he has been 'acting wild' and that made me think that:
a) he has been out longer than 2 weeks and/or
b) he is an escape artist.

She doesn't know what made him run away unless some dogs got after him or something.

So she said she would be here at my house after her dr appt (12:30 - 1) and that she would call first. It is 5 minutes til 3 and no word.

She stated that she sould like to find good homes for them both since she is in poor health and her husband is a truck driver gone all week. I may have a nibble n a good home, but darn it I can't do anything if I can't catch the little bugger.

Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:00:26 PM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Appygirl needs a horse, maybe she would take him. She would not have to far to fall.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  04:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures. You could probably pick him up real cheap and he could be Company for the one left when you go riding ( OOOOPPPS)

Wonder if Lightning is still whole and just looking for some excitement. Our neighbour has a miniature Black Stallion that goes wandering if the electric fence is left. The miniature donkey is whole as well and has visited our guys too.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  05:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I figured Termite would surface sooner or later, and was just waiting for the right moment!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:11:05 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a little too tall for me Termite and I can't do tall horses! ;o)

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Advanced Rider

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:31:18 AM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like if she gets him back he'll be running off unattended in no time ... at least she's willing to give him to someone who can offer a good home. I got my little dog Isabelle like that. Found her just before hurricane Isabelle ducking and dodging traffic ... thought "surely this is someone's dog and they'll be glad it's been brought back home". Found the neighbor of the owner who told me the last dog they (the owners) had they left between the doors (yes, that's right left it between the storm and interior doors) when they went to work. No way I was giving the dog back to them. Tried to find her a home but hubby fell in love with her big brown eyes.

If I was close to Kentucky, I'd be tempted ... he is just the cutest little guy.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Jinxnwv
Advanced Rider

USA
477 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  8:56:39 PM  Show Profile Send Jinxnwv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's 8:55 pm here now....did she show up?

Later Bye Bye
Love & Respect your horse & they will do the same for you!
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  12:48:58 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here is Lightning's update.

By the time I had to go to work, hubby had worked himself up into a much delayed fit about this little guy.

We kept calling the owner and calling her but the owner does not have an answering machine?! So she called on her own at 5 once I was at work, so Hubby had to deal with this. Boy he was NOT a happy camper.

The woman has some illness and couldn't come, so she sent her teenage son, *giggle* who along with hubby tried for an hour to catch the little guy, who eventually dashed UNDER the fence into the pasture with Joe and Rocky who apparantly used him as a little chew toy all the while hubby and this young man are running from pasture to pasture trying to catch "Greased Lightning".

Joe ended up banging his chest into a t-post pretty hard, no cuts or bruises, I do have all my posts capped thank God!

Joe and Rocky somehow ended up in the dry lot (now why weren't they there before they turned into spectators/distractors?) so hubby locked them in and poor little Llightnng Bolt was fizzled out and he gave up.

After running around our pastures for an hour this poor kid had to WALK Lightning home which was around 5 miles!!!!

I called from work and spoke with the mom/owner and she said Lightning and Jake were so glad to be back together, it was very touching. Her son was so pooped out he laid flat out in the pasture until his girlfriend could come and bring him to our house to get his motorcycle. Once they got there, he had left the choke open so it wouldn't start and he was last seen trying to push it home while riding the four wheeler his girlfriend was driving.

WHAT a debacle! I was firmly instructed by hubby that if EVER another horse goes down the road....LET IT.

Now I think anyone on this forum knows I would have gladly kept the little guy and taken Jake in the bargain, but hubby doesn't have the animal collectors gene I seem to possess. I was already (in my mind) building that extra stall and planning some alone time with Joe riding on the back roads.

Some of you may remember the photo of my little truck packed to the gills with hay, well imagine instead of hay I have that little guy in the back all tied down and express delivered to Appygirl!

Edited by - ILoveJoe on 04/19/2008 12:52:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  11:51:35 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today has been CRAZY!

While trying to finish a hutch for the chicken a co-worked gave me, I was interrupted by a neighbors honking horn on his dump truck as he herded these two down the road.

Thank god hubby is outta town until Friday and doesn't know about these two little cuties:

They are in pretty rough shape so I am thinking they have been either dropped off or let out due to lack of food.

Someone told me today that mules did not come into heat, they obviously do, this little girl is very much in heat:

They are so thin, you can see their spines and they have no meat on them:

Unlike Joe and Rocky (ok especially JOE):

They are all out in the pasture together. I hope this little mule doesn't hurt Joe, she may be in heat but she ain't desperate! She can't stand the sight of Joe(she liked Rocky).

Tomorrow I am going to call the state police and animal control to see if anyone has reported them missing and probably run a found add.

I would love to keep them, in fact I had spoken with a woman just this morning about going out next week to look at a mule she wants to give away. Ironic isn't that?

Hubby is SOOOOo going to kill me.
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  09:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ILJ, your hubby should know by now, if opportunity comes knocking, you are going to open the gate and let it in! They ARE cute and I'm sure you could fatten them up given some time. Good luck either finding them a home or convincing hubby that they HAVE found a home!

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

1Walks1Trots
Advanced Rider

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile Send 1Walks1Trots a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are all so cute, both Lightning and the mules! Nothing interesting runs away and comes to our house. How fun! What did your husband say?

PS My husband does NOT have the collector gene either. At least, as far as animals go.

*Riding smoothly with Spotted Saddle Horses "Thunder" and "Sugar"*
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mules? or just donkeys?

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  1:40:15 PM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like one of the burros is carrying a foal...or is that from malnutrition? Maybe if hubby comes home to a "little burrito" his heart will warm to them.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  3:05:47 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This morning I went out to check on everyone and was actually able to lay my hands on the mini donk, and I cried!!!!

She is so emaciated it is unbelievable. I called the animal shelter and was told to call the police or PETA. While waiting for the police to come, I went up to the Country Store and bought my daily Mt Dew and asked if anyone was missing them. She said yes a man had just called about them, but didn't leave his name. I called the store when I got home to see if they had caller id and maybe could give me the number, and she said the owners were just in to drop off a missing flyer and she sent them my way. I met the owner at the end of the driveway owner and really laid into her and told her I was so upset about their condition.

She claims they have always been thin and I then basically drug her into the barn and made her lay her hands on them. She claims she did not know how emaciated they were and that she didn't know she was hurting them. She then asked me for my help with them....

Here is Sophie from the back end:

And walking away:

She says she keeps them locked in a pen together and give them 1 bale of hay every couple of days, and then gives them a cup each of a corn oats mix before turning them out for about 3 hours.

I told her the mini mule probably has a huge parasite burden with that bloated belly (no she is not in foal). I showed her the rain rot and scurf all over the little donk.

She had three dogs with her who were all in very good condition, so I am leaning a bit toward ignorance instead of neglect. I lectured her about feeding and grain and turnout and hopefully she will listen and these guys will gain weight once back under her care. I also STRONGLY suggested she call the vet and gave him the number.

The mini mule is named Hazel and the donkey is named Sophie. They are still here eating MY hay on MY drylot. I took them off the pasture once I felt all the bones on poor little Sophie because I was afraid to founder them.

I told the owner I had called the police on the suggestion of the animal control officer. After I spoke with her at length I called the police back (while she was taking her dogs home)and told them the situation had been resolved, I hope that was not an error on my part.

Her father also came over after she had been her for about an hour and he also said they did not know they weren't doing right for the mini's. They are now home trying to get a trailer to pick them up.
I explained to them my hubby HIT the ROOF over lightening and PLEASE lets get them home before Friday.

She invited me to their home to check out their 'facility' and make suggestions to help Hazel and Sophie.

Am I a sucker or what?!

Go to Top of Page

LindaOz
Trainer

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile Send LindaOz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ILG,
You are certainly not at all a sucker. You should be commended for taking the initiative to help these two and probably saving their lives. That mule's parasite load is unbelievable! I've never seen it so bad! Don't they know about worming?? Good for you for standing up for them and doing all you can to educate these people. Maybe you should hang on to your photos and see if they do actually change their ways. If not, send them to Animal Control to prosecute.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least the lady is willing to learn, and that's a plus.

I went to look at two horses that were for sale a few miles from me. A friend of mine wanted to buy a horse. They were a far cry from abused or neglected, but the owner hadn't had the horses' feet trimmed in a long, long time. They had what I'd call hay bellies with their ribs showing and angled hip bones. I asked when they'd been wormed last, and he didn't have the slightest idea what I was talking about... along with annual vaccines among other things.

The problem was that he knew all there was to know about horses and thought I was making up a lot of what I was talking about. As far as he was concerned, all a horse needed was hay, water, and shelter. He wasn't about to listen to me, and I tried to be gracious and polite about it. It's really sad when you run into people like that, and the horses are the ones that suffer from it .

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  09:01:04 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hazel and Sophie are back home. The owner was able to get permission to cut through the property at the end of our side road and that property and theirs share a wooded boundary. She led Sophie and Hazel followed.

When she got home she called me and thanked me for taking care of them and letting her know they needed help.

She said Hazel knew exactly where they were going and ran in front of them and led the way once they reached the woods.

I still have not told my husband they were here, I will tell him once he gets home from out of town and is in a relaxed receptive mood. Of course with the rooster Hoss crowing from 4am on, I may not tell him for a loooooong time.

The owner said she will have me out to see them and I told her I wanted to see these girls as fat as Joe.

I just hope they really do take better care of them, and they didn't dupe me.

She said she had called the vet I recommended and had gotten advice about wormming and was going to call him back to schedule him to come out, but was waiting to make sure they had compatible schedules.

I actually surprised myself when this woman first showed up, I really laid into her about their condition. After I asked how long she had owned them and was told they had them for a few years...I flat out said "I am very upset with the condition of these animals!! They are in terrible shape!" She looked confused, but never got angry or defensive in the face of my anger. At one point when we were standing there holding onto Sophie I just shook my head and said "How can you NOT see ALL these bones?" I also told her I had called the police on the advice of the animal control and was waiting for them to show up. She never got angry she just looked confused and shocked. I told her that Sophie's condition had me in tears that morning when I spoke with animal control.

In hindsight I should have been more tactful, heck she could have beaten me up or something.
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note to self: Don't mess with ILJ!

You rock, Candace!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  10:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way to Go! You did the right thing.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000