Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Creative, fun and entertaining
 Saddle Shop Corral
 Western Halter sizes????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spots
Advanced Rider

Australia
444 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  7:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit spots's Homepage Send spots a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could someone possibly tell me the actual measurements of western halters as ive been looking at some on ebay ect but they dont say they only have the measurements
ie noeseband, crown, cheek and nose circumference. Would full be more for big stallions ect, theres one i like that has a noseband of 8and 3/4 crown 17 and cheek 7"
and another thats 12.5" noseband 23" crown 8.5 cheek and nose circumference of 27.5
I would really like some help with this

Yearling
Mare
Full

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  8:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They would go Suckling, Weanling, Yearling, 2yr old, Mare, Full

But not all brands have every size. And you also have ones listed as Mini and pony.

I take it this is for a show halter? The measurements is what you want then. Measure the horse or measure a halter that fits correctly. Mare size would fit a smaller head and Full a larger head. That doens't mean the full won't fit a mare or the mare size fit a stallion.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  8:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot about avg. size.

Measuring really is the best way. My favorite show halter is a mare/avg size and it fits wide group of horses....but I couldn't get it through my SIL's head that it was not going to fit or look good on a pony even if she punched holes in it which I threatened her life if she came near it with a hole punch!! The halter is beautiful but it would have done nothing to show of that pony's head. Even if it adjusted small enough the cheeks and nose band would have been to long. The buckles would nearly meet on top of the poor thing's head.
Go to Top of Page

spots
Advanced Rider

Australia
444 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  8:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit spots's Homepage Send spots a Private Message  Reply with Quote

i have to laugh at the vision of your SIL with hole punch in hand ruining your halter
I think the one i always used was classed as a mare size and it wasnt too chunky or anything (geez i wish i never got rid of those)
I guess i will have to try and use the measurements of the ones i like on ebay and figure it out somehow
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  9:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spots

i have to laugh at the vision of your SIL with hole punch in hand ruining your halter
I think the one i always used was classed as a mare size and it wasnt too chunky or anything (geez i wish i never got rid of those)
I guess i will have to try and use the measurements of the ones i like on ebay and figure it out somehow

I would suggest that you measure the appropriate parts on the halters that fit your horse(s) and try to visualize how much variation you could tolerate and still fit.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  7:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't laughing that day. I would have killed her. I love this halter. My parents gave it to me for Christmas when I was 14. It's a classic style so it doesn't go out. It was used when they got it but in great shape. Got it cheap too. You couldn't touch even a used one like this for what they paid for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000