Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Fitting Your Saddle to You
 short legs long fenders!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lvmyaussie
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  9:52:29 PM  Show Profile Send lvmyaussie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how does everyone feel about "surgical procedures" lol to shorten fenders. I am 5 ft but I need a 16" seat. I am having a heck of a time finding a saddle. Usually by the time I get everything cranked up I have so much leather under my legs I can't feel my horse. He is 16.2 and my cues are way high on him anyway so all the extra bulk does not help. I also want something fully tooled so that also worries me about loping off leather. Any tips.

-Misty

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1276 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can you get fenders in child size? I'm not a western rider, but I also am short and have gone through the "looking for short leathers" search. It's easier with english tack I think. However, with my Bob Marshall saddle, I had stirrups with 2"neck that I wanted to use and was really having trouble finding leathers. I used aussie ones, but the too much leather under my leg problem arose. I finally wound up buying those heavy duty web dog collars , and they worked like a charm.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC
Cindys ride time
Go to Top of Page

lvmyaussie
Groomer

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  8:16:10 PM  Show Profile Send lvmyaussie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not unless I get a custom saddle. I am not sure if Circle Y or Crates will do that , I need to check. It is always a challenge and I hate cutting on a saddle because it kills the resale value. If anyone out there has any suggestions on custom saddles I would love to hear them. It would be fine If I had a small rear to go with my small legs....alas..J-Lo has nothing on me. lol

-Misty
Go to Top of Page

BethAnn
Trainer

USA
846 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile Send BethAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always managed by pulling the fender as tight as possible against the top of saddle,lift your leathers and look cause you can usually pull them tighter than you think,then put a couple of extra holes in the correct spots and cut off excess(this doesen't show anyhow except as bulk).At 5 foot and rather round myself getting the best feel without bulk is hard to do anyhow!I'm not good at explaining things so hope you understand!
BethAnn

BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Go to Top of Page

Tack_Collector
Tenderfoot

6 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  10:35:03 AM  Show Profile Send Tack_Collector a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old thread, but, I've had the same prob with western fenders, except I'm more of a 14" to 15" seat. I found the Tex Flex Hillcrest 16" adjusts short enough using the factory holes and I could punch at least one more set higher up if I need to. I had a 16" Tex Tan Fast Back roper on the bullhide tree, and it was just to massive plus the fenders and leathers are man-size. I couldn't possibly shorten that one.

Dakota will allow you to order shorter adult fenders. I don't think it costs extra, but I could be wrong. I've just read other people's posts, not ordered a Dakota.

Edited by - Tack_Collector on 01/11/2009 10:36:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5968 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI TC, Welcome to the Forum. Some very good suggestions.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your horses. We do Like Pictures here.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

CrookedPostQH
Beginning Rider

68 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile Send CrookedPostQH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lvmyaussie

how does everyone feel about "surgical procedures" lol to shorten fenders. I am 5 ft but I need a 16" seat. I am having a heck of a time finding a saddle. Usually by the time I get everything cranked up I have so much leather under my legs I can't feel my horse. He is 16.2 and my cues are way high on him anyway so all the extra bulk does not help. I also want something fully tooled so that also worries me about loping off leather. Any tips.

I purchased a used custom saddle on ebay that had been made for a long legged man and I am a 5'5" woman with legs on the short side. I had the same problem with bulk and the stirrups did not go up quite far enough, but I could get by. I had the opportunity to take it to the man who had made it in OK, Marty Byrd. He could have made new shorter fenders to fit me with the same tooling and he would have tried to match the darker "used" color of the leather. I wanted billets and a back cinch, too, and everything would have been around $400 to make and place on the saddle. Overall, it was a good deal and even though I had gotten a real good deal on the saddle, I passed. The saddle was sold as a 16" and was actually a 15.5" which was a slightly tight fit. For that reason, I could not rationalize spending more on a small saddle. I was, however, able to rationalize ordering a completely new saddle with the same type but slightly larger tree, with the right lenght of fenders, and picked my own tooling pattern. Within a couple of weeks, a man called to ask about my used saddle. Marty, knowing I was going to sell the older saddle, had been kind enough to send them my way! Not that you can find the maker of your saddle, but someone who does make or repair saddles can make a set of shorter ones for the saddle you have. It is worth a try especially if everything else about the saddle is good.

South West Illinois

When someone shows you who they are,...believe them. ~Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5968 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  06:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Crooked post. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information. Tell us a little bit more about you and your horses. BTW we do like pictures.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

CrookedPostQH
Beginning Rider

68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  11:02:38 AM  Show Profile Send CrookedPostQH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Hi Crooked post. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information. Tell us a little bit more about you and your horses. BTW we do like pictures.

Hi,

More about myself...uh, you mean beyond the fact that I have short legs?! LOL Well, remember you asked for it! Here's a brief history of me and my mare.

I as a small child I rode a Welsh pony with other pony riding friends in a small Kansas town ! As a teenager, I had access to my grandparents halter horses (arabs, apps, QH) to ride, but in my twenty's I got away from personal horse ownership for thirty years. My daughter has been involved with/owned/bred working cow horses for almost 20 years. I did ride her horses during visits until she gifted me with a SHORT 7 yo QH mare 1 1/2 years ago that she had purchased/rescued from a starving situation. A friend of my daughter's in Oregon, had been trying to offer trades for the little grey mare and eventually offered us "Sadie" aka Cash N CD. We made the trade for the much taller 3 yo sorrel cutting/cow horse bred filly.

Seems Sadie didn't "make it" as a high caliber cutter and the Oregon friend would not devulge details, possibly to not besmirch the name of the local trainer (?) or to protect the previous owners (?). Sadie now bears deep pock marks behind her girth path from the excessive spurring she received as a two year old for refusing the training program (?) or just not being mature enough(?). We just don't know, but we do know she won't find that particular training method with us!

To wrap up my story, I am now working toward refitting my old barn with a couple of stalls and fencing my 3.4 acre property to be able to move my horse to my place this coming summer. The funds to do all this come from my job as a science teacher in a middle school. I have found that working with horses and teenagers have many similarities!

Thanks for the welcome.

South West Illinois

Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to CrookedPost! Great to have you here.

Sounds like you are getting back into horses after a long hiatus. There are lots of us here like that, some like me that just started into horses in middle age. You'll fit right in. My wife and I got started at the tender age of 50, along with our grown son. We have 5 horses that we love, and try to ride, and live about 30 miles southwest of Indianapolis.

Your mare Sadie sounds like she has gone through a lot in her short life so far and is now so very lucky to have you to give her the life she deserves.

Best of luck to you and her. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

tuffy2712
Trainer

645 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  12:39:56 PM  Show Profile Send tuffy2712 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to do some cutting on my saddle, it helped. I'm 5'2" but I have longer torso and short legs.

Gypsy- 9yr. old 1/2 Gaited Mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

"And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Act 2:21 NLT

Go to Top of Page

killybean907
Clinician

USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  6:26:21 PM  Show Profile Send killybean907 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Welcome to the group! You story is very similar to a lot of us...can't wait for some pictures!

I love your signature quote!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Go to Top of Page

CrookedPostQH
Beginning Rider

68 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  09:10:10 AM  Show Profile Send CrookedPostQH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by killybean907

Welcome to the group! You story is very similar to a lot of us...can't wait for some pictures!

I love your signature quote!

The pictures! Remember "to be careful what you ask for." My mare is currently kept at my daughter and son-in-laws place outside OKC.

Used Marty Byrd Reiner ebay find. I wish it had been the correct seat size, but the 15.5" was slightly small.

New Marty Bryd Reiner. As my daughter says, enjoy it now, 'cause its the cleanest it will ever be! I asked that it be dusted off and put in the house between rides. She laughed and said, "Oh sure, like that's going to happen!" I threatened to take it home with me, and she threatened to not ride my mare! LOL

Late April 08, Sadie. Just turned three and a recent arrival in Oklahoma from Oregon.

July 2008, Sadie. Chewed up from learning to be part of the heard. Not raising one from a foal sure leaves you scratching your head on what they should know vs. what they don't know!

June 28 2009, Sadie.

June 28 2009, Sadie.

June 28 2009, Sadie.

Aug 2009, Sadie sporting the new saddle.

I haven't ridden the new saddle, yet, as I came off my mare four days after I ordered it. The riding mishap was completely my fault for not checking my tack before mounting, but its taking a while before I'm able to try it out. My daughter is happy to have an extra saddle as it makes it easier to ride multiple horses in one day. She says my saddle rides just fine! LOL

(If my daughter should see these, I'll lie and tell her I don't know how you got pictures without her hair done and makeup on!)

South West Illinois

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3371 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  10:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Crooked Post

Beautiful saddle and horse. Sadie looks very willing and pretty.
Look forward to hearing more aout you both.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5968 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  05:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VERY NICE.

A great selection of pictures. Sadie is a nice looking girl and I think she likes the new saddle too.

Glad to have you aboard and I think you will like it here.

BTW we do like pictures.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1276 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello and welcome! Love the pictures, very pretty girl you have there!
( daughter and horse)

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC
Cindys ride time
Go to Top of Page

CrookedPostQH
Beginning Rider

68 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  2:25:39 PM  Show Profile Send CrookedPostQH a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for all the kind comments and warm welcome. I am already enjoying the friendly atmosphere and great information on the different threads. I hope everyone likes to read, because I am really long-winded.

Since I will be asking at some point for advice concerning my mare's training progress or at the very least venting when she thwarts our training efforts, I should just tell it like it is from the beginning. My mare is...NOT willing - she's lazy, you can insist that she yield/follow cues/move out and on a good day she will just pout without fighting the bit, refusing to move off your leg, or in the worst case - sull up and quit! She seems to do best if the lesson begins very slowly walking/trotting and not asking for training maneuvers immediately.

She seeks continuous affection and feels that she is deserving of unconditional deference to her every wish by the people around her. My daughter's more dominant horses have finally convinced her (over the last 1 1/2 years) that they are not her best friend forever and that she had better stay the heck out of their space!

Sadie's not an "in your pocket" horse. Her penchant is for wanting to be in your lap! I sometimes think that her "spoiled little girl" antics may have increased her difficulties at the cutting trainer, although there is no excuse for the spur damage she has on her sides. I get angry when I look at the pock marks and I am never sure who I want to strangle first - the owners who made her into the worse "pet" I have ever encountered or the abusive trainer.

An example of Sadie's imperial highness mentality: I was holding her in a rope halter (with the knots across the noseband for extra control) waiting on her turn for the farrier when my daughter handed me half of a turkey and cheese sandwich. Sadie immediately began reaching for the sandwich while walking forward, even with me - both arms straight out from the sides of my body - one holding the lead rope, the other my sandwich!

OMG, I have this 1,100 lb. 15.2 hh horse that is very determined to get my sandwich! I immediately put pressure on her nose with a firm verbal "whoa" then stronger physical cues as I tug and count 1, 2, 3...to simulate the Clinton Anderson method (with no training stick in sight and not like I had an extra hand to hold it LOL). To stop her from continuing to push me across the yard in her effort to get the sandwich - I finally had to jerk very hard on the lead several times! And, her response...was this woebegone, hurtful look like a kicked puppy! My response...okay, who in the @#$%&* has been hand feeding my horse?!!!

Okay, this sounds like a dramatic situation and with a person new to horses (like my daughter's new neighbors) Sadie's behavior could have caused injury, however, I was laughing in amazement the whole time! My daughter had been working with Sadie for during the year using Anderson's techniques for respect, and my daughter's friend in Oregon had introduced Sadie to Anderson's methods before shipping her to us. Yet, I had listened to my daughter begin many phone conversations with the words: "YOUR horse...[insert some asinine behavior]! My daughter had to repeatedly use the "training stick" at the maximum level of gaining respect to "wack" this mare. Talk about a stubborn, over-bearing, thinks she doesn't have to listen..., and its not that she's slow mentally! Exactly the opposite - Sadie is very smart with an almost calculating thought process - just like every other cow bred horse on the place. Unfortunately, she thinks she can go back to what she "wants to do" (or not do) on any given day.

Now, don't think she doesn't learn anything. Its just my daughter was not on Sadie every day and sometimes not every week/month due to some injuries my daughter had during the year. Even with the long breaks between training, I found there were enormous gains in Sadie's skills this summer as compared to the year before and she didn't fight during my rides. (It irks my daughter when even her older horses will willing let me do things they fuss at her for doing! I just tell her they know I'm the "fun person" that's not here to make them work too hard!) Anyway, I was quite happy with Sadie as she would do some very nice diagonals crossing over front and back legs, side pass, pivot on the front and rear, leg pressure stearing - just really nice improvement.

Here's the biggest and newest problem. After I came off of Sadie, June 29th, she had all of July off and her propensity to fuss and fight increased and now includes rearing! The first time she reared was in early August and it was only hopping up in the front. By the next ride, she went straight up. My daughter had her head pulled around while attempting to keep the rear feet moving, but Sadie would not move forward into the turn - she would go up! Or make a huge leap up and straight forward. That was the end of my daughter's patience!

I hope to send Sadie to a trainer for a couple of months. The guy my daughter takes reining lessons from on her older cow horse mare believes in the "oxygen" method. A horse will respond to the need for oxygen and be grateful for opportunities to breathe quietly. He is never mean or abusive, although, I am sure Sadie will think so when she has to do any work.

That about sums up my little mare's training issues. Wow, let's call this chapter one! LOL If anyone has any suggestions or techniques that have worked for you, I am all ears.

South West Illinois

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5968 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  04:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We should probably start a new thread for this as we have strayed from the short legs, long fenders.

I will re-post your last post in a new thread titled "In Your Lap Horse" on the training board. here is the link:

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7451

I would suggest a return to basics with Sadie. Every interaction has to be within the rules. Respect of space and do what you ask, every time.

Check out this thread on ground work, http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5401

and this post on lunging http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5402

for some of the basics.

For example, how I would have dealt with the sandwich chasing.

- Sadie is standing with me at her head with a halter. Sadie should have been paying attention to me with her attention brought back when ever it wandered away.
- When your daughter gave you the sandwich, the first thing to do would be to tell Sadie whoa, reinforced by a stand still tug on the halter.
- the first suggestion of movement from Sadie would result in a firm whoa followed by strong reinforcement tug ( perhaps a hard yank)and backing if necessary to regain her attention
- place Sadie back in her original position
- repeat as necessary.
- eat sandwich

It is important to be dominant (firm, demanding, kind and consistent) in the relationship.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 11/05/2009 05:02:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03