Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Hoof falling off?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  09:46:38 AM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I have to share this with you and I will post photo's Tuesday when I come back from my friends barn. The day I went to look at horses I went out into the lean-too at the Horse Dealers and I came across a beautiful Gelding. He was number 411. He has a great build and a kind eye and he followed me around like a dog. The fact of the matter is he was being saddled up for me to try out, when I was watching the horse I purchased "Maggie" being ridden by a kid for hire that was just confusing the heck out of her. I asked to get on her and I was sold from that moment. After I rode Maggie I rode number 411 and he too was outstanding and did everything I asked. They both even Side passed! But Maggie did it first so she was the one. If I has ridden this Gelding first he would be in my barn right now and not Maggie.
Anyway my GF went up to the dealer place to go to the tack shop and asked about number 411 because she liked him. Come to find out he had blown a huge abscess right above his hoof and he had lost a ton of weight. They were trying to take care of him but the comotion in a place like this is just too much for a sick horse. I guess they were trying to soak his foot and badage him in the Isle with 2 loose horses wreeking havoc. Not a pretty site. My GF came home and came by and was beside herself. We went back the next day. I could not believe what I saw. The smell was so bad I almost lost my lunch. This poor horse could not put weight on his foot ( it is his right hind foot) and when we left the stall he would cry for us. (heartbreaking) Plus they had a bunch of kids taking care of him.They were suppose to be doing what the vet had shown them and he was being pumped full of anitbiotic's but he was in a plce with 100's of other horses it was too much for him I think. So we came up with a plan, we had our Farrier go up there with us to check him out. To see if possibly we could rehab this horse back to being sound. She seemed to think it was doable but it will take about a year or so....that was all we needed to hear and my GF cut the deal with the dealers. Keep in mind that this horse was one of the horses that they rent out to a summer camp and make $1,000 on each summer. She got him for $500 ( I think she should have gotten him for nothing or even $200 ) But they had a price tag of $2,500 on him when I was looking at him. ( Horse dealers~ They are what they are )
We got him trailered home and that went surprisingly well. He loaded and un-loaded fine even while just being on 3 legs. The first night was rough. When we took the bandage off him the smell was so bad, he was in so much pain he just laid his head on my shoulders. We managed to soak it for 45 minutes and wrapped it with a Sugar and iodine paste ( I believe that is what the vet told her ) That night he laid down and he was simply exhausted.) The next morning he started eating hay and drinking lots of water. All good signs....as in just 3 weeks this horse has lost loads of weight. He drank 3 buckets of water throughout the day and he was urinating more. This was good. He was taking his grain and his meds. Eating hay all good. His stools are runny. Last night was the second night he was in his forever home and we did the process again fo soaking the foot draining re-wrapping etc. Well he soaked for only 15 minutes it hurt him and he pulled his foot away and hit it on the dollie we set up with the painter's light on it. As soon as he hit it, the abscess started to bleed and the smell was so bad. I hate to say this because it upset me that he bumped his foot but by doing so he opened the abscess more for drainage. We let it bleed out for a short time and washed it up then we wrapped it up again. he had more strength last night. You can see that it looks like his hoof is going to fall off. He is taking Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethoprin. he has had many shots of antibiotics etc. I don't know if any of you here have ever nursed a wound of this type or this suverity. If so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is it okay to post photo's of that type here on this forum? I want you to see it to get an idea of what I am talking about. After we wrapped his foot we took some Listerine and rubbed it into his left hind leg and wrapped that leg for extra support. This horse is a sweet guy and we are Lucky for this as he could be a horse that gave us lot's of trouble throughout this proceedure. Yet my GF knows that this may just be the dumbest thing she has ever done in her life we do know that somewhere in there is a great horse. We wanted to give him a chance at recovery. This morning he is doing even better as far as eating and drinking and being alert. We just know that we have a long way to go with him. I am wondering if anyone here has suggestions on what else to use for wrapping to draw out the infection? We are soaking once a day. As that is all he can handle he was shaking like a leaf while we were working on the wound last night. When we were done we cleaned his stall which is a large box stall 16x16. Which we have bedded with straw in case his bandage comes off we don't want to use shavings.
He then proceeded to eat his hay.
I have never seen anything like this. I can tell you that his wound looks better then it did up at the Horse dealers but it is horrific to say the least and painful. is there a way to draw it out quicker? Are there products on the market that I may not know of? Antibiotics that may work better? Will this hoof fall off? We are doing all that we can think of yet it may not be enough? I am open to any suggestions or advise. He is a bag of bones right now. I can not believe how quickly a horse loses weight after trauma like this.
Number 411 could very well be in my barn right now and maybe this would not have happened. We got him out of there and now we need prayers and all advise. His whole foot looks like hamburg. he has 3 abscess's they are draining but not fast enough for me. But his disposition is just wonderful through it all. ANYTHING that ANYONE can offer for advise or opinions please write. I can not be there this evening when they do his soaking and wrapping I have to work. I will get photo's Tuesday as long as I can post them. You may be shocked then again some of you may have seen something like this before. I have seen abscessed hoof's before but not like this. For now I need support and advise. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am beside myself and normally my GF and I would never have considered bringing this horse home./ But we did and we are praying that we did the right thing and that this horse will have the chance of recovering.

Atrayou

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2470 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always had good success using Icthamol to pull the yuck out of abscesses. It is brown and pretty smelly itself. I would clean the area and slop the icthamol on the area and into the abscess also then wrap it and put a boot on. I would re-dress it daily after cleaning the old icthamol off and soaking the foot in an Epsom salt solution in warm water for about 20 minutes a day.

I applaud you and your girl friend for going back for 'Mr 411'.
'What's the 411' is an album title, kinda catchy, hunh?
I can't wait to see photos.

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3206 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  2:46:00 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Atrayou. It sounds like this absess is very, very bad. I recommend seeking a vet's opinion and xrays. If the abscess is caused by some form of penetration, the infection may be so deep that it threatens the coffin joint, navicular bone, navicular bursa or deep digital flexor tendons. The infection may even affect the coffin bone and laminae and cause lower leg infection as well.

With your description of hoof separation, I wonder if this horse might have had recent laminitis, or a chronic condition caused by laminitis called seedy toe?

Definitely get a vet on this immediately; preferably a horse vet if available. Xrays are a must, as are strong antibiotics, not to mention a tetanus shot if you don't know if he has had one.

Prayers being said for sure as you treat this horse who can definitely count his blessings for having come under your care.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  2:54:55 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Barbaro. If this horse can't get his weight on the bad foot pretty soon, he's likely to develop laminitis in the other hind foot. I second appygirl's advice to get a horse vet on this immediately.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Chel
Advanced Rider

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  5:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send Chel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck with 411, I third Appygirls advice get a vet but dont give up on him he sounds like a dream and he couldnt be in a better place than with u getting the love and care he needs

Michele ~
Best friend of Cloud 15yr blue eyed mare, Hush little baby don't you cry, go to sleep my little baby, When you wake you will have all the pretty little ponies, Black and white, Yellow and gray, All the pretty little ponies
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
926 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  6:17:14 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sending thoughts and prayers for 411 you guys are great. I know there is going to be a happy ending here.

Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  8:33:10 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post the pictures if you want. But I agree this horse needs to be seen by a vet and a farrier. I would want the farrier to pare out the bottom of the sole to find the original defect. That way it can drain from both sides. I'd also want the horse evaluated for white line disease. Can you determine this? Is the hoof wall quality okay otherwise? If the abscess is draining and the pain hasn't significantly been reduced you've got something else going on. Can you pressure hose it rather than soak? IMHO call the vet, at the very least you need a good treatment plan and the vet call might save you money in the long run.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  8:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see the pictures as well but It's too hard to diagnose over the Internet. I would suggest that an expert horse vet review the foot and help set you up with a treatment plan.

Good luck. My thoughts are with you and 411.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:30:43 AM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh we have a Vet on it. Today he is trying to put weight on it. However I will get photo's up tonight. As far as his hoof falling off. It looked like it the first time we removed the bandage. Now that he is getting round the clock care and the wound is be addressed, it just looks like a huge bunch of raw tissue about the hoof. We have the Farrier on hand. She seems to think that no damage has been done to the Coffin bone. As far as a Chronic Condition from Seedy Toe....anser is NO! This horse has no history of Laminitus, or founder or anything. He was very healthy. The abscess's are draining. We are doing our best to get him moving to get the blood flowing. I am not sure about pressure hosing this. I will ask the vet. No x-rays yet. This is my GF's decision if he were in my barn it would be done. If he were in my barn that would be done. BUT it is NOT my call as I can only make suggestions here. I want everyone to understand this. If the horse were in my barn and I owed him all the things you have told me would have been done already. So all I can do is suggest and hope she takes my advise. He has been put on Bute as of last night also. He does seem to be improving daily. I was not there last night for the soaking and wrapping. But my GF told me that the smell is not as bad as it was. She said the foot is looking better. I will know more when I see it tonight.
Yes the Barbaro story.......BUT you all have to remember we are not RICH people like Barbaro's owners were. UNFORUNATELY. (lol)....we can only do the things that our budget can handle. Thanks you for suggesting the Icthamol....does this stuff hurt to put on raw tissue?
I think when you all see this wound you will be surprised. The abscess has opened and is draining. But it is draining just above the coronary band. Doing all that I can on my end. In reality the final decisions are up to my GF. As I have told her she has gone this far she may as well go the distance at this point. Our Vet in my opinion is great. Although he is 72 years old. He is one of the Old fashioned Vets ( if I may put it that way ) Been treating horses longer then I have been alive.) His methods have alway proved to be solid and have always worked for me and others that use him. While we also have access to other Vets ( The Newer ones that always start with expensive medical equipment, do surgeries etc. ) I am comfortable with the Vet we are using.
Just to let you know I have used both Vet"s for my own horses and the New Vet's are very young. My Vet has been around alot longer has done things like this for 50 years and even though we have the new technology out there I have my trust in him. He will not lead us in the wrong direction. If this horse needs surgery he will tell us. PLUS he is actually concerned and calls round the clock to check on the horse. I have found that these Newer Vet's do not emotionally invest themselves as he does.
Thank you all for saying Prayers for Mr. 411. As we need to come up with a name for this guy.
Any suggestions there would be GREAT! My GF was thinking of calling him "Caleb" As she always comes up with names that you would call your kids.....I am thinking he needs a good strong name. But again this is her final call....this can be frustrating on my part at times. As I want to just jump in and take action. But he is NOT mine. She is a wonderful person and truly has Love and is passionate for horses. She will do what is right by him. I know right now she is over whelmed and thinking she may have made the dumbest decsion in her life by taking this horse home. I disagree with her. I tell her he will pull through and she is doing the right things.
See Financially neither one of us could actually afford to bring this horse home. BUT we could not leave him and he is getting better care at her house then he was at the Horse dealers. So I am trying to keep her thinking on the right track. This makes her 4th horse in her barn and they actually had to tear down their chicken coop room to make the stall for the horse. She resqued a Standardbred a few years ago that was tied to a telephone pole for days and he was surviving on leaves. The guy that owned him was an idiot and this horse was a mess when he came to her. he is now a beautiful horse and very healthy. The sad part about all this is it is the almighty dollar that makes the world go round. We both knew that neither one of us was fiancially ready for this. ( this is why he is not in my barn~ yet if I had ridden him first he would be and I would just have taken out a personal loan to deal with this ) I will post the photo's this evening.
Thank you all so much for posting and I hope we get through this and the horse recovers. He has a wonderful disposition. The sweetest horse! I pray that God is on his side in this matter. Time will tell....plus all and any advise helps too! I will kepp you all posted. And AGAIN THAK YOU ALL!!!!
If I were financially comfortable I would be one of those people that would go to the Horse Dealers and take home all the needy horses in the state. Unfortuantely that is not the case. However we have stepped to the plate and we are giving this horse a chance at recovery. Fingers crossed. It helps when I can pass on imformation to my GF in hopes that she will take it and use it all wisely.

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
926 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:16:28 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
glad things are looking better for Mr. 411. Thoughts and prayers are still coming. I have a feeling he will turn out to be one hell of a horse. How about the name Noah, Noah survived the great floods, and I know Mr. 411 will survive because he is strong and he is with people that love him and care so much. I know the next posts will have better news yet, and anything we have done here to do with the house or whatever, we always trust the greyhaired people so much more than these new kids just out of school.

<<<<<<<<get better quick Mr. 411>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
856 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  1:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You said the abscesses have broken, and it smells terrible. Sounds like you have some infection going on. If you have raw flesh showing I think I would change from the sugar/iodine solution to something healing and drawing like furazone salve. If you use it make sure you wear gloves, it has been proven to cause cancer in people. I would smear it on well after you soak, and then wrap it back up. I don't like using it but it is really good stuff and its not expensive.

Have you started him on some kind of probiotic? The antibiotics kill off all the bacteria - both good and bad - so you need to keep reintroducing the good bacteria back into his system. The other thing you may want to think about is adding an immune booster to his diet. That will help strengthen his immune system so it can work on the healing.

X-rays will not show abscesses. I found that out this summer when I was trying to get Profit sound. I called the vet clinic and made an appointment to have digital x-rays done, and then was talking to my friend Dr. Donna. She asked about Profit's foot and I told her about the appointment. She told me to save my money, that abscesses won't show up, if there is something else going on it would show it, but not abscesses. I talked to the vet that was going to be doing the x-rays and she agreed, so I cancelled that appointment.

If he is putting weight on the sore foot now and it is looking better, and he is looking better overall, then it sounds like you are over the worst. Healing vibes going your way. It is no fun dealing with foot problems, they are so hard to keep clean and dry.

You have been referring to him as #411. Why not call him Four Eleven? I knew a horse one time that had an X4 brand on his hip and that is what he was called. I always thought that was a unique name.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Edited by - Mrs Hook on 11/13/2007 1:49:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:11:09 PM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:12:10 PM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:27:48 PM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay first let me say this looks alot better then it did. We are now using Icthamol. We soaked him tonight after we walked him. He is now putting some weight on his foot. Honestly the photo's do not do justice as far as what it looks like. It looks like his hoof is seperated in the back. But this is just the abscess bursting I believe. He did so much batter tonight as I think he now knows that we are trying to help him and not hurt him. We got a 15 minute soak and right at the end I got a huge whiff of that aweful smell and at the same time the horse turned his head and let out a big sigh....I think he felt it and I think it drained more at that moment. It sure smelled like it did anyway. So our vet feels we are doing everything right so far. Now we have the Icthamol and I think this will make a huge difference by tomorrow I think he will be putting more weight on it. I must say I was very pleased to see him with his leg lowered this eveing and it not lifted up in the air. This tells me that he is in less pain. Things are draining. Now it ia all time and any more advise helps. He is eating and drinking seems very alert, found out he LOVES Graham crakers and he did walk on it. We are thinking of the name "Lucky" with the abbreviations S.F. In front and that would mean Some #$%^ Lucky! My GF is finally feeling better about him and I think he has the will to get through. He certainly has the people to help. I will let you know how he is in the morning.
The photo's are prety nasty.....But under his hoof he is nice and solid. I think the Icthamol did not sting him as much so he was easier to wrap tonight. I did manage to talk them out of pouring peroxide over it before wrapping as Peroxide kills tissue. I am very happy with his progress....as I was really starting to wonder if he was going to make it. I do think he would have died if we had left him at the horse dealers. I just did not want my GF to have to put him down she never would have gotten over that. Nor I.

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

ArborealEquine
Advanced Rider

433 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send ArborealEquine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes its just scary how fragile these friends of ours are. You've got my prayers and healing thoughts, for whatever they're worth.

AE

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2470 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:59:05 AM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a whole lot of nasty!

I commend you both for your efforts, I can see where the hoof in the back actually looks like it is separating, there is no coronet band.
BIG healing vibes heading your way!

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5986 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  9:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks somewhat like a rope burn that has gotten infected from the way it is higher along the pastern.

Horses have an amazing ability to heal and my thoughts are directed to helping Four Eleven.

I think I can see replacement hoof growing and I hope as the foot grows the new hoof will progress to be able to support his weight when the old hoof finally separates.

Looks like the Vet is right on and with the help of the farrier I am hopeful for a full recovery. Patience is the word.

Good work. Healing thoughts coming your way from the Hooks.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  11:19:06 AM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it seems as though this horse is getting better daily. He is now putting some weight on this foot. We have been walking him before the soaking ans bandgae change. The smell is not so potent. I can tell each time we are getting frainage because of the odor. We have it all set up now so we tie a rope up against him so he can not get away. He is good through the entire process then he gets antsy when we go to wtap it. Although much better that past few days since using the Ictamol, I am not sure how thick to put this stuff on his wound. I also do not put it directly on the wound I spread it fairly think on 4 squares of gauze then just take it and wrap it onto wound. 411 LOVES Graham crackers! ALSO and this is funny. My GF's horses all bob their heads up and down for some starnge reason.....Well for the last 2 nights Mr.411 was doing the same thing!! I am thinking he is being a copy cat? Trying to fit in??? LOL. I do not like this behavior in her horses because I have gotten bopped in the mouth with her Big Standard bred "Cole" and it hurt. Her horses are like a bunch of 2 year olds. "Cole" actually kicks at his stall wall for attentiona nd he always tries to bite at "Lexie" the horse that is in the stall next to him....I realize they are just playing, and Lexiew has it down where she know exactly where Cole can not reach her. But the head bobbing thing I hate! Oh well they are not my horses.
Okay I must gp out and uncover my round bale as it rained all last night. I will chat with you all later.

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
926 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  8:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so glad to hear that S.F. Lucky is coming along, my heart goes out to him. You guys are doing a wonderful job. Thoughts and prayers always.

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3206 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  08:08:25 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear Mr. 411 is improving. Thank goodness you guys are there to take care of him.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay UPDATE!!! My GF can no longer afford to have the Vet out each night for the soaking and Wrapping so we are as of tommorrow on our own. Of course the Vet will always be on call. S.F. Lucky has come to terms with us having to do this process to him every evening. BUT he is now onto the medications being in his grain...LOL this tells me that he is feeling better. I do think his hoof is going to fall off. I will post more photo's tomorrow night so you all can see the progress. ( I do hope it is progress ) Only the eyes of others that do not see it everyday will notice the difference I think.
Lucky has a great personality my GF usually puts his hay in one spot of his box stall and tonight he did not want it there so he used his 3 good feet and pushed the hay back to where he wanted it. I LOVED IT! I think he is gaining weight. Oh I will also take a photo of him to post......BUT a little over 3 weeks ago this horse was in good weight now he is very thin. He has the cutest face! Although above his eyes are sunkin in I think he looks older then he really is which is only 9 years old!
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!! all for your prayers they seem to be working. I still have my fingers crossed and there are days when I just sit and cry my eyes out for this horse. I know in my heart if my friend did not buy him he would be dead right now.

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
926 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lucky is always in my thoughts and prayers. Can't wait to see what he looks like.

Go to Top of Page

Atrayou
Advanced Rider

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile Send Atrayou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
QUESTION??? My vet who is Old Fashioned and 72. Says that we should apply Iodine to this wound to get rid of the dead tissue. My fear is that this will burn like heck and it will disrupt our nightly soak and wrapping as Lucky has become accustomed to this proceedure. So I am thinking that we are going to apply the Icthamol directly to the wound tonight instead of on a gauze wrap then we put it on. He has a huge hole now above his hoof. The only way to get that stuff in there is to pack it in with our fingers. ( with gloves on of course ) I am thinking Okay with the Iodine but I would like to wait a few days and pack the wound with the Icthamol first to make sure we have good drainage first. Whatr are your opinions? I do listen to my vet but sometimes I feel that I have better solutions. I will do the iodine but I am wondering if it would be okay to wait a few more nights and pack the wound with the Icthamol first. As we were putting that tar stuff onto a bunch of gauze wraps then applying to the wound to wrap. I think if we put it directly onto the wound we will see more dramatic drainage. I do not want to ruin this horses trust by using the iodine tonight. He has been so cooperative. So Help PLEASE suggestions also. He is not ready for the Furazone yet. This will come only after all the infection has been drawn out. PLEASE I need advise. I will do what the vet says but I feel I want to give him even one more night by packing the Icthamol directly into the wound as he has a huge hole now. Pictures tonight of his wound and of him. But before tonight I could use some advise. What would any of you do??? This could be the thing that changes his behavior and makes him very hard to deal with. I do not want to go there. I really think that the way we have been doing it The Icthamol has not gotten into the deep part of the wound. I would like to try it this way at least one more night before the Iodine???? OR does anyone elase know of another product we can use beside the iodine to get rid of the dead tissue that is there? There has to be something?????

Atrayou
Go to Top of Page

Colleen
Trainer

Canada
926 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile Send Colleen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know much here but I've had iodine on myself and don't remember it stinging. It is a disinfectant and antiseptic, maybe you could use something else, alcohol etc

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  5:14:18 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMHO no ointment is going to do the work for you, you need to remove the dead tissue, dried serum, pus and the bacteria that is growing on the wound. I've said this before but the best way to do that is water under pressure. Clean the outside of the wound then direct the hose onto the wound. You want a stream that is forceful. Most wounds need to be flushed for a minute to five minutes depending on size and how stuck the "gunk" is. When done the tissue should appear clean and will probably be bleeding slightly. I really like nolvasan (chlorhexidine) if you are covering the wound. Nitofurazone ointments if you need to leave the bandages off.

I first heard about pressure washing when I was following the online chronicle of a horse that had fallen off a trailer and literally had a hole the size of a basketball by her stifle and numerous other horrific wounds. You could see bone. They pressure hosed faithfully twice a day and administered oral and topical antibiotics and the mare healed fine. Took a year! Some of the most amazing footage I've ever ever seen. Anyway I did some more research and pressure hosing is a technique that is simply irreplacable.

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03