Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Fitting Your Saddle to You
 too long stirrups
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

polocrosseplyer2
Beginning Rider

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit polocrosseplyer2's Homepage Send polocrosseplyer2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey chuck - or anybody

i bought a dakota saddle - oh who knows about a year ago - only rode in it a couple of times - the stirrups are too long and school started
should i order shorter stirrups from dakota ( since these ones are tooled) or should i just see if the saddle shop in the stocks yards can cut them down a bit?
any one know which would be more cost efficient?
thanks guys!
HAPPY LABOR DAY!

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  6:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you pulled the fenders as far up as you can? If the saddle shop isn't far you can take them in and see what they say. It may or may not be cheaper depending on what they have to do to them.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  6:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How tall are you? Many times, if you have a leather hole punch, you can add additional holes to shorten the fenders. Otherwise, Dakota can make up new fenders.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

polocrosseplyer2
Beginning Rider

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit polocrosseplyer2's Homepage Send polocrosseplyer2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, i have them all the way up - but the way the fender is shaped - you'd have to cut the leather on the side to make it go up any more - through the bottom of the stirrup if i added holes to it- but you can't take much off because then you would cut into the tooling on the (swell)? i guess that is what it is called?
i'm 5'1 and w/ the stirrups all the way up and my legs hanging down i have like 3 inches to spare.
thanks for the reply's everyone!
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  9:49:01 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have fixed this problem for clients before.

Most fenders are riveted to the stirrup strap, at the top, where it goes under your side jockey.
Its fairly simple job. You (the saddlesmith) remove the rivets, cut down the top of the fender, and re-rivet it back to the strap. Care needs to be taken that the trimmed off part is not going to show, below the jockey. Of course, if a taller rider uses the saddle, you will see the top of the fender.

It is a choice to be made by the owner, as it is a permanent alteration. The saddle will still be usable to taller riders, but may not be as pretty with the top of the fender showing, and could possible cause a comfort issue, if there is rubbing on the thighs, for the taller person.

It should cost ALOT less, than buying new fenders, but it is permanent.
Hope this helped you make a decision.

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

polocrosseplyer2
Beginning Rider

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  10:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit polocrosseplyer2's Homepage Send polocrosseplyer2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks everybody i'll let ya know how it turns out - until then i just ride stirrupless
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000