Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Camping, Trailering, and associated Outdoor Gear
 Equine Road Side Assistance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
862 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With everyone hauling to the DE Trail Ride I thought I would post this link to US Rider Road Side Assistance plan.

A show forum I am on say that this is the only plan that will deal with a breakdown involving a horse trailer.

http://www.usrider.org/

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The people on another forum--dedicated just to horse trailers--highly recommend this company, and I have read many posts from people who say these guys are fast and responsive, and really know how to help people with horses who have problems on the road. Good post, Mrs. Hook.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  05:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We will soon be able to give you some more details on this.

Mrs Hook convinced me that if she liked the idea and Flooper liked the idea I should be smart enough to understand too.

What's a guy to do. Last night night I decided that even though I am perfectly capable of handling most road emergencies ( after all I am a guy) there may be times when she is hauling alone where a " who you going to call" question is VERY important.

So I did the right thing, I signed up a membership for us both. $198 .

Hope the papers get here before we leave for Indiana.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another nice thing also is it isn't just for when you're hauling horses....it works just like any other motor club, like AAA, etc. So if you have a flat tire, a dead battery,lock your keys in your car etc....they come out and take care of it, give you a tow, etc. I've had it ever since I went to the last DE Ride, have never used it, but it's really no more expensive than the AAA Club I used to have anyway, so I've kept it. Like I said, I can't vouch for their service from experience since I have never actually had to call them, but many people have posted they got great, fast service when they needed it. .

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  09:53:03 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely sounds like a service well worth having. I have had several flats over the years while hauling, and let me tell you, it's not fun trying to find someone who can come to your assistance, because I DON'T know how to change a tire and probably COULDN'T even if I did.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Another nice thing also is it isn't just for when you're hauling horses....it works just like any other motor club, like AAA, etc. So if you have a flat tire, a dead battery,lock your keys in your car etc....they come out and take care of it, give you a tow, etc. I've had it ever since I went to the last DE Ride, have never used it, but it's really no more expensive than the AAA Club I used to have anyway, so I've kept it. Like I said, I can't vouch for their service from experience since I have never actually had to call them, but many people have posted they got great, fast service when they needed it. .

Well, money is definitely becoming a DEFINITE issue (adding up trip costs, lol) --however, this sounds like just a well-worth-it security blanket. One question. Their website says that with premium membership, they'll tow up to 100 miles included in the premium. Does anyone know how far they'll tow with a regular membership??? And what they charge per mile beyond that? I have a premium membership with AAA which gives me 100 miles of towing. However with a regular membership, it's something like 3 or 5 miles, period. Then they start charging you per mile, and I don't think it's cheap, that's for sure.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OTW...there is only one level of membership...it's $119 for one person...you can add others in your family as
"associate members" for something like 75 bucks or so. There is no "premium" membership...that's just a marketing term they use, I'm guessing!! If you join, you definitely get the 100 towing benefit. You don't have to join at some higher level to get it.

Cool thing is...they cover you no matter whose vehicle you're in! If you're riding with someone else, and they have a breakdown, you are still covered and can call them...even if you weren't driving. That's a pretty darn good feature to me...cause sometimes I ride with a friend to the trails in their truck/trailer.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 05/31/2007 10:39:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have BCAA, the british columbia version of AAA

I have the RVplus membership, and it covers my horse trailer as well. I get up to 300 kms of towing, which can be split between the truck and trailer, (150 each) and they do haul livstock in the trailer.

Friends have needed it, so they sent a big flatdeck tow truck, it put thier truck on the deck and hooked up to their gooseneck and hauled both at the same time. Took all the stress out of the situation.

That looks like a good plan in the link.

Cant say enough about the piece of mind having this type of coverage gives me, as I haul alone through the mountains alot. Only the dog knows how bad my singing is!

Ride safe, return safe.

Edited by - mtn rider on 05/31/2007 10:35:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi--

I just called and they said if several people join the same day, as a group, they will waive the $29 activation fees. (Hook & Mrs. Hook joined yesterday so unfortunately that wouldn't fall in same day -- I mean I don't think they'd refund it if already paid -- but beyond that if several people now join as a group (and I think the same day), they'd waive it. If anyone's going to sign up, let's all plan on doing it tomorrow "en masse," eh? As for having the papers arrive, she said they can take care of all sign-up stuff on the phone. I can't imagine the membership papers, etc. not arriving by the 14th in any event even if people signed up Monday. But it would be worth it to do it on the same day. I'm saying tomorrow to allow for people who are working today and won't read forum until tonight.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  12:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you sign up with an Associate Member( your spouse or child) they also waive the $29 activation fee.

I wonder if Mrs Hook and Flooper qualify for a commission?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  8:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just got home from 7 hours gone, and there was a message on my machine. The lady at USrider had told me if several signed up from one group, they'd waive the activation fee. The message she left said she'd checked, and they don't unless it's a group that clears that arrangement through the marketing department. (???) I'm sure it's a great service because AAA told me they don't mess with horse trailers and she said their referrals can be horrific expensive, but truly, if they waive it if you sign up an associate (spouse, child, etc.), I can't figure out why they wouldn't waive it if two or more sign up. Maybe because it's two separate memberships requiring separate paperwork. (I don't know why signing up for a service requires $30 worth of "activation" though, lol.) Oh well, such is life. I tried.

Sorry for any confusion.
Carol
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  8:46:09 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question--

Flooper, did you drop your AAA membership? I rarely get triptiks (at least haven't in a long, long time) but AAA is pretty great for that. If I'm going horse camping more this summer than last (which I probably will) then those are pretty valuable and this company doesn't do them. Otherwise, however, forgetting that one feature, when you got your policy with USRider, did you do a comparison of other benefits? Belonging to AAA and this one other than the triptiks may be a duplication. This one is pretty expensive. (Unless you need it, of course!!!)
Carol
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  8:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know it covered things just like AAA does...I do have AAA, and thought that if I signed up for US Rider, I'd have to have both, US rider for my rig, and AAA for my car. Now it sounds like all I would need is US Rider...so I may think about it.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:53:23 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

I didn't know it covered things just like AAA does...I do have AAA, and thought that if I signed up for US Rider, I'd have to have both, US rider for my rig, and AAA for my car. Now it sounds like all I would need is US Rider...so I may think about it.

EZ2SPOT

Well, you should probably check their website and give them a call just to clarify, but it says that it's not just your horse trailer, but any vehicle. And it doesn't even have to be your vehicle, it can be the vehicle of a friend you're with, as long as you're in the car. AAA is the same. I could be driving with Susan in her car, and have a breakdown. Like car insurance follows the car, AAA and it sounds like US Rider, follows the cardholder.

I don't recall what other benefits AAA has that matter to me -- the Triptiks definitely are mattering on this trip to Indiana, but towing appears to be the same (100 miles per occurrence) except USR includes the rig in addition to the truck, or I guess I should say, because of their specialty (horse trailers) it includes the truck in addition to the rig.

Definitely double check. Their FAQ on their website tells a lot. I read it in kind of a hurry.

It STILL seems to me that if several of us sign up there should be a group deal -- not going so far as a discount, certainly, but on something like an "activation fee." I have always hated "activation fees" however. Kind of a thing with me, lol.
Carol
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  11:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OTW...yes, I dropped my AAA coverage...US Rider covers all the same things as AAA, and with the horse trailer coverage, was just more suitable for what I needed. I never even heard of the triptiks thing! (Guess I don't pay much attention to stuff like that.)

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

spookthemule
Groomer

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  11:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit spookthemule's Homepage Send spookthemule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have AAA with the RV rider. They told us they would take care of the truck and horse trailer as far as towing. Taking care of the horses is a different matter. Does US Rider have provisions for that?

If a mule loves you, then you are loved indeed.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  12:44:12 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spook, check their FAQ section, I believe they don't deal with the horses but if you need to accommodate your horse nearby, they have lots of resources and can get you in touch with the type person you need. "I believe" doesn't mean for sure though.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just signed up. As a brief run-down verbally, if you have a breakdown that requires lodging for your horse overnight, they have lists and will help you find something.

Emergency (a collision) - To a maximum limit of $1,000, they reimburse for emergency vet care, your lodging and meals, rental car, horse accommodations for 72 hours or $1,000 limit, whichever comes first.

In either case, emergency or just roadside assistance, they will first try to do roadside repair if it's something like that. If towing is needed they will tow your truck AND your horse trailer (horse in it). That's 100 miles per vehicle. I imagine they don't have to be going to the same place, but not sure.

Roadside assistance also includes battery, emergency repair (up to $200), lock-outs and will bring fuel, water or oil if something happens -- you pay for the product.

Double check my understanding when you read contract or call her to verify, but that's what I understood.
Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  9:50:44 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had this service for a couple of years. I haul long distances, often by myself.

Two years ago I had a trailer tire go flat while on the road. Called them...... they sent someone promptly. That little deal covered my membership for that year! I have AAA, but they are no help for trailer, horses, etc.

I can highly recommend US Rider, at least so far, so good!

If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:12:15 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at their website and they had an excellent article on ICE (acronym for "in case of emergency") I thought I'd remind everyone that you should have your cell phone (and your families cellphones) pre-programmed with an "ICE" contact. Its widely recognized by just about every police/emergency service. Do it ASAP!

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000