Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Brands
 Price Bros Saddle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:11:56 PM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I need some help in finding information about my Dads old riding saddle. The Saddle is about 70 to 80 years old. Price Bros, out of Graham, Texas, made the Saddle. My Dad was reconnected with his old saddle a few years ago. Last week I started to bring it back to life with Saddle Soap. My Dad turns 80 this June, and it would be a real sweet treat not only to bring his saddle back to life, yet to get some history about the saddle. Can anyone help me? I tried searching for it on the Internet, no luck. I thought someone here might know, or know someone that does.

Paul

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  06:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul;

Welcome to the Forum.
Sorry I can't help much but if you post a picture of the saddle perhaps someone can help.

I would love to see a picture of the saddle and your Dad when you present it to him.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 04/24/2007 07:25:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  09:06:10 AM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

Thank you. When I get the Saddle done if I can figure how to send a picture of the Saddle with my Dad I will. I'm new to this site.

I am hopeful that someone on this site has the knowldge or knows someone that does about my Dads Saddle. He spent allot of his youth on that saddle.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We really do like pictures on the forum. A "before" picture would also be welcome.

Perhaps you can post some stories about your Dad and his "Time in the Saddle"

TO POST PICTURES ON THE FORUM∑ Open an account at http://photobucket.com
∑ Click BROWSE on the add pictures screen and upload your picture from your hard drive. This make take some time depending on the size of your picture file.
∑ When the upload is complete click on the "edit"button and set the maximum picture size to about 650 pixels wide.
. Now right click on the third line down titled ďimgĒ then COPY. With my computer I donít have to highlight, when I right click all of the required file info is highlighted
( Photobucket now mostly automatically copies when I click on the IMG)
∑ Now go to your post on the forum and put the cursor where you want the picture.
∑ Right click, PASTE and you are done.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  4:22:53 PM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the information on how to post the pictures. Thursday I'll take some pictures of the saddle cleaned up and oiled. I have pictures of what it looked like before all the work, I mean the labor of love I put into my Dads Saddle. I have contacted several places on the internet that specialize with Saddles, and I have a few that are willing to try to help me get the information that I am looking for. I also plan to call the Chamber of Commerce of Graham, Texas and see what they can do at thier end.

I do hope some here might know of the Price Brothers from Graham Texas, and help me out. I did get one piece of information that the company was making the saddles from 1900 to 1901. If that is the case, then my Dads Saddle is some 106 to 107 years old.

Keep your fingers crossed and I'll get the pictures posted as soon as I can, thanks Ed.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  05:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to the pictures. A saddle over 100 years old is certainly a family heirloom.

Good luck in your search. My fingers are crossed.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  2:37:45 PM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

I finally got the pictures done and put onto PhotoBucket.

I hope that someone here can tell me something about my Dads Sattle.

I made contact with someone in Graham Texas that knows the Price Family. He's going to find out what he can for me before my Dads 80th Birthday party this month.

Thank you for your help in directing me on where I needed to go to get these pictures on this forum.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  07:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul;

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Dad's saddle. Makes me want to sit in it and go for a ride to see if I can absorb the history. Looks like a saddle that you could ride in all day.

I have seen the style before and thought that you might want to check out the older Price McLaughlin information to see if perhaps the Price Bros were one of the founders of that saddle maker.

Price McLaughlin Saddle Shop
P.O. Box 199
Boyo, Texas 76023
817-433-5174

let's hope that the folks contributing and viewing the Forum can help with the history for your dad. If not, then I am sure that your Dad will appreciate the thought, time and effort in getting this saddle back into shape.

Any thought about presenting it to him on a horse? Is he still able to ride? Just a thought.

Wish your Dad a very happy 80th birthday from Canada and I would sure be interested in seeing a picture or two of the saddle presentation.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 06/09/2007 07:10:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Ed,

The Saddle is at my Dads, and that is where I had been doing all the work on it. Therefore, there will be no presentation of the Saddle since heís had it for about 3 or 4 years now. The last time my Dad rode a horse was back in the 70ís on an out of state hunt. He has diabetes, and his balance and many other things are going out on him. I recently wrote an article for Peggy Schaffer from the NBSSCA (the National Bit, Spur, and Saddle Collectors Association). It will be out to their members in their August Magazine. Itís about my Dad and his Saddle. I signed him up for a one-year subscription to the NBSSCA. Peggy is going to send me a colored copy of the cover and the article to give to my Dad. In August, heíll get the real thing. My gift to my Dad will be the subscription and the article about him and his saddle. Iíve asked if he wanted the saddle up on the ranch to show off, he gave me a firm no.

Thank you for the potential informational contact with Price McLaughlin Saddle Shop. Iíll give them a call on Monday. This weekend is a busy one for me.

I hope someone takes a look at the saddle or someone that knows the history of Price Brothers steps up and says something.

I am confident that my gift to my Dad will be one that really touches him. Especially when it will be done among those that he loves and cares about the most.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  07:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any Chance of getting a picture of your Dad with the saddle to share with us?. I sure don't want to impose on you but for some reason the saddle and your Dad together just sounds right.

Your Dad's birthday get together sound just perfect.

How would we get to see a copy of the article?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

I donít mind sending these pictures of my Dad with his saddle. I had taken the pictures of my Dad with his saddle the same time I took the previous pictures that I have already posted.

As for the Article, as far as I know you can only read the article if you are a member of the NBSSCA (the National Bit, Spur, and Saddle Collectors Association). I understand that the article will be in the August edition of the magazine. If you are interested in contacting Peggy Schaffer from the NBSSCA (the National Bit, Spur, and Saddle Collectors Association), go ahead and send me a PM that you wish to contact her, and Iíll send you her contact information.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  10:56:01 AM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

I did take a couple of picturs of myself with my Dads Saddle, and I was wondering how can I replace my cuttent Avatar with one fo those pictures. I went to my Profile, and I could not find a way to replace it and put one of those pictures in as my Avatar. How can I do that?

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  06:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger2007

Hi Ed,

I did take a couple of picturs of myself with my Dads Saddle, and I was wondering how can I replace my cuttent Avatar with one fo those pictures. I went to my Profile, and I could not find a way to replace it and put one of those pictures in as my Avatar. How can I do that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to make a 64 x 64 jpg or gif and upload it to the Internet somewhere, like Photobucket. Then give Chuck the location and which userid to associate it with and he will fix you up.

Here is a link to when I had Chuck make one for me.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2477&SearchTerms=Avatar

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  06:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Ed,

I donít mind sending these pictures of my Dad with his saddle. I had taken the pictures of my Dad with his saddle the same time I took the previous pictures that I have already posted.

As for the Article, as far as I know you can only read the article if you are a member of the NBSSCA (the National Bit, Spur, and Saddle Collectors Association). I understand that the article will be in the August edition of the magazine. If you are interested in contacting Peggy Schaffer from the NBSSCA (the National Bit, Spur, and Saddle Collectors Association), go ahead and send me a PM that you wish to contact her, and Iíll send you her contact information.

Thanks Paul, for posting the pictures. Sure hope someone can help with the info on your saddle. It must be pretty unique for no one to be able to help so far. I know i would love to have one like it.

Your Dad sure looks pretty good for his age. I can see the pride in him posing with the saddle. They look good together. Thanks for the E-mail.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  09:00:59 AM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I love the expression in your dads eyes and on his face! That says it all. His character is written all over his face. What a nice kind,and wise man he must be.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  10:01:16 AM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

Thank you for whom to contact to get my Avatar changed. I sent Chuck my new Avatar. Once he can get it done, Iíll have the Tiger replaced.

When I started looking for information about my Dads old saddle, I did a wide scale search on the Internet. I looked at a few other sites like this one, yet this site impressed me the most. I do wish and hope that I had made the right choice. I figured those that would be familiar with saddles, might just be here. Other then the saddle be fixed up as I have already done, and getting an Article done about my Dad and his saddle, I plan to print up the History of Price Brothers that I have collected to this point and give it to him.

I am surprised that no one has stepped up with any knowledge of the Price Brothers Saddlery, or even on who might know and how to contact them. Iím patent, hopefully someone will one of these days. Iíve been lucky with what I have gotten so far.

Hello Montezrider,

Thank you for your reply. My dad does not have a clue on what I have been up to. He knows that Iím researching on the internet about his Saddle. It will be a big surprise on what I have done when he finds out at his birthday party later this month.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

kran831
Tenderfoot

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:13:27 PM  Show Profile Send kran831 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found 3 listings for Price, one of which was Price Bros, but the only info I got was "around 1910". The other 2 were WE Price Saddle Shop Paducah TX prior to 1944 when C. Darr purchased shop, and the other was William K. Price, Austin TX 1887-1888. I wish I had more for you! Maybe try looking for an obituary? They usually have some good info on the history of people. That is how I found out about 2 saddles I have that were made in Lusk WY. Good luck! Nice saddle by the way. Your dad looks like a great person, too. Hope his party is splendid!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

Thanks one more time, for telling about getting in touch with Chuck to get my Avatar changed.

Chuck,

I appreciate you changing my Avatar for me.

Kran831,

Price Brothers and the Price Saddle Shop that I am researching were located in Graham, Texas. From what I have found out, that by 1897, it was known as the Price Brothers Saddle Shop. A historian in Graham has kindly been researching this information for me, and is still trying to make contact with the Price Family to determine if they can how old my Dads saddle is. Iím surprised that no one on this site knows about the Price Brothers, or their saddles. I just thought this would be a gold mine of knowledge that I could tap to find out about them. I guess I was wrong. From the information that I have gotten, the name C. Darr has not come up. There was a Josiah Porter hired Walter Price and he married Josiah Porter's daughter. I think the William K. Price, Austin TX 1887-1888 and C. Darr are totally different then the Price Brothers in Graham, which is West of the Dallas/Fort Worth area, quite some distance from Austin.

Iím surprise on how well the saddle has held up all these years without any care for it. We had to cancel my Dads Birthday Party. I took him into Emergency the night before Fathers Day. He had Gallstones, no warning. He had surgery the Wednesday after Fathers Day. Heís home now slowly recovering and getting his strength back. We have rescheduled the party for the first Sunday in August.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  5:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Ranger- That is too bad about your Dad's party, but good news that he is recovering. Amazing that he had no warning, and those things are painful, I hear! Glad that the celebration is rescheduled.

While I hate to send you elsewhere in your search, and hope that you can stick around Daily Equine, I did search Yahoo for a "group" and came up with one possible avenue of help. Their group (consisting of five, sorry) is called vintagesaddle-n-tack and here is what they say about themselves:

"This is a group to learn about vintage saddles and tack. Everyone is welcome from the beginning to the seasoned collector. Please feel free to share stories and post pics of your favorite old tack."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagesaddle-n-tack/ Might be worth a try....

Even if you feel that you might have hit a dead end here on DE, stick around and jump in on some of the other discussions...and we will want to know how your Dad's recovery progresses and how the August shindig goes!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

ILoveJoe
Clinician

USA
2499 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile Send ILoveJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Ranger, I am sorry I do not know anything about the saddles to help you out.

The saddle does look well for it's age, as does your father. I hope he is fully recovered.

Is this story you wrote something you can share with us?

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  08:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul;

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but glad things went well and his recovery is progressing.

Thanks for the update

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  12:16:39 PM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saddletramp,

Thanks for the info on the yahoo group, I joined it. I have not gotten a reply yet from itís moderator on my acceptance.

IloveJoe,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to be here. My Dad is doing better, yet he and his body are getting use to what he can and cannot eat without a Gallbladder now.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  8:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My Dad is doing better, yet he and his body are getting use to what he can and cannot eat without a Gallbladder now.

I am one-year post surgery. While I didn't have stones, I had an *abnormal* gallbladder and it had to come out last June. I had babied it along for almost a year...even tried to convince my doc that I was lactose-intolerant instead. No such luck. I'd hate to tell your Dad, but I'm still figuring out which foods I can eat, and which I can't....and still have some of the same diet-related symptoms as before surgery. Some foods will work today, but next week they might give me problems. And without a gallbladder I've discovered that it is infinitely better to "graze" thru the day, eating several small snacks than to eat three or fewer larger meals. Definitely don't skip lunch to save calories for dinner. It doesn't work.

Hope that your Dad continues to improve!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  8:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Saddletramp,

Thank you for sharing your surgery with me. I donít wish to carry this on here, where it does not belong. Iím sending you an email.

Paul

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Ranger2007
Tenderfoot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile Send Ranger2007 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share with you how my Dads 80th Birthday Party went up on the ranch on Sunday, August 5th. We had a big turnout, it was a beautiful day, and we all have a great time. It just seemed to have gone by too fast. We had BBQ Ribs on a real BBQ Grill. I think our Grill is about 6í long and about 3 to 4í wide. We had that stoked with plenty of good wood and great coals from the fire for the ribs. We had enough slabs of ribs that it filled the BBQ Grill. We had Corn on the Cob, picked the day before at a local ranch. We also had Beans, a Salad, and Garlic Bread. Before all of that we had shrimp and a few other ordurve's to keep us from getting too hungry.

As you can see, I have put pictures my Dads Cake and an old picture of my Dad on a Friends horse getting ready for a parade back in either 1947 or 1948.

What is on the Cake is in reference to his years of Hunting Deer and Elk. Just Male Deer and Male Elk were hunted over the years.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Montezrider
Clinician

USA
1284 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile Send Montezrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Love that picture of your Dad! What a treasure to keep! Thanks for sharing your dad's B-day.

A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000