Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Which Saddle Pad?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tuffy2712
Trainer

646 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  5:04:40 PM  Show Profile Send tuffy2712 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, with the Hoosier Horse Fair approaching I am planning on buying a saddle pad. Do you or anyone you know have good or bad experience with any of these pads? Pros/cons.

Five Star
Impact Gel
Professionals Choice

Thanks for your info!

Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

"And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Act 2:21 NLT

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  6:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the 100% wool Five Stars...prefer the Todd Slones but Five Star is good too.

Impact Gel is not all they claim it to be because it can bottom out but won't in most cases. Gel of any kind tends to be heavy which can be an issue.

Air Ride Prof. Choice pads have a shorter life span if you plan on using it a lot. Some riders only get about 5-6 months with them but they are using them hard like full time riding, roping, etc.

I prefer 100% wool felt pads about 1/2-3/4" thick split design so that it has some gullet relief and can shape to the back better. These pads wick sweat, form fit to the back and saddle if you use the same pad and saddle on one horse, and wear well if you take care of them.

The problem I see the most with pads is having too think of a pad. If the saddle fits anything over 1" seems to make it not fit and if it really fits with low impact riding you can normally get away with 1/2" pads. If you plan on putting a blanket over it go with something thin. So my show pads are like 1/2" with a thick show blanket over it.

But it really does not matter what other people like it comes down to what works for you and your horse and what you are doing. If you hate washing pads then look for something easy to clean. If you are doing high impact you may need something to help with shock or a little thicker. Saddle fit issues can't be padded away very well but if you have no choice(like a really hard to fit horse) then you may need to look for something to fix problems. Make sure it doesn't bottom out or that it has a lot of adjustment for pads with shims. If you live in a hot area or work the horse hard you need to work about heat build up(neoprene and gel build heat), weight(heavier it is the faster the back wears out), and sweat wicking. Like with saddles you may have to try a few pads before you get the right one.
Go to Top of Page

tuffy2712
Trainer

646 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile Send tuffy2712 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stormie,

I have a 1/2" all black felt (you'll see in my pics) and I do like how it conforms to him and the saddle. And it never slips, my girth can be really loose and it doesnt move! I do need to get a thicker one, I thought about 3/4 or 1". Its a cheapo from country supply. I've been leaning toward the five stars, just want to make sure before I cough up that kinda $$.

Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  9:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought on the matter is that if what you have is working well for you, then why change? Just buy another pad like it, but a little thicker. Then you can use your money on something else that you can use!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

tuffy2712
Trainer

646 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  9:21:57 PM  Show Profile Send tuffy2712 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They only come in 1/2" from country supply. So I'm going to have to try to find similar in a bigger width.

Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  12:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you just need a little thickness and not a whole new pad you could just add a wool blanket over it.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  07:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs Hook has a Professionals Choice Air Ride that works well on Profit. I think it's about three years old and holding up well.

Check out the saddle pads on Chuck's website. He has quite a wide selection.
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddle-pads.html

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 02/18/2007 07:39:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi;
Last summer we rode a lot, and long hours. We had saddle fit problems for the first time ever, so in addition to trading saddles, we tried a lot of pads.

5-Star: good, but as with any felt, the sweaty parts become a little stiff, even with cleaning. Other than that, it was a good pad.

Impact gel: did well, same problem with felt. didn't feel it was too heavy.

Professionals Choice: same thing.

I really liked the Skito pad. The inside is not felt; it's wool fleece. It's easy to wash, and you can replace, double, and adjust the inside pads with thicker pads to adjust the fit. (I bought a cheap Walmart sleeping pad, what you use under sleeping bags while camping, used the pad that came with the saddle pad as a template, and cut out another piece, which doubled the padding in that area. You could do lots of things with that, using thicker or thinner materials.)

If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  5:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DHC, a friend of mine has something I thought she called a "Sitka" pad; I must have misunderstood the name, because it sounds like what you described, with insertable pads and a fleece underside.

Anyway, she really likes it, and, I believe, used it on the Shore-to Shore ride in Michigan.

On the other hand, another friend thinks they are terrible, and swears by a pad made by Toklat, if I am spelling it right. I guess it all depends upon the horse and saddle.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  6:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"On the other hand, another friend thinks they are terrible, and swears by a pad made by Toklat, if I am spelling it right. I guess it all depends upon the horse and saddle."

Yep but mostly it depends on the humans. You can find people that love or hate anything and many times don't have a reason. Many times our likes or dislikes come down to what we have learned or used.
Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, personal preference is just that, "personal."

I'm finding that trail riding 4-8 hrs/day, several days in a row, dictates that I need a different saddle pad than when I was showing, practicing, or working young horses.

Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  09:45:03 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son and my trainer both bought the Impact Gel pad at the Hoosier Horse Fair last year. Both seem to like it so far. They both bought it to use on older, slightly arthritic horses with the thought that it would protect them better. Neither horse has had any problems so far, but, of course, who's to say it was the pad, or that they would have had any problems anyway. The design and quality of the pad is good, in my opinion.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  10:30:07 AM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinions, and thats just what they are, mine.

Thinner the better, with a properly fitting saddle, you shouldnt need anything thick. You can in fact, "unfit" your saddle, by putting too much thickness beneath it.

Felt
Unless it says 100% wool, it can be made of many things, mostly combinations of man made fibres, some with a % of wool, some not. Any felt you buy, read the tag. The wool ones will say they are, and be more pricy.
Being as wool is a good thing, you can be sure it will be advertised, if its there. Wool blend is not the same.
Man made fibres do not act the same.
Wool wicks away moisture.

I have endurance friends. You learn alot watching people prepare/train for 50 mile rides. If something doesnt fit/work, its going to show up on a 50 or 100 mile competition.
I have noticed this particular breed of people tend to lean to the skito pads, or dixie midnight pads, or some go for both. Very popular with the endurance types.

I had to fix a skito, when a horse pulled it apart a bit, with his teeth. They are well made, and pretty as well! LOL

Toklats. I remember looking into these, and liking them. However, I dont remember WHY I liked them, just that I did.

Myself, I have a prof choice pad for my crates, and a special memory foam pad for my treeless. With my F Eamores, I use wool saddle blankets.
I really would like a skito, and a dixie midnight, they are on my list, but I am waiting for Chuck to carry them!

I would do a search, find a couple of endurance sites, and read what thier opinions are. IMO any tack used for 50 miles,(and the training leading up too it) has got to be working properly.

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

dunhorsechic
Trainer

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  1:19:28 PM  Show Profile Send dunhorsechic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MTN RD;

Is the Dixie Midnight a neoprene pad? I've seen them mentioned in endurance sites, and I read that someone said they are expensive, but that you can buy the exact same thing..from 3M Company..it's a floor mat, or something like that, that you can then just cut to fit your saddle. Instead of spending upwards of $100 for a Dixie Midnight, you would be spending about $20.

Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

And if it is a sort of neoprene, does it not make the horses sore?

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  9:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't for the life of me remember the Dixie Midnight pad but I do remember a bunch of fluff on that 3M one. Google it. There was some issues that some people had with it. I don't know what it all was or if it was true(not everything people claim are true).

I wasn't really meaning personal choice in that way but more of 'what we know'. If you grew up and your parents and trainers always used a...half pad or a wither pad then you are more likely to stick with that because it is what you know. Doesn't matter if it is a good thing or not we tend to use what we know. Some don't do that as much as others but some do. You see this a lot in brand names, cars....makes me think of the whole Chev vs Ford thing, my father hates fords unless it's a tractor.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  9:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a Lami-Cell barrel pad on Hookie. It is quite thin with a woven underside with extra padding only where the tree touches the horse. It is also cut out where the stirrup leathers hang to provide an overall closer contact for my Tex-Flex Barrel saddle. Both Hookie and I like it.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  01:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Hook are you saying you wear it? lol
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  05:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

So Hook are you saying you wear it? lol

I wear it on Hook (AKA This Captains Hooked). Seriously, he like it because the flex tree saddle and the Lami-cell blanket fit his back pretty well and I like it because the thin close contact profile allows me to have a deeper seat with less added bulk.

You can see the cut-out and close contact profile in this action shot.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  1:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going ask if it was The Cloud pad but I forgot. I can't remember if that is the brand that makes that one or not.

The comment about you wearing it on Hook made it worst. Now all I can think of is you sitting on the horse with the saddle pad on your back! lol

Edited by - Stormie on 02/21/2007 2:02:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

barrelracer1163
Groomer

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  1:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit barrelracer1163's Homepage Send barrelracer1163 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love 5 Stars saddle pads, They are well worth the money and hold up great! With other brands of saddle pads I've bought I've noticed within a years time the start to compress or fall apart. NOT WITH 5 STAR! I have had my one 5 Star pad for 5 years and it is still in almost perfect condition! I will no longer use any other pad on my horse.

Rachael, Sales Expert @ HorseSaddleShop.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000