Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Thrush and frog growing back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  10:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been fighting thrush with our one mare for several months. I think the thrush is finally gone. But her frogs are bad--I am just wondering if there is anything I can do or give her that will help them grow back faster. Also should I be maybe packing them to keep mud/manure out. It has been very wet and has been very hard to keep the pasture clean because it is so muddy--and even though we clean her hooves good daily she is out in the pasture soon after. As I said I believe the thrush is finally gone and its dry now finally but her frogs are terrible

Dorthy Brown

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  10:33:21 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you just have to let them grow out on their own, with a good healthy diet. I'm not sure, but I don't think biotin supplements would help the frog -- someone correct me if I'm wrong. We have battled this same problem this year due to the wet conditions. I think I would just clean them every day and use a thrush treatment like Koppertox a couple times a week as a preventative. Seems to me like closing them up with packing would just create an ideal place for it to grow, since it is an anaerobic bacteria. Keeping open to the air is the best preventative. I think the frog should grow and start to shed in a few weeks.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Annie Oakley
Advanced Rider

193 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:11:11 AM  Show Profile Send Annie Oakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Koppertex destroy frog tissue? I thought I read somewhere to limit use of that to only the amount it takes to kill the thrush.
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone knows the answer to that let me know maybe that is part of th reason her frogs are so bad--of course I have used just about everything you can think of on her to try to get rid of the thrush

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  10:00:29 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean her frogs are "bad"? Shriveled up and hard? peeling in sheets? crumbling?

Copertox is pretty strong.... but I don't know that it would destroy tissue...depends on how you used it and for how long I guess.

For future info, everyone around here is raving about a product called Clean Trax just google it...supposed to be awesome for thrush, fungus, abcesses, white line disease .... there are some prominent vet practises (like Rood and Riddle) that highly recommend it. No personal experience but when I googled it I don't think a single person said didn't work....and we all know how chronic hoof problems can be. Its not cheap though (about $18 a bottle...2 treatments?) and you pretty much have to spend the day soaking the hoof (like 2 hours!!) But on the positive side it will not harm healthy tissue and I guess it releases vapor as it works so it penetrates all cracks and crevices. It supposedly can work in one treatment!!!! If anyone tries it I'd love to hear what they think!

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of Koppertox doing that and I have used it for years. I also use Iodine both for the same reason, to stop anything from starting.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5976 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  06:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We use Koppertox as well and have never experienced any frog deterioation because of it. Regular use for a week or so seems to stop the thrush or any other bacerial action and promote the growth of a healthy frog. I normally try to trim away any loose or deteriorated frog as wel as making sure the sides of the frogs do not overlap the grooves to make it easier for the hoof to be self cleaning and easier for me to clean.

You may have to stall her over night for awhile to help them dry out.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I mean much of the back of her frog is gone--completely gone. I have been fighting her Thrush for about 2 months with vet and farrier advice--she has bad hooves--was not cared for well for about a year before we got her and has not had time for good healthy hoof growth yet. I have had to use various treatments--vet said some treatments work for some some better for others--some kinda get immune to certain treatments...........anyway. Like I said I think the thrush itself is gone now but I want the frog to grow back fast---if thats possible..... I guess I can call the vet and ask. I should have asked him the last time he was out I was just so concerned about getting rid of the thrush at that time I wasn't think ahead about getting the frog to grow back

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
5976 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  06:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about the frog growing back. If you keep the thrush under control and it will regenerate over the next few months. You will see progress at every trim.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. That makes me feel relieved.

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03