Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Mold on leather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gaitingal
Beginning Rider

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  1:21:35 PM  Show Profile Send gaitingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to remove mold from a saddle and keep it off? I have a saddle that I cleaned and conditioned the last time it was used. I haven't used it all summer and when I went to use the saddle today the saddle has mold on it. I used to store it in my barn but after I cleaned it late winter, I stored it in my enclosed front porch. How do I get it off and keep it from coming back? Does anyone else have this problem?

gaitingal

If you think I'm quiet, it's only because we aren't talking about horses!

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  1:37:43 PM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've been battling it all summer. Moisture is the big problem. Here are some tips I've read:
Take the saddle outside, or out of the tack room to clean it. Brushing off the mold in the tack room will spread the spores everywhere.
Clean with brush, rag, soap & water, or saddle soap. Then either dispose of the rag or seal it up, or take it away from the tack room.
Dry the leather, then let it sit in the sun for a while. The sunlight will help kill the mold spores.
Then treat the saddle with Leather Therapy Cleaner & Conditioner.
Each time the saddle is used make sure it is dry before putting it away. A little time in the sun will help.
Also be sure the saddle pad is dry of sweat before storing it.
Try to store everything in a well ventilated area. An air conditioned or moisture controlled room would be best, but of course this is usually not possible in the barn.
By the way, I've also read that the mildew really doesn't hurt the leather, it's just unsightly, if that makes you feel any better.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
844 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  2:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another site they had this discussion.

Some suggestions were to spray it really well with Lysol before you clean it. It is supposed to kill the mold spores. Then spray with Lysol before you put it away--after its dry and aired out, of course.

Sunshine kills mould so if you can get it out in the hot sun it will help.

Apparently, neetsfoot oil encourages mould growth, so don't use it.

Someone suggested a mild bleach solution, but I can't remember the dilution.

If I remember any more I will post them.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

gaitingal
Beginning Rider

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile Send gaitingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Not only is it ugly to look at and stinky to smell, being around the mold makes my eyes itch. I never thought to put it in the sun and I was afraid beach was too harsh for leather. Not to mention the fact it could cause it to change color. But if the bleach is mild enough it might just do the trick. And I never thought of lysol either. Do you recommend I let it dry after spraying the lysol before trying to clean it with leather cleaner so I don't saturate the leather?
HM...NOW you tell me A big ol duh for me! I'm allergic to mold..so what do I do? I bring the saddle into my LIVINGROOM to clean while I watch T.V. I'm such a putz! However in my defense, I do wipe the saddle down with a damp rag before I do anything else. After I am done cleaning it , I use leather CPR to condition my leather. And I don't use neatsfoot oil either, it darkens leather and all of my saddles are some shade of brown. Don't want them any darker. I store my saddles in a saddle bag and my saddle blankets/pads don't really touch the saddles so I don't worry too much about that particular problem. However, I'm still dumbfounded about mold allergies and the livingroom thing. Well, thanks for the help...need to see the Wizard about a brain.

gaitingal

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5012 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  3:02:25 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You say you store your saddle in a saddle bag? I'm not real familiar with saddle bags, but could the bag be holding the moisture in your saddle and not allowing enough ventilation? Could this cause a saddle to mold with all the rain we've been having in Indiana recently... or anywhere else for that matter?

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mrs Hook
Trainer

Canada
844 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  3:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mrs Hook's Homepage Send Mrs Hook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not take the saddle out in the sun, give it a good sraying with Lysol - in all the cracks and crevices and leave it out for a few hours? Turn it as necessary to get the sun all over it. Then, do your initial cleaning outside.

You may want to consider using a mask while handling anything moldy. I am just recouperating from a problem caused by some kind of fungus that was in some straw we got in. It hasn't been fun.

Your saddle bag has the mold spores in it as well, so it will have to be washed. After you get rid of all the spores then try to find some of that no-damp stuff they put in campers in off season to prevent mold. Depending on the kind you get you could just put it in the bag with the saddle.

Could you run a dehumidifier where the saddles are kept?

I know there is a tack cleaning product that has some kind of anti-fungus stuff in it but I didn't pay attention as a lot of stuff that you have is not available in Canada.

Mrs Hook's Riding Log

Go to Top of Page

gaitingal
Beginning Rider

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  3:48:38 PM  Show Profile Send gaitingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RH, the saddle bag is also called a saddle carrier. It has a fleece lining inside and the outside is a denier fabric and it zips all the way around. My saddle isn't wet when I put it away so the dampness is just from regular humidity I think. I always wash my saddle carriers in the washer and put them in the dryer when I clean my saddles. I don't have an arena so dust isn't an issue, so I usually just wipe the saddle down with a dry towel in between cleanings. We have had so much rain this year!!! I live in In. too and we have had plenty!! I keep most of my saddles in the barn so a dehumidifer isn't practical. The only reason this saddle is on my front porch is because it just never made it back out to my barn. My plans are to clean all of my saddles and carriers next week and get them all ready for winter.
Mrs.H, I am definately going to do the lysol thing in the sun almost a.s.a.p. I have gotten so far behind on my house work this summer with the rib injuries, my cobwebs have cobwebs. I really need to get the muumy dust under control first. My plan is to lysol my saddle Mon. weather permitting. I'm really sorry to hear about you fungus related health issues from the hay. I hope you are doing better. My eyes itch and my throat is scratchy and my breathing is irritated by the mold. I hope it didn't get any worse than that for you. I will use a face mask when I clean the mold. Is the mold retardant like a silica in small bags, like the stuff you get in the box with new boots etc?

gaitingal

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  12:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would use the lysol or white vinegar but not the sun because the sun can cause color changes and dry out the leather too much. What I do is wipe the leather with the white vinegar, let it sit for awhile and then clean it as normal with a good saddle soap, condition it and then let it sit away from any heat source. I do kind of the samething on tack for fungus problems on horses but I always use the lysol.
Go to Top of Page

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't think the sun will hurt it. Working saddles are out in the sun all day everyday and do just fine. You don't need to leave yours out in the sun all day, I'd say just for a short while to get the advantage of the UV rays. I would use a conditioner though after you're all done.

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  09:03:29 AM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a article i found on another site for you on treating mold on leather saddles.http://www.infohorse.com/html/moldytack.asp
Go to Top of Page

gaitingal
Beginning Rider

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile Send gaitingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for this link I found it very helpful. I am going to order that brand of leather cleaner and closely follow it's instructions. I will also re-wash all of my covers in hot water/bleach and add the leather therapy in the washer. Everyone has given such good advice on this, thank you.

gaitingal

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's so much the sun but the combo. of the wetness and sun. Even work saddles change color because of the sun and dry out because of it. But when you add the wettness it speeds that all up and the fact that you are putting something on the saddle that is going to strip it of some of the natural oils in it that is really going to speed it up.
Go to Top of Page

tazassape
Groomer

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  11:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit tazassape's Homepage Send tazassape a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read in Western Horseman (I think) where you mix atheletes foot powder in your oil. It should kill the fungus.

My horses try to teach me something every day.
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hmeyer

By the way, I've also read that the mildew really doesn't hurt the leather, it's just unsightly, if that makes you feel any better.

Hey thanks for that tid bit of wisdom. That was like music to my ears. It is unsightly though indeed, but now I can relax that it's not eating my leather away. I have a mold problem at the barn where I keep my tack too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03