Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Camping, Trailering, and associated Outdoor Gear
 Highline, picketline?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hmeyer
Clinician

USA
2194 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  10:43:06 AM  Show Profile Send hmeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lovelltrng

I am excited to try the highline this summer on my camp trip.

Me too! I got Adam a highline kit from Outfitter's Supply for Christmas. It includes a 100' rope, tree saver straps, four in-line swivel ties, and a carrying bag. Hope he lets me tie up to it also!!

"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A manís soul canít be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Go to Top of Page

hoopski
Advanced Rider

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  1:37:28 PM  Show Profile Send hoopski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of high lining two horses on separate lines vs. on the same line? My first thought is that separate lines would keep a spooked horse from affecting the 2nd horse as much.
Go to Top of Page

puddleplasher
Clinician

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddleplasher's Homepage Send puddleplasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes, it's true, separate lines means less for a spooked horse to bung up. I'm recalling one middle-of-the-night where (as far as we could tell) one horse woke suddenly from a bad dream and managed to pull one end of the highline completely down. With the other horses reacting (not violently, just moving around) it ended up as a big spiderweb, like one of those kids games to untangle: "ok, you lead your horse between those two, and now YOU lead yours over the rope here..." Fortunately everyone was calm, even the bad-dreamer, and we all stumbled back off to bed in just a few minutes. So if it's possible, separate lines might be better, but it's not always possible.

On a separate note, I've heard of people setting up a highline between two trailers, where the line runs from a tie point on the outside of one trailer over the top of it, across a large gap between them, over the top of the other trailer, and tied off to the far side of the second trailer. The horses end up between the two trailers. Has anyone tried this? It seems like it would be a good setup if you're in open area with no trees...

'plash

Pepper sez: "Don't forget the horse!!"
'Plash's Ride Log
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000