Put Free Equine Definitions on your website

Daily Equine Forums Click here to visit HorseSaddleShop.com
Visit HorseSaddleShop Blog
HorseSaddleShop Facebook
HorseSaddleShop Twitter
Daily Equine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Saddle makers mark
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rideslikemonkey
Tenderfoot

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  02:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit rideslikemonkey's Homepage Send rideslikemonkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi
Iīm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I come jumping straight in with a question.
I have been given a western saddle with a mark on the horn? I do not know the mark and was wondering if anybody could tell who made the saddle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1212 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  07:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know who ultimately made that saddle, but there is a Horseman's Paradise store in Indiana - no website but the phone number is (812) 367-1149

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

rideslikemonkey
Tenderfoot

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  08:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit rideslikemonkey's Homepage Send rideslikemonkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, is Horsemanīs paradise a maker of saddles? Or just an outlet for saddles?
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1212 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  09:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are most likely an outlet like us. We have our own custom saddles that has the HorseSaddleShop logo on the latigo keeper but in reality Dakota Saddlery makes our saddles for us.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

sharon
Advanced Rider

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile Send sharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some will tell you that the flower on horn cap indicates that the saddle is a Simco. But I have owned many old Simco saddles and all have been clearly marked Simco.

"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  8:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every high school art class has that flower leather tool....I can't imagine that a saddle co. would choose it as their identifying mark of choice. Too common, I think.

I thought that Simco's have an S ingraved into the horn cap...?? I'm probably mis-remembering. This thread makes me want to go out to the barn and check the mark on my old saddle.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

~~~~~~

When you work here, you can name your own salary. I named mine, "Louie".

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

sharon
Advanced Rider

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  10:59:15 PM  Show Profile Send sharon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Saddletramp,
Let me know how your Simco is marked. My current one has no mark on the horn cap. My older one was stamped with a flower on the horn cap and also stamped Simco on the seat.
Here's just one example on ebay. Check out the horn cap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Saddle-Used-15-Simco-HorseTack_W0QQitemZ7185154387QQcategoryZ3178QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."

Edited by - sharon on 09/28/2005 06:25:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

rideslikemonkey
Tenderfoot

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit rideslikemonkey's Homepage Send rideslikemonkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys you have been a great help with this. Iīm sure the Simco saddle in the link is the same as my saddle, itīs very similar.

Thanks a million

Andy
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3372 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have an older Simco barrel saddle with the flower stamped on the cap also, never noticed it before!
Go to Top of Page

rbpaints
Tenderfoot

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  06:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit rbpaints's Homepage Send rbpaints a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have just bought a old saddle with a makers mark of RD Moore 12/25 can anyone tell me how old this saddle is? anything about the maker?
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  10:33:37 AM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy there Rides! Welcome to the Board!
Glad to have ya here!
I have never seen a saddle with that kind of marking on it sorry.

Welcome again!

"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5012 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  6:54:48 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Simco is probably close to 20 years old, if not older, and it says Simco right on the latigo keeper in a logo that includes the head, chest, and front legs of a rearing horse. The top of the horn is tooled to match the rest of the saddle.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forums © .... Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03