Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Report on Woody Pet -vs- Shavings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  06:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think that when horses have a choice they like to go in a secluded area and eat in an open area unless the weather is real bad. I ouldn't worry about it. If the ground conditions are too messy for outside, just put it in her stall at the front so she can eat and look out.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  06:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think that when horses have a choice they like to go in a secluded area and eat in an open area unless the weather is real bad. I ouldn't worry about it. If the ground conditions are too messy for outside, just put it in her stall at the front so she can eat and look out.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW- Try moving some of Cloud's manure, and wet bedding outside in the location where you WANT her to go....don't spread it...leave it in a pile, as naturally as she would. She may not realize that she CAN go outside...

But yes, from what I've heard and witnessed, most horses want to defecate on a surface that inhibits splashing.

Before we moved to the farm, I had a couple horses boarded at a place that did not offer turn-out. Brought the horses here and they would "hold it" all day outside until they were brought into their stalls at night! It was the only way they knew.... I moved some manure to a couple corners of their outdoor turn-out. To this day, and namy different horses later, any horse out there will choose a corner to relieve themselves in!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW- Try moving some of Cloud's manure, and wet bedding outside in the location where you WANT her to go....don't spread it...leave it in a pile, as naturally as she would. She may not realize that she CAN go outside...

But yes, from what I've heard and witnessed, most horses want to defecate on a surface that inhibits splashing.

Before we moved to the farm, I had a couple horses boarded at a place that did not offer turn-out. Brought the horses here and they would "hold it" all day outside until they were brought into their stalls at night! It was the only way they knew.... I moved some manure to a couple corners of their outdoor turn-out. To this day, and namy different horses later, any horse out there will choose a corner to relieve themselves in!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Suddenly my gelding and mare have decided outdoor bathrooms are cool...sure cuts down on the shaving costs! The splash factor is key, and put down some shavings outside and now the new "loo" choice for the most part. We'll see how long this trend lasts! However, the TB continues to lie next/in it! NOT in the barn shavings

Rigged up a "night light" for the TB...trying to get her used to eating in the covered barn. She was losing a little weight after I moved her feeder in there...just does NOT like the closed dark places. Seems to be helping.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Suddenly my gelding and mare have decided outdoor bathrooms are cool...sure cuts down on the shaving costs! The splash factor is key, and put down some shavings outside and now the new "loo" choice for the most part. We'll see how long this trend lasts! However, the TB continues to lie next/in it! NOT in the barn shavings

Rigged up a "night light" for the TB...trying to get her used to eating in the covered barn. She was losing a little weight after I moved her feeder in there...just does NOT like the closed dark places. Seems to be helping.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Oh, she goes outside all right. And in her stall. And in her indoor pen. This animal is a wind-up poop machine. Egads, I think I get more weight back than I put into her, lol. I don't know where it all comes from !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Oh, she goes outside all right. And in her stall. And in her indoor pen. This animal is a wind-up poop machine. Egads, I think I get more weight back than I put into her, lol. I don't know where it all comes from !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:03:59 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
But it makes sense what she's doing if horses like to eat in the open, with "bathroom" in secluded place. That's precisely how she's doing it.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:03:59 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
But it makes sense what she's doing if horses like to eat in the open, with "bathroom" in secluded place. That's precisely how she's doing it.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  06:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

Poop machine...perfectly describes my 2yo filly! She really outdid herself this morning! While the other horses went maybe twice overnight, I counted no less than 8 little piles in her stall. My dad keeps saying I must be feeding her too much, but she is just at an average weight and still growing, so I would hate to cut her down...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  06:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

Poop machine...perfectly describes my 2yo filly! She really outdid herself this morning! While the other horses went maybe twice overnight, I counted no less than 8 little piles in her stall. My dad keeps saying I must be feeding her too much, but she is just at an average weight and still growing, so I would hate to cut her down...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Yeah, that's about the size of it! Cloud must have a private stash somewhere because 20 lbs. of hay per day go in, and it seems like 30 lbs. of STUFF comes out!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Yeah, that's about the size of it! Cloud must have a private stash somewhere because 20 lbs. of hay per day go in, and it seems like 30 lbs. of STUFF comes out!!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  10:34:05 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I read somewhere that a horse on pasture can produce 40 lbs. of manure a day!

Just something to think about.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  10:34:05 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I read somewhere that a horse on pasture can produce 40 lbs. of manure a day!

Just something to think about.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:59:00 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
RH I'm not surprised. Every time I clean Cloud's stall and indoor pen... well, let's see, yesterday morning I dumped my 10 cu. ft. wheelbarrow (almost filled to brim) and it's ready again. Sheeeeeesh!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:59:00 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
RH I'm not surprised. Every time I clean Cloud's stall and indoor pen... well, let's see, yesterday morning I dumped my 10 cu. ft. wheelbarrow (almost filled to brim) and it's ready again. Sheeeeeesh!!!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Instead of Woody Pet, I now use what my feed store carries, which is the same thing in slightly larger bags, called Equi-Litter. The instructions say to lay the bags down flat, cut an "X" into the side facing up, and pour a gallon of water into it, wait at least 10 minutes, and dump it out. It is quite amazing to watch...rather like corn popping! This could probably be done with Woody Pet, too. IMO, it is easier than spreading it out & THEN trying to wet it all down by spraying it.

The stores around here sometimes run out of Woody Pet and similar products during the winter. If this should happen to you, here's a reasonably good substitute--buy a bag of those wood pellets meant for use in stoves. Just read the label & make sure there is nothing in there that could be dangerous to your horse, like walnut or chemicals. The ones I bought were oak, and cost less than Woody Pet. Didn't work quite as well, and was much darker in color, but, like I said, worked reasonably well until I could get the stuff actually made for horses.

And this almost seemed to me to be a crime...those wood pellets were soooo much cheaper than the stuff actually meant for horses! Are we being taken advantage of, or what??? Horse stuff was pine; stove stuff was oak. Seems like the horse stuff should cost much less than it does....

EZ2SPOT

Edited by - EZ2SPOT on 12/31/2005 2:02:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  2:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Instead of Woody Pet, I now use what my feed store carries, which is the same thing in slightly larger bags, called Equi-Litter. The instructions say to lay the bags down flat, cut an "X" into the side facing up, and pour a gallon of water into it, wait at least 10 minutes, and dump it out. It is quite amazing to watch...rather like corn popping! This could probably be done with Woody Pet, too. IMO, it is easier than spreading it out & THEN trying to wet it all down by spraying it.

The stores around here sometimes run out of Woody Pet and similar products during the winter. If this should happen to you, here's a reasonably good substitute--buy a bag of those wood pellets meant for use in stoves. Just read the label & make sure there is nothing in there that could be dangerous to your horse, like walnut or chemicals. The ones I bought were oak, and cost less than Woody Pet. Didn't work quite as well, and was much darker in color, but, like I said, worked reasonably well until I could get the stuff actually made for horses.

And this almost seemed to me to be a crime...those wood pellets were soooo much cheaper than the stuff actually meant for horses! Are we being taken advantage of, or what??? Horse stuff was pine; stove stuff was oak. Seems like the horse stuff should cost much less than it does....

EZ2SPOT

Edited by - EZ2SPOT on 12/31/2005 2:02:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jreed
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  3:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jreed's Homepage Send jreed a Private Message
I've not compared the prices, but i know that on breeding farm i worked at when a mare was close to foaling (like w/in a day or so) and we stripped her stall down and put sawdust in we always threw down some woody pet under the straw. it wasn't dusty so there wasn't the risk of infection, and when she did foal, it was so easy to get the soaked straw up- it didnt soak down into our clay floor. Helped with stall cleaning tremendously too!!! (unfortuantley it really did a number on my weekly hours there)
Go to Top of Page

jreed
Tenderfoot

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  3:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jreed's Homepage Send jreed a Private Message
I've not compared the prices, but i know that on breeding farm i worked at when a mare was close to foaling (like w/in a day or so) and we stripped her stall down and put sawdust in we always threw down some woody pet under the straw. it wasn't dusty so there wasn't the risk of infection, and when she did foal, it was so easy to get the soaked straw up- it didnt soak down into our clay floor. Helped with stall cleaning tremendously too!!! (unfortuantley it really did a number on my weekly hours there)
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  8:21:30 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
HMMMMM!!! Never thought of putting the WP UNDER the shavings! I am now forgetting how much dirt I had on the base before I stripped all the shavings out of indoor pen and added WP, but I'm sure it wasn't as much as I'm seeing now. It's been in there quite a while now and it looks like rich earthy dirt. But it definitely packs down. IF it's WP, then that could be a great layering trick! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  08:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Scratch what I said earlier about subsituting wood stove pellets for Woody Pet! Right now, in my area, you can't find either one! The guy at my feed store said there was a shortage of wood stove pellets, so that people had come in & bought him out of the bedding pellets, to use in their wood stoves. He said the bedding actually doesn't work very well for that, because the pine pellets burn much faster than the hardwood pellets do. Well, anyway, he expects to get another shipment in by next weekend, and if I'm lucky, maybe I'll get there in time...if not, then I guess it is back to wood shavings for me, at least for awhile. Which brings me to another topic regarding feed stores...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000