Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Outfitting Trailer / Trailriding Take-alongs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  9:13:57 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
OTW,
yes, thats how it was described to me.
I saw another thread has been started on this topic, how bout we leave this thread for your trailer, and see what people are saying about it there?

As far as the fringes go, maybe people in this part of N america wear them low??
Also, now that I think about it, they usually have them on in the pasture, not so much while riding.

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  11:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
OTW, I just bought my first "new to me" trailer too!! I am so excited! I have been reading this thread and getting LOTS of info for when my trailer gets here. My trailer sounds alot like yours too. It is a 1980 Campbell Coach 2h straight load with walk thru dressing room. It is an extra tall and wide trailer built for warmbloods. I love it! I am looking forward to getting it ready for lots of trail riding this summer. I still dont have a truck yet, but we are looking and will have one soon.

I have a question about shavings in the trailer. I heard it was good for absorbing urine, buffering trailer noise and vibration, and for cushion. Also heard to only use them on enclosed trailers since they will just blow around in an open one. Am I right on all this? Also, does the wood floor need to be treated to prevent rotting? Or do I just keep it cleaned out and dry between using? One more thing, do any of you with enclosed trailers ever have problems with overheating in the summer? My trailer has vents on the sides, front and top, but no large windows.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:19:19 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dixiesmom

OTW, I just bought my first "new to me" trailer too!! I am so excited! I have been reading this thread and getting LOTS of info for when my trailer gets here. My trailer sounds alot like yours too. It is a 1980 Campbell Coach 2h straight load with walk thru dressing room. It is an extra tall and wide trailer built for warmbloods. I love it! I am looking forward to getting it ready for lots of trail riding this summer. I still dont have a truck yet, but we are looking and will have one soon.

I have a question about shavings in the trailer. I heard it was good for absorbing urine, buffering trailer noise and vibration, and for cushion. Also heard to only use them on enclosed trailers since they will just blow around in an open one. Am I right on all this? Also, does the wood floor need to be treated to prevent rotting? Or do I just keep it cleaned out and dry between using? One more thing, do any of you with enclosed trailers ever have problems with overheating in the summer? My trailer has vents on the sides, front and top, but no large windows.

Melissa, I'm hoping your question didn't get visually buried in the body of your post, it's a good question. May want to post it again...
Carol
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:26:41 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Milissa; Is your trailer totally enclosed including the back doors that you open to load your horse? Usually the top part is removable. This is the way my trailer is, and I leave the covers off the doors all Summer long. I put them back on for hauling in the winter or for keeping snow out of the trailer when I'm not using it.

Does your trailer have overhead vents? These are usually right above where the horse's head will be while traveling in a straight load trailer. When it's hot, if you open these, it'll draw air through the trailer in combination with the side vents. So, as long as the trailer is moving, there should be air circulating over and around your horse.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  9:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
And if you do have roof vents, maybe they are like mine, on my older trailer.

Mine are 3 position. They go forward, to scoup the air in, closed is middle, lays flat on roof, and when pushed back, the opening faces to the back of the trailer.

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  10:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Yes, my trailer has vents. Slanted, louver style vents on the sides that open and close. And round sliding vents on the front and top. And I am not sure, but I think the top of the back doors are removable. When the tops are off and the vents open, should I not put shavings on the floor? Or will the wind not blow them around. On my way home I noticed the trailer not out on the lot, so I called to check on it and it was in the shop getting re-wired and the brakes checked. The tack room door handle was broke and they ordered another one. I cant wait to get it back home!!

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  09:47:58 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Speaking of shipping boots or wraps or other solutions, I ran across these and they APPEAR to be simple to put on or take off, and also appear to cover/protect all the way down to the hoof in case horse steps on herself. Certainly beyond "affordable." Can anyone give me opinion on these? The only thing my untrained eye can see right off is that they could get dirty on the bottom edges...

http://tinyurl.com/cxpuo
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  4:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
We had some of this type and they work well for protection and are simple to put on. They do not give any tendon support as does a properly wrapped leg but certainily a good choice for protection.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

We had some of this type and they work well for protection and are simple to put on. They do not give any tendon support as does a properly wrapped leg but certainily a good choice for protection.

Hook, ya think a good choice for me for trailering? That's pretty much all I'm looking for. Something that will protect her in case she bangs one foot on another or steps on a foot with another or whatever else horses tend to do when trailering. Some people say they just don't do anything for trailering, but you seemed pretty ademant that you would recommend protection. So when you say these would be good for protection, is that what you were referring to... trailering?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000