Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Toe Stoppers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I read on the Breakaway stirrups website that a lot of bronc riders slit their boots up the back so they'll slip off. But the breakway stirrups eliminate the need for that. That website has some really interesting reading on it...also says that one reason cowboys wore guns in the old west was not just for protection...but also to shoot their horse in case they were getting dragged. Interesting. The breakaways are wonderful...I love 'em.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I read on the Breakaway stirrups website that a lot of bronc riders slit their boots up the back so they'll slip off. But the breakway stirrups eliminate the need for that. That website has some really interesting reading on it...also says that one reason cowboys wore guns in the old west was not just for protection...but also to shoot their horse in case they were getting dragged. Interesting. The breakaways are wonderful...I love 'em.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Lace ups or slip ons....ends up being personal choice because you can't count on a slip on to slip off. How many people fight to get theirs on and off and to get ones that would slip off easily makes them too big most of the time which is more of a danger. Also look at the english boots, no way those puppies come off easy! lol And yet they are standard. Look at a lot of packers and old time cowboys, those where some REAL lace ups, mid calf or higher and form fitted to the leg in many cases. Years of use of those styles in the field and they are still used. Most militaries also use some type of high(like english) or packer style boots. Centuries of use in those cases and still standard use. There are good reasons these styles still hold on as the standard. So I don't hold on that idea that ropers are safer because the foot might have a chance of slipping out. Any boot can get hung up and any can fail to let your foot slip out. Both styles have thier place and I use both styles but rarely use a slip on style just because they don't fit as well and I can't use them to support my ankle. With so many people using the higher and lace up boots there is lots of exp. with them and these people are being drug left and right because of it. In fact in their field it is much safer to have a solid, more supportive boot. For impack(like jumping), a barrier(riding through brush), and in some cases the boot itself helps to avoid the foot from sliding through because they aren't as giving as a short looser boot that will allow the leg to bend enough to have the foot slide through. There are many people that swear by the safety of packers. I think they are ugly but they do stand to be one of the safer designs of riding boots with a larger heel, heavy supportive leather and form fit to the foot and leg, so little unintended food movement withen the boot, proection from injury and good solid support to help slow down leg fatigue. I know that many follow and teach the idea that slip on boots are safer but I tend to say that no foot wear is 100% safe and the truely time tested is the higher and lace up styles which still hold as standard gear, that must be for a reason or they would have fallen out of favor a long time ago.

You have to watch some of the english safety stirrups. The Peacocks are not made for adult weight. They are fine for smaller riders but even then you need to check them for balance from time to time because of the lack of support on one side, that side will start to drop and that will ruin the sit and could even cause it to break. Even some of the designs like the Foot Free and Quick-Outs aren't a good choice for a heavier rider.

And one thing that some might not think about in western is stirrup choice. Just because a saddle comes with stirrups doesn't mean you are stuck with them and too large of a stirrup for a person's foot is not safe. It gives too much room for the foot to slide through.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Lace ups or slip ons....ends up being personal choice because you can't count on a slip on to slip off. How many people fight to get theirs on and off and to get ones that would slip off easily makes them too big most of the time which is more of a danger. Also look at the english boots, no way those puppies come off easy! lol And yet they are standard. Look at a lot of packers and old time cowboys, those where some REAL lace ups, mid calf or higher and form fitted to the leg in many cases. Years of use of those styles in the field and they are still used. Most militaries also use some type of high(like english) or packer style boots. Centuries of use in those cases and still standard use. There are good reasons these styles still hold on as the standard. So I don't hold on that idea that ropers are safer because the foot might have a chance of slipping out. Any boot can get hung up and any can fail to let your foot slip out. Both styles have thier place and I use both styles but rarely use a slip on style just because they don't fit as well and I can't use them to support my ankle. With so many people using the higher and lace up boots there is lots of exp. with them and these people are being drug left and right because of it. In fact in their field it is much safer to have a solid, more supportive boot. For impack(like jumping), a barrier(riding through brush), and in some cases the boot itself helps to avoid the foot from sliding through because they aren't as giving as a short looser boot that will allow the leg to bend enough to have the foot slide through. There are many people that swear by the safety of packers. I think they are ugly but they do stand to be one of the safer designs of riding boots with a larger heel, heavy supportive leather and form fit to the foot and leg, so little unintended food movement withen the boot, proection from injury and good solid support to help slow down leg fatigue. I know that many follow and teach the idea that slip on boots are safer but I tend to say that no foot wear is 100% safe and the truely time tested is the higher and lace up styles which still hold as standard gear, that must be for a reason or they would have fallen out of favor a long time ago.

You have to watch some of the english safety stirrups. The Peacocks are not made for adult weight. They are fine for smaller riders but even then you need to check them for balance from time to time because of the lack of support on one side, that side will start to drop and that will ruin the sit and could even cause it to break. Even some of the designs like the Foot Free and Quick-Outs aren't a good choice for a heavier rider.

And one thing that some might not think about in western is stirrup choice. Just because a saddle comes with stirrups doesn't mean you are stuck with them and too large of a stirrup for a person's foot is not safe. It gives too much room for the foot to slide through.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Or you can get toe stoppers or breakaway stirrups and wear boots that strap all the way up to your armpits if you like!!!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Or you can get toe stoppers or breakaway stirrups and wear boots that strap all the way up to your armpits if you like!!!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Flooper, that is what I was thinking. With either of these safety stirrup set-ups, it don't matter what style boot you like best.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  9:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Flooper, that is what I was thinking. With either of these safety stirrup set-ups, it don't matter what style boot you like best.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  11:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Boots that lace up the arm pits...sounds like something not to g-rated. lol

Safety is one of those topics that people just don't agree on. What works for one and what they view as safe isn't the opinion of the next person. We each do our own thing. Some don't wear helmets, some do. Unless they are riding on your horse/land you don't have much say in what they wear. Even the idea of what is safe is different. Some think it's safer to use boots that just slip on others don't view that as any safer. You can even find people that believe that helmets are no more safe or are even less safe then riding without.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  11:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Boots that lace up the arm pits...sounds like something not to g-rated. lol

Safety is one of those topics that people just don't agree on. What works for one and what they view as safe isn't the opinion of the next person. We each do our own thing. Some don't wear helmets, some do. Unless they are riding on your horse/land you don't have much say in what they wear. Even the idea of what is safe is different. Some think it's safer to use boots that just slip on others don't view that as any safer. You can even find people that believe that helmets are no more safe or are even less safe then riding without.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000