Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Parelli Halter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
quote:
LOL! Riding bareback with just a rope halter does sound so neat, but not very practical for most of us. I, for one, can barely get on even with a saddle, let alone jump on without!

Don't forget wet, sticky, itchy, hairy jeans. Not near as much fun at 55 as it was at 14. And I have to do my own laundry now.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  8:34:33 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
HEY..

I ride in a rope halter! I just use a bridle over it.

I use a rope halter under Joe's bridle on trail rides. It's light weight and doesn't interfere with the bridle. I also do not use a lead with a snap but tie the lead to the halter. This is going to be hard to explain but .... the other end is looped over the horn. I form a loop, run it under the horn, up through whatever that opening is called & hang the loop over the horn. It's easy on - easy off.

I usually will take the bridle off when we're tied because Joe likes to rub his head & I don't want him tearing up the bridle.

I also agree that the Native American mystic is a huge draw for GaWaNi. He is sorta cute though which helps too.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  12:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
Hi y'all,

Just for fun, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in!!!

Parelli didn't invent the rope halter--however, he does use a more expensive type of rope (Samson) because of the "feel". It is softer that the Diamond D's and other cheaper brands. Clinton Anderson's is a really stiff cord (I think it's called RJ). Clinton's usually are a 4 knot noseband and Parelli's are 2 knots. I have a supplier that makes both types with the same types of rope and sells them for much cheaper than either trainer.

I love rope halters for trail riding and training--the horse's are more quickly responsive, the halters fit better under a bridle and they're easier to clean.

Also--on the subject of rope hackamores--what it comes down to is personal preference. If you are safe and comfortable and your horse is responsive--use what you like and what works for you and your horse!! I have the Parelli hackamore--I ride in it trail riding in the mountains and I love it. I have started colts with a Dee ring snaffle or tom thumb and then switched to the rope hackamore with great success. HOWEVER--I have 30 years of riding/training experience, I do ground work --and I ride using my energy and leg cues more than I use my hands. I would not recommend that a green rider just starting out use a rope hack--unless they were riding one of my older horses.

I'm not sold on any particular trainer although I've learned things from both Parelli and Anderson.--I think we can all pick up a lot of helpful ideas from a lot of different big name trainers that are out there, but I don't think there is a "cookie cutter" approach to horse training. Every horse is an individual...and as we "learn" each horse's personality and traits we can develop their training to best suit them. And sometimes it takes experimenting!

Greenhorns--have you noticed?--Horse people are EXTREMELY opinionated and the opinions are all different! A friend and I recently decided that the subject of Horses is the 3rd most controversial subject in the world--right after Religion and Politics!!

"This woman's place is in the saddle"
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Opinionated, who us???? We all work very well together helping out and doing our duty as members of HAA. ( Horse Addiction Anonymous):)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Western Horsewoman
Tenderfoot

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Western Horsewoman's Homepage Send Western Horsewoman a Private Message
Hi Hook,

You're right--we do have a large common bond, even if we don't always agree on equipment or methods. Each of us needs our horse fix!

Hey--can somebody tell me how to change my profile so it doesn't say "tenderfoot" or is that a reference to the fact that I just joined the forum?

M

"This woman's place is in the saddle"
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:50:22 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Hi WH and welcome to. "Tenderfoot" is in reference to how many posts you've made. They get better the more you post. So, don't take it personally as we all start out as "Tenderfoot".

Also, I just checked your profile. Aren't you a little young to be married??? Take a look 'cause I think you made a mistake.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 02/25/2006 7:59:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000