Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Back Cinch Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

qhrider
Tenderfoot

11 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit qhrider's Homepage Send qhrider a Private Message
My post was said tongue-in-cheek and dripping with sarcasm. I only meant that one way is not THE way. It's kind of berating to tell anyone (not just me)who has always used 'girth' that they were wrong and should be riding in english saddles. Maybe both of you are right and wrong. Everyone has to be so PC nowadays not to p**s someone off.

Anyway, original question was how tight should it be. It should touch the horse's belly but not be too tight and used as a 'bucking strap'. I think another purpose of the back girth (which is the word I use as I teach beginners and it is easier to remember and understand than flank cinch) is if a horse bucks the saddle doesn't stand up on the horse's neck (experienced this as a youngster and have ridden with one ever since).

Edited by - qhrider on 01/25/2006 1:14:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  1:35:24 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Can one cinch the girth or as it's sometimes called the (insert any accent you want) "girt"? I've always used cinch & girth interchangably in my southern/country hick accent.

I remember when I was a kid getting into a BIG argument with a cousin over the difference between a rope and a string. I was right of course. LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  5:56:43 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
qhr,
If you had read my whole post including all the smilies and the part about a grain of salt I don't think I was trying to berate anyone. I was asking the kids what terminolgy was used around the different barns they ride at, as I was typing. A lot of us are rookies to the horse world and sometimes we mis-speak or are just flat wrong. Thats why I am a member of this forum to expand my knowledge and share my learnings and boast about my kids accomplishments.
What I remember saying in an archived post was that at the barn Morgan takes english lessons and exercises ponies at the only thing you will hear is "make sure you tighten your girth or is that girth tight". Now over at the stable where Morgan and Matt do there western riding its "make sure you cinch up that saddle or did you pull that cinch tight".
There will always be localisms and different terminolgy in any walk of life and for the best of me I can't figure out why you took that one statement out of context and thought someone was questioning the security of your knowledge.

No smilies for this one, cause they don't work.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000