Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 How did you buy your first horse?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  09:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elizNY

Yes, I had to tell him no on the horse. It is my money that gets wasted and my old bones that hit the ground if it turns out he is not as great as they say, so I told him what he always tells me, "another good horse always comes along".

WAY TO GO LIZ;
Buying a horse should not be a snap decision. YOU will KNOW when the fit is right. Remember the purchase price of the horse should not be a large factor when you look at the cost of keeping the horse over the next 10 to 15 years. Wait for the right horse.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Remember how I said the horse may eventually make it to our barn? Well, the barn guy called me yesterday. We were chit-chatting and I remembered he was supposed to take the horse to the auction for the owner. I joked and said "so, did you sell 'my' horse?". He said "I bought your blankety-blank horse. He's here, come and ride him". Funny how that worked out. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...and of course I am looking forward to taking the horse out for a test drive.
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Remember how I said the horse may eventually make it to our barn? Well, the barn guy called me yesterday. We were chit-chatting and I remembered he was supposed to take the horse to the auction for the owner. I joked and said "so, did you sell 'my' horse?". He said "I bought your blankety-blank horse. He's here, come and ride him". Funny how that worked out. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...and of course I am looking forward to taking the horse out for a test drive.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  07:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
HMMMM............
So the horse is still available. Ain't that amazing. Maybe the auction was just a sales tactic? Take your time and make sure he is what you want, and get a vet check. And wear your helmet when you ride.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - Hook on 12/26/2005 07:05:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  07:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
HMMMM............
So the horse is still available. Ain't that amazing. Maybe the auction was just a sales tactic? Take your time and make sure he is what you want, and get a vet check. And wear your helmet when you ride.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 12/26/2005 07:05:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  8:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
I have loved horses ever since I could remember, but my parents were NOT into them at all. When I turned 14 I got a part-time job at a local stable cleaning stalls in exchange for getting to ride the lesson horses. I then met an arabian trainer that had me start working for her too, and I learned ALOT!! I loved working out there. My parents told me I could not get a horse of my own till I could earn enough money to pay for it and the upkeep. So when I turned 16 I got a "regular" job at price chopper and bought my own horse. I was still working part time at the stables, and the arab trainer was the one that found my horse for me. Her name was Holimas Satinstar, a bay arabian mare 14.3 hh 5yrs old. Satin had been trained for 30 days as a 3yr old by the trainer I was working for, but the owner took her home and never rode her much after that. One day she went out to ride and Satin threw her and she broke her arm. She never rode Satin again. So I bought her as a VERY green 5yr old and paid $300 for her. The trainer helped me with her, and I had her for 5-6 yrs after that. I learned alot on that horse. I sold her after I had my first baby. I have had a few others since her, but now Dixie is trying to take her place as the "best"...........and doing a good job of it too!!!!!! LOL

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  8:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
I have loved horses ever since I could remember, but my parents were NOT into them at all. When I turned 14 I got a part-time job at a local stable cleaning stalls in exchange for getting to ride the lesson horses. I then met an arabian trainer that had me start working for her too, and I learned ALOT!! I loved working out there. My parents told me I could not get a horse of my own till I could earn enough money to pay for it and the upkeep. So when I turned 16 I got a "regular" job at price chopper and bought my own horse. I was still working part time at the stables, and the arab trainer was the one that found my horse for me. Her name was Holimas Satinstar, a bay arabian mare 14.3 hh 5yrs old. Satin had been trained for 30 days as a 3yr old by the trainer I was working for, but the owner took her home and never rode her much after that. One day she went out to ride and Satin threw her and she broke her arm. She never rode Satin again. So I bought her as a VERY green 5yr old and paid $300 for her. The trainer helped me with her, and I had her for 5-6 yrs after that. I learned alot on that horse. I sold her after I had my first baby. I have had a few others since her, but now Dixie is trying to take her place as the "best"...........and doing a good job of it too!!!!!! LOL

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  10:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
My parents were not horse people either, but in retrospect I guess they were good sports about it, lol! They told me the same thing, but when I presented them with my savings I guess they panicked (you think they would have known me better than that) and then told me I had to grow up first, and marry a farmer...which ironically enough, I did.
Thanks Hook, yes, I would not buy a horse without a vet check, especially if the deal (or the horse) seemed to good to be true. The guy is for real, he and a few others from the barn take horses to the sales/auctions all the time. I went to one of them a few months back - fortunately had the good sense to go with less than $20 in my pocket. In fact that's where the horse originally came from, and he's been sortof passed around ever since. I sortof remember him, vaguely. Anyway, vet checks are a long way off, I haven't even ridden him yet and although owning would be nice, I am very happy leasing too. Trust me, I have no desire to purchase a horse I don't "click" with!
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  10:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
My parents were not horse people either, but in retrospect I guess they were good sports about it, lol! They told me the same thing, but when I presented them with my savings I guess they panicked (you think they would have known me better than that) and then told me I had to grow up first, and marry a farmer...which ironically enough, I did.
Thanks Hook, yes, I would not buy a horse without a vet check, especially if the deal (or the horse) seemed to good to be true. The guy is for real, he and a few others from the barn take horses to the sales/auctions all the time. I went to one of them a few months back - fortunately had the good sense to go with less than $20 in my pocket. In fact that's where the horse originally came from, and he's been sortof passed around ever since. I sortof remember him, vaguely. Anyway, vet checks are a long way off, I haven't even ridden him yet and although owning would be nice, I am very happy leasing too. Trust me, I have no desire to purchase a horse I don't "click" with!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000