Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 English Saddle question in general...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Sliding can be a sign that the saddle doesn't fit the best.
A breastcollar can help but first I would see about adjusting the girth. What billets did you have the girth buckled too?
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:43:33 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
There are 3 billet straps, two buckles on the girth. I used first and third billet straps. Girth is nylon webbing on the outside, fleece padding on the inside and has elastic on both buckle straps. I had it adjusted rather tight, and did that in 2 stages. At first, I have trouble even getting it onto first hole. After bridling her, she's decompressed some, I got it onto 2nd hole, then 3rd hole. Going much farther than that I think would have been pushing it. Billets on this saddle are short (high under leg flap).

Whe first positioned, I had cantle higher than pommel as all positioning instructions I've read say. Though her withers trail back, protruding quite a distance, I had plenty of clearance in the gullet. If I put any saddle on her, however, first placing it too far forward, as recommended, then sliding it back until it finds its "seat," it would naturally find that on the sway part of her back, which is farther back than saddles appear to rest on most horses.

As I recall, now that you mention it, girth slipped back also. You think maybe I should get one that doesn't have any elastic? It sure seems to defeat the purpose of a girth (like how do you know when it's pulled tight/right if it has elastic?) But a ton of English girths sure seem to come with elastic ends, at least on one side.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:43:33 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
There are 3 billet straps, two buckles on the girth. I used first and third billet straps. Girth is nylon webbing on the outside, fleece padding on the inside and has elastic on both buckle straps. I had it adjusted rather tight, and did that in 2 stages. At first, I have trouble even getting it onto first hole. After bridling her, she's decompressed some, I got it onto 2nd hole, then 3rd hole. Going much farther than that I think would have been pushing it. Billets on this saddle are short (high under leg flap).

Whe first positioned, I had cantle higher than pommel as all positioning instructions I've read say. Though her withers trail back, protruding quite a distance, I had plenty of clearance in the gullet. If I put any saddle on her, however, first placing it too far forward, as recommended, then sliding it back until it finds its "seat," it would naturally find that on the sway part of her back, which is farther back than saddles appear to rest on most horses.

As I recall, now that you mention it, girth slipped back also. You think maybe I should get one that doesn't have any elastic? It sure seems to defeat the purpose of a girth (like how do you know when it's pulled tight/right if it has elastic?) But a ton of English girths sure seem to come with elastic ends, at least on one side.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Also, as for fit of saddle itself, I put it on her first without a pad, and girthed it up, and did all the checks I've read -- contact of panels seems nice and even against her, front to back, the right # fingers between pommel and withers with and without weight. At least from what I was able to tell.

I understand in Europe they don't even use saddle pads. I'm wondering if my saddle pad slips. They do have non-slip underpads, but that just seemed like it would throw off the fit of the saddle -- either to remedy one that doesn't fit or to mess up one that does.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Also, as for fit of saddle itself, I put it on her first without a pad, and girthed it up, and did all the checks I've read -- contact of panels seems nice and even against her, front to back, the right # fingers between pommel and withers with and without weight. At least from what I was able to tell.

I understand in Europe they don't even use saddle pads. I'm wondering if my saddle pad slips. They do have non-slip underpads, but that just seemed like it would throw off the fit of the saddle -- either to remedy one that doesn't fit or to mess up one that does.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  1:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
You don't have to use a pad on any saddle that fits but it's a lot easier to clean a pad then the saddle!

If the fit looks good then play around with the girth. Try billet 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 to see if that makes a difference. For the life of me I can't remember which two you use for what sliding problem. I prefer the elastic, much easier to get it girthed up on fat horses that blow up.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  1:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
You don't have to use a pad on any saddle that fits but it's a lot easier to clean a pad then the saddle!

If the fit looks good then play around with the girth. Try billet 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 to see if that makes a difference. For the life of me I can't remember which two you use for what sliding problem. I prefer the elastic, much easier to get it girthed up on fat horses that blow up.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, even without pad, saddle would slip, the underside of its panels are smooth. Washable tho. Will try different billet combinations. As for elastic, you have a point on beginning of girthing up, but once at tightening stage, that's when I don't like the elastic. Cloud definitely blows up so if I don't have the elastic, I'm talking a longer girth, no question.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, even without pad, saddle would slip, the underside of its panels are smooth. Washable tho. Will try different billet combinations. As for elastic, you have a point on beginning of girthing up, but once at tightening stage, that's when I don't like the elastic. Cloud definitely blows up so if I don't have the elastic, I'm talking a longer girth, no question.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000