Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Your Best Cold Weather Riding Clothes??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
A pint of Jack Daniel's in your saddlebags will help keep you warm to.
Termite
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL Termite!

I've been online all morning, procrastinating from what I should be doing, and doing my favorite passtime, researching. My biggest problem right now is hands, particularly FINGERS! I've been to Policy Equipment Tactical gloves, shooters (both camera and guns which need agility) and flying/pilot equipment sites. What I ran across is a website APS Ltd. on sailing, and here's the link to the glove page. Specifically, scroll down to 2nd from last on the laundry list and see polypropylene glove liners. Best appearing thing I've seen online all morning. They appear to be waterproof, they stretch, yet they wick away moisture from your hands as I read it. (Must be a one-way cell technology.) It says they will keep your hands dry (hence warm) even if used under a wet glove. Very intrigued with these! Also noted the liner above these. Also noted some of their winter gloves, farther up on the page. Included the laundrylist link instead of specific so people can see the whole line. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1728.asp
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL Termite!

I've been online all morning, procrastinating from what I should be doing, and doing my favorite passtime, researching. My biggest problem right now is hands, particularly FINGERS! I've been to Policy Equipment Tactical gloves, shooters (both camera and guns which need agility) and flying/pilot equipment sites. What I ran across is a website APS Ltd. on sailing, and here's the link to the glove page. Specifically, scroll down to 2nd from last on the laundry list and see polypropylene glove liners. Best appearing thing I've seen online all morning. They appear to be waterproof, they stretch, yet they wick away moisture from your hands as I read it. (Must be a one-way cell technology.) It says they will keep your hands dry (hence warm) even if used under a wet glove. Very intrigued with these! Also noted the liner above these. Also noted some of their winter gloves, farther up on the page. Included the laundrylist link instead of specific so people can see the whole line. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1728.asp
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
On my feet I like my thick wool socks. And I leave my boots tied slightly loose so that I can maintain good blood flow and not restrict airflow of my body heat. My cold weather boots are tough to ride in. I am always on the look out for warmer boots that fit in my stirrups.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
On my feet I like my thick wool socks. And I leave my boots tied slightly loose so that I can maintain good blood flow and not restrict airflow of my body heat. My cold weather boots are tough to ride in. I am always on the look out for warmer boots that fit in my stirrups.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  5:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Fern has a polar fleece helmet cover that goes over theh elmet and extends down onto your neck and velcrows under the chin. She says it it quite warm and is made as a helmet cover. I bet Chuck ahs rhem at the Saddleshop.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  5:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Fern has a polar fleece helmet cover that goes over theh elmet and extends down onto your neck and velcrows under the chin. She says it it quite warm and is made as a helmet cover. I bet Chuck ahs rhem at the Saddleshop.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:40:28 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, just since I mentioned it I feel I should follow up, if anyone's interested in the Cuddl Duds, be careful, there seem to be newer lines (cheaper) -- some of which are "microfiber" and others are polyester. The originals are 50/50 pima cotton for softness on one side and nylon for slipping against fabric without hanging, and I'm clueless what the other lines are they came up with. The originals are at Vt. Country Store and those are still called Thinskins. (Exciting post, I know, but didn't want anyone to try a recommendation and end up with some weird afterthought that's totally different.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:40:28 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, just since I mentioned it I feel I should follow up, if anyone's interested in the Cuddl Duds, be careful, there seem to be newer lines (cheaper) -- some of which are "microfiber" and others are polyester. The originals are 50/50 pima cotton for softness on one side and nylon for slipping against fabric without hanging, and I'm clueless what the other lines are they came up with. The originals are at Vt. Country Store and those are still called Thinskins. (Exciting post, I know, but didn't want anyone to try a recommendation and end up with some weird afterthought that's totally different.
Go to Top of Page

dougko
Beginning Rider

76 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougko's Homepage Send dougko a Private Message
I ride in a heavy Carhartt coat, flannel lined jeans, with a pair of heavy leather chaps, I figure if they can keep me warm while Iím cursing around on my motor bike should be good enough for gaiting around in the cold, and itís a lot easier to move around on the horse in a pair of chaps then my Carhartt overalls.

I personally would stay from nylon snowmobile type suits, could be slick on a hard seat saddle and bully boots; I wonít sacrifice safety for a little comfort. If itís above 20į Iíll ride for no less then an hour a day three days a week.

Doug

Why post when you can coast
ride a Tennessee Walking Horses
Go to Top of Page

dougko
Beginning Rider

76 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougko's Homepage Send dougko a Private Message
I ride in a heavy Carhartt coat, flannel lined jeans, with a pair of heavy leather chaps, I figure if they can keep me warm while Iím cursing around on my motor bike should be good enough for gaiting around in the cold, and itís a lot easier to move around on the horse in a pair of chaps then my Carhartt overalls.

I personally would stay from nylon snowmobile type suits, could be slick on a hard seat saddle and bully boots; I wonít sacrifice safety for a little comfort. If itís above 20į Iíll ride for no less then an hour a day three days a week.

Doug

Why post when you can coast
ride a Tennessee Walking Horses
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  9:29:32 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
I second Hooks (well rather Fern's!)recommendation of the polar fleece hat covers. They work great! I use the Artic Muck Boots... really warm, with great treads, but not for riding use, just for mucking out. I love the "SmartWool" socks that I get at LLBean Outlet. They have them at all the major outdoor stores like REI.... What else??? Well I just got my daughter a pair of gloves that are supposed to be waterproof (she gets stuck doing water duty alot) they are called Seal skins... See links below for the boots and gloves...I'm sure that you can find them in lots of places, this is just where I got mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html/104-2517757-1349514?me=&node=1036682&keywords=sealskinz
http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?tgs=16659970:7262238&cart_id=&item_id=6974

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  9:29:32 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
I second Hooks (well rather Fern's!)recommendation of the polar fleece hat covers. They work great! I use the Artic Muck Boots... really warm, with great treads, but not for riding use, just for mucking out. I love the "SmartWool" socks that I get at LLBean Outlet. They have them at all the major outdoor stores like REI.... What else??? Well I just got my daughter a pair of gloves that are supposed to be waterproof (she gets stuck doing water duty alot) they are called Seal skins... See links below for the boots and gloves...I'm sure that you can find them in lots of places, this is just where I got mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html/104-2517757-1349514?me=&node=1036682&keywords=sealskinz
http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?tgs=16659970:7262238&cart_id=&item_id=6974

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
SB, I heard something about seal-something gloves, these may be it. Something similar to a wetsuit? My polypropylene glove liners arrived, and at first I thought they were going to make a big difference. It only took them a little longer before that hand got just as cold. I'm convinced it's the outer layer on my gloves, it's leather, and that's what gets cold, consequently anything underneath it also does. The sox look great too, but wow, pricy!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
SB, I heard something about seal-something gloves, these may be it. Something similar to a wetsuit? My polypropylene glove liners arrived, and at first I thought they were going to make a big difference. It only took them a little longer before that hand got just as cold. I'm convinced it's the outer layer on my gloves, it's leather, and that's what gets cold, consequently anything underneath it also does. The sox look great too, but wow, pricy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  12:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I live in long johns, I don't like the cold. For barn and riding I use pretty much the same stuff but for foot wear. I'm a firm believer in layers because sometimes the barn is way to warm for a heavy jacket but not warm enough to go without. I have winter riding pants that are like snow pants but no bib just like pants. They have a suede seat that goes all the way down the inside of the legs so no slipping in the saddle. I wear a long sleeved shirt over a long john top with a fleece pull over which is normally enough unless it's windy and then I toss a wind jacket over the top(same when it is rainy/snowy). Nothing is bulky so I'm free to move. I have good thick socks and steel toed ins. work type winter boots for chores and a couple good pairs of winter riding boots for riding. I normally use the head band type of ear warmer but I have ones special cut for under the helmets. Across the forehead is elastic not the same fleece as the rest of it. I have a ton of gloves for different things and temps. Until it's really cold I tend to wear those cheap 2 for a $1 knit ones. I don't like how slick they are but I tend to go through gloves like crazy. Some I cut the fingers off of for days that aren't real cold. I also have what use to be On Course riding gloves which I love. They are warm enough for most weather and if not I have liners for them. On Course no longer is in business but there is another company that picked them up, I can't remember the name. They aren't waterproof but since I tend to have pairs in the barn, the tack room, all over the house, in a pocket, etc I can normally get to a dry pair if needed. So I guess it isn't just that I wear gloves out, I misplace them a lot and end up having to buy new ones all of the time! lol I also have some good pairs of thinsulate and fleece. Last weekend I waterproofed Coal's Turn out and I think I could use the same stuff on my gloves so next time I'll toss some in and see what happens. The Company that makes the waterproofing and rug wash has stuff to waterproof just about everything, even paper and maps. I don't have the website but it's NikWax. They have stuff for fleece, tents, leather, etc.

But all of the above I could replace with other things but one item, no two I won't live without is my Yak Traks and Easy Boots with ice studs for the horses. I hate ice to the point that I take joy in putting salt on it to hear it pop. After rebreaking a broken tail bone thanks to ice I don't like it one bit. I found the Yak Traks last year and you can even run on ice with them. The only down side is that you have to take them off to walk on hard surfaces like cement, which we have in the barn. I have been using the hoof boots with ice studs for a few years now and it's a huge difference when you are trail riding and happen apon some ice without knowning. I don't ride every ride with them since they aren't that needed in the arena or field as long as there is no ice under the snow. I don't like leaving shoes on in the winter, normally don't have any shoes on even in the summer so the boots work better for me.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  12:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I live in long johns, I don't like the cold. For barn and riding I use pretty much the same stuff but for foot wear. I'm a firm believer in layers because sometimes the barn is way to warm for a heavy jacket but not warm enough to go without. I have winter riding pants that are like snow pants but no bib just like pants. They have a suede seat that goes all the way down the inside of the legs so no slipping in the saddle. I wear a long sleeved shirt over a long john top with a fleece pull over which is normally enough unless it's windy and then I toss a wind jacket over the top(same when it is rainy/snowy). Nothing is bulky so I'm free to move. I have good thick socks and steel toed ins. work type winter boots for chores and a couple good pairs of winter riding boots for riding. I normally use the head band type of ear warmer but I have ones special cut for under the helmets. Across the forehead is elastic not the same fleece as the rest of it. I have a ton of gloves for different things and temps. Until it's really cold I tend to wear those cheap 2 for a $1 knit ones. I don't like how slick they are but I tend to go through gloves like crazy. Some I cut the fingers off of for days that aren't real cold. I also have what use to be On Course riding gloves which I love. They are warm enough for most weather and if not I have liners for them. On Course no longer is in business but there is another company that picked them up, I can't remember the name. They aren't waterproof but since I tend to have pairs in the barn, the tack room, all over the house, in a pocket, etc I can normally get to a dry pair if needed. So I guess it isn't just that I wear gloves out, I misplace them a lot and end up having to buy new ones all of the time! lol I also have some good pairs of thinsulate and fleece. Last weekend I waterproofed Coal's Turn out and I think I could use the same stuff on my gloves so next time I'll toss some in and see what happens. The Company that makes the waterproofing and rug wash has stuff to waterproof just about everything, even paper and maps. I don't have the website but it's NikWax. They have stuff for fleece, tents, leather, etc.

But all of the above I could replace with other things but one item, no two I won't live without is my Yak Traks and Easy Boots with ice studs for the horses. I hate ice to the point that I take joy in putting salt on it to hear it pop. After rebreaking a broken tail bone thanks to ice I don't like it one bit. I found the Yak Traks last year and you can even run on ice with them. The only down side is that you have to take them off to walk on hard surfaces like cement, which we have in the barn. I have been using the hoof boots with ice studs for a few years now and it's a huge difference when you are trail riding and happen apon some ice without knowning. I don't ride every ride with them since they aren't that needed in the arena or field as long as there is no ice under the snow. I don't like leaving shoes on in the winter, normally don't have any shoes on even in the summer so the boots work better for me.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:00:26 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hey Stormie, I looked at those Yak Traks and they look pretty interesting. I have some rather serious ice-studded slip-ons (ice studs embedded in sort of a slipper overshoe made of rubber) but those are next to impossible to get on and off on the fly, not something you'd be able to slip on and off in the barn going from dirt to cement. You gotta sit down and wrestle with them a little, you would never be able to just lift your foot and put them on or take them off. Can you do that with the Yak Traks??
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:00:26 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hey Stormie, I looked at those Yak Traks and they look pretty interesting. I have some rather serious ice-studded slip-ons (ice studs embedded in sort of a slipper overshoe made of rubber) but those are next to impossible to get on and off on the fly, not something you'd be able to slip on and off in the barn going from dirt to cement. You gotta sit down and wrestle with them a little, you would never be able to just lift your foot and put them on or take them off. Can you do that with the Yak Traks??
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
It depends on the shoes but yes they are that easy to use. A little hard to get on then off but if you wanted you wouldn't have to sit down.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
It depends on the shoes but yes they are that easy to use. A little hard to get on then off but if you wanted you wouldn't have to sit down.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  8:39:20 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I've got a pair of Yak Tracs too & love them. Fortunatley, I haven't had to use them much but they really do work.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  8:39:20 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I've got a pair of Yak Tracs too & love them. Fortunatley, I haven't had to use them much but they really do work.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000