Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Hurt Leg what to do?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  4:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
lil bit-

If it makes you feel any better, the job of the antibiotic is to fight infection....so he is probably covered in that dept. Whenever you change the bandage tho, put the palm of your hand on the leg and feel for heat. If you aren't sure if you are feeling regular body warmth or heat from infection, move your hand to the same spot on other leg, then back to the injured leg and compare the level of warmth. Watch for drainage from the lowest point of the wound and note the color of the drainage....clear or cloudy, bloody, green and goopy...pus usually signals infection. Check the surface of the previous bandage to see if it absorbed any drainage.

If it's any consolation, my current vet would probably try to save me the farm call by helping over the phone or email. Either she would ask it I'd like her to come out or I could ask her to come out if it was something that we didn't think that I could handle.

But I know how you feel because when I had a true emergency here a few years ago, my former vet did not come out even though my farm was on her way home. I scrambled to find meds thru friends, and her vet tech DID bring me some meds many hours later. But the vet never return my call to ask how things were going, or if I did indeed need to schedule a visit. I think it was a case where my emergency fell on her "small animal" day and there was no way that she could shuffle things around. Over time, I've had boarders who have used her and there are no hard feelings either way, but I now know who to call in a pinch.

And from the consumer's point of view....is it a bad thing to use a couple of different vets? If one happens to be out of town or off the clock, when needed, you need to have someone else who can be contacted. I do like the idea of having my regular stuff done by my usual vet, but she knows who I'd call if she were unavailable.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
My vet has several younger vets working under him, and so far, one or the other of them has always been available to come out in an emergency. So, although I don't always get the vet I normally use, neither do I have to use a totally different practice.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  7:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
My vet has several younger vets working under him, and so far, one or the other of them has always been available to come out in an emergency. So, although I don't always get the vet I normally use, neither do I have to use a totally different practice.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  05:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
How about posting a picture of the damage regularly and the folks will help you keep an eye on the healing process. Might help if you can get the picure close enough.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  05:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
How about posting a picture of the damage regularly and the folks will help you keep an eye on the healing process. Might help if you can get the picure close enough.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
My vet office has 5 large animal vets so so far I have had no problem getting them to come out or at least advice on the phone when needed. There is one vet in the office that I will never have come out again he was a BIG jerk, very young and full of himself. There are two older vets that are awesome and especially when I first got horses they knew I was green and they told me if I ever needed anything to call them--not to rely on what a neighbor etc..said. They are very quick to call me back. My dilemma is that none of them seem super in Equine Reproduction--none specialize. And so far my confidence in them as far as the repro parts go is not very good. I have been told things that when researching the subjects seems I have been very misinformed. And they for sure were not able to find our mares pregnancy by ultrsound at 18 days post cover which I guess should be easy for an experienced eye ---and then seemed irritated when I called twice about it then later found by another vet that she was pregnant. Anyway............my point is I trust them when it comes to anything else with my horses but as far as the repro part I may ask for advice but I am sure to get a second opinion from elsewhere. And If something goes wrong during/after the delivery I will be calling another vet because I do not have confidence in them

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
My vet office has 5 large animal vets so so far I have had no problem getting them to come out or at least advice on the phone when needed. There is one vet in the office that I will never have come out again he was a BIG jerk, very young and full of himself. There are two older vets that are awesome and especially when I first got horses they knew I was green and they told me if I ever needed anything to call them--not to rely on what a neighbor etc..said. They are very quick to call me back. My dilemma is that none of them seem super in Equine Reproduction--none specialize. And so far my confidence in them as far as the repro parts go is not very good. I have been told things that when researching the subjects seems I have been very misinformed. And they for sure were not able to find our mares pregnancy by ultrsound at 18 days post cover which I guess should be easy for an experienced eye ---and then seemed irritated when I called twice about it then later found by another vet that she was pregnant. Anyway............my point is I trust them when it comes to anything else with my horses but as far as the repro part I may ask for advice but I am sure to get a second opinion from elsewhere. And If something goes wrong during/after the delivery I will be calling another vet because I do not have confidence in them

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Dorothy, did you ever find out if your grey mare was pregnant?? The one who you posted pics of?
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Dorothy, did you ever find out if your grey mare was pregnant?? The one who you posted pics of?
Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
Hey. Well i think that he is better. We were out in the pasture and their was a man walking his dog by the road. about 2 acres away. Well diago took off running after the man, the guy just stopped outside my fence and diago just started running and bucking and just freaking out came running towards us and turned and went back to the man and the dog. I have never seen him act like that esp. towards a person. Do you think that he sensed something about the man.? That he didnt like. Anyway. He ran the guy off. And on his trip back by my house he went on the other side of the road down in the ditch. But he came back prancing to me like he did a good deed. So if his leg was still hurt, he wouldnt be running and bucking would he?? He didnt seem to have any problems no limping or even slowing him down. Am very curious to know y he would have reacted that way to someone. He did not want him walking by our yard at all.
Thanks yall... will post some pics of his leg really soon..

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
Hey. Well i think that he is better. We were out in the pasture and their was a man walking his dog by the road. about 2 acres away. Well diago took off running after the man, the guy just stopped outside my fence and diago just started running and bucking and just freaking out came running towards us and turned and went back to the man and the dog. I have never seen him act like that esp. towards a person. Do you think that he sensed something about the man.? That he didnt like. Anyway. He ran the guy off. And on his trip back by my house he went on the other side of the road down in the ditch. But he came back prancing to me like he did a good deed. So if his leg was still hurt, he wouldnt be running and bucking would he?? He didnt seem to have any problems no limping or even slowing him down. Am very curious to know y he would have reacted that way to someone. He did not want him walking by our yard at all.
Thanks yall... will post some pics of his leg really soon..

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Sounds like he is doing great! I would guess that his actions were more towards the dog that the guy had, rather than the man himself?
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Sounds like he is doing great! I would guess that his actions were more towards the dog that the guy had, rather than the man himself?
Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
HEY ALL JUST AN UPDATE! Diago is doing fine the bandage is off and his leg has healed. Just a small scar right now, no more open flesh. He had escaped out of his pasture yesterday when i came home from work. And my pit bull had somehow gotten off her chain also. So the animals had a busy day yesterday.LOL! Only my horse doesnt like my dogs and normally tries to stomp em if he gets out of the pasture, but they were just running around all in the yard. Maybe they have become friends. LOL. We still havent rode him since the accident though. Will prob. do that this weekend. Thanks for all the response. And sorry hadnt had a chance to post any pics of his leg.

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
HEY ALL JUST AN UPDATE! Diago is doing fine the bandage is off and his leg has healed. Just a small scar right now, no more open flesh. He had escaped out of his pasture yesterday when i came home from work. And my pit bull had somehow gotten off her chain also. So the animals had a busy day yesterday.LOL! Only my horse doesnt like my dogs and normally tries to stomp em if he gets out of the pasture, but they were just running around all in the yard. Maybe they have become friends. LOL. We still havent rode him since the accident though. Will prob. do that this weekend. Thanks for all the response. And sorry hadnt had a chance to post any pics of his leg.

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear about what the outcome is. Maybe if you keep rubbing some Vit. E Oil on it it will help soften the scar and help hair grow back. It won't work in all cases but it does for some.

And thanks to who ever it was that posted that one link, I missed it earlier. My mare Coal cut the tendon that is at the bottom right under the fetlock. She was not lame when it happened so that isn't always a telltale sign. But today was her first day turned out so we'll see how she does.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear about what the outcome is. Maybe if you keep rubbing some Vit. E Oil on it it will help soften the scar and help hair grow back. It won't work in all cases but it does for some.

And thanks to who ever it was that posted that one link, I missed it earlier. My mare Coal cut the tendon that is at the bottom right under the fetlock. She was not lame when it happened so that isn't always a telltale sign. But today was her first day turned out so we'll see how she does.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Good News

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Good News

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  11:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
hi yall just another update. He is really doing good we rode him about 3 or 4 times over the last week or so. And his leg is completely healed. He was trotting and wanted to run so we let him although he didnt completely open up in the field. He was at a pretty good pace, and did it with no problem. I checked his leg for heat and thier was none. And he hasnt limped or anything. So I believe that he is all better. Thanks for all the good advice. And he actually didnt even misbehave ( i was suprised after not being ridden for over a month. ) So once again. Thanks yall.

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  06:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Just a suggestion. If you have any significant scarring you might want to rub it with some kind of moisturizer such as Vitamin E to help keep it supple and perhaps help the scar tissue have less tendancy to break open.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000