Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Saddle Shop Corral
 W.T. Co-Diver
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I'm feeling a little melancholy, today. You see, today is W.T.'s birthday and we were bonded so tight that it was like we belonged to each other. He's been dead, now, for 14 years, but every once in awhile, I look back at all the good times we had the short time he was with us. He was only 9 years old when we had him put down in 1992 due to EPM. Not much was known about it, back then, and a large hunk of me died when he did.

He came into my life as a late yearling, and he sure was a handful to break to ride. That first year I rode him, he bucked every time I cantered him! It took all Summer for him to out grow that.

I won't go into details, but he was a fantastic show horse, and won regional high point champion for 2 year old geldings the first year I showed him. He bored easily and was very hard to keep interested in any one thing very long. Once he'd learned it, he was ready to go on to something new. He was the most versatile horse I've ever owned. He had national points in halter, gaming events, pleasure events, and driving. There was even one time when I had him entered in the Rope Race right after the Pleasure Driving class. He won the Driving with 6 in the class, and then went on to take 3rd with a rider who had never swung a leg over him in a class of 8 entries in the Rope Race. That was with only ten minutes to switch from one class to the other.

He was a great trail horse, too, and loved to travel to new places. He'd practically drag you into the trailer if he hadn't been anywhere in awhile. We were so tightly bonded to each other that it was almost like he was telepathic. I'd be thinking about doing a certain gait at a specific place, and the next thing I know, he'd be doing it without me doing a thing! Man,I loved that horse!

Then the year he took reserve national champion, and we were at the top of our game, we decided it was time to shoot for the ApHC's World Championships... but we never made it. He ended up in exploratory surgery at Purdue University and diagnosed with EPM. We struggled with it for 2 whole years before he finally fell down for the last time and couldn't get up.

I can still remember like it was yesterday when I went out to say my good-byes before the vet put him down. He was lying on his stomach with his head up and watching me come towards him. His whole expression was, "Oh good. Here comes Mom, and everything will be fine." I unbuckled his halter and removed it from his head with my eyes welling up in hot, angry tears and my heart bursting from the pain. Why oh why was the Lord taking the horse of my dreams away from me???? I just found it very hard to understand. I hugged W.T. and told him how much I loved him... and when I walked away I could still feel his eyes watching my every move.

He was buried that same day, and I still look out to where his body lays and think about all the wonderful times we had together. There will never, EVER, be another horse like him.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  3:29:42 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
What a special bond you and W.T. had. Cherish that always and reflect back that you had the opportunity of a lifetime to share it with such a wonderful horse.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  9:39:34 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
It sounds like you were meant for one another and how lucky you were to have the time together (short lived as it was). There is some truth to the saying that "only the good die young". Keep remembering the good times...

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  10:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Some horses take a piece of you with them when they go. Of course they also leave a bit of themselves behind.

Bittersweet memories. Try to remember the good times and it will bring him closer.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000