Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Cantle Bag "find" -- cheap on clearance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  12:21:22 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
I ordered one of these, and now that it's arrived, it's just way too cool not to post about. Country Supply --> Closeouts (at top of page) --> page 5. Thumbnail photo just looks like a green something.

This is a cantle bag that is extreeeemely well made. It converts from a cantle bag to a "fanny pack" and the waist strap is hidden when it's being used as a cantle bag. I don't overly like fanny packs, but the waist strap is wide, and comfortable. You can sling it over your shoulder and it stays put (like one of those odd-shaped LL Bean bags that's wider at the bottom than the top). It conforms to your shoulder. It also has an outside pocket that's a good size for little stuff on the trail (or if using over your shoulder, would carry a wallet and other things if you don't want to carry a purse). There are two little pockets that look like just extensions of the waist strap, except they're oddly enough velcro'd shut, making little pockets. Too small for anything I can think of, but that's an extra touch they wouldn't have had to make. I stuffed a lightweight winter down jacket into the cantle bag and still had a little room. I also tried a nylon rain jacket, had plenty of room. Cantle pocket is deep and wide enough to do something with. Since they're on close-out, I figure once they're gone they're gone. I just ordered a 2nd one, I really like a lot about it. Photo shoes the green (very nice shade if the photo is accurate). To me, some browns are just ugly. Others are tolerable. I hate brown for anything other than leather. I ordered the brown because I wanted it to blend into saddle as much as possible. NICE shade of brown!!!

Just a really neat bag for $8 bucks! I was totally surprised at how well it's constructed, including buckle -- a big honker but not at all in the way.
Carol

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  3:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Thanks for posting! I have a horn bag and this will take care of the rest of my stuff! .....Gotta love the bargains!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  10:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
I ordered 2...one for me and 1 for my riding buddy! Picked up a few other things getting ready for spring! Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  11:59:04 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
BJ glad you liked it. I don't know for sure but am thinking if you really wanted to carry some "stuff", these seem shaped so you could double them -- one up against your cantle and one behind that (or maybe above it if you want to create some built in back support, LOL. I actually bought the 2nd one to keep clean for trips to Boston where you walk, walk, walk and don't want to deal with a purse. But also as a backup because... well, I haven't tried this onto the back of a saddle yet, but I'm sure it will fit. It sure holds a lot! I haven't seen other cantle bags up close except one in a large store that was more money and made really flimsy. Having seen this one after it arrived and trying different things in it, the construction is just really hot ticket. If you figure out what to put in those little pockets, let me know. I was surprised by them because they're really small. I thought they were just attachment tabs because obviously that's their purpose. So it isn't that they will hold much of anything that I noticed, it was more that the maker went through the trouble to add a strip of velcro, and good velcro at that, probably figuring that it's just a single purpose otherwise, why not make it into a pocket. Cheap manufacture just doesn't do things like that. The whole unit seems just super well made. I'd have been happy with it for significantly more money than it was, the price just blew me away. I can't figure out why these are on Close-out! I was also impressed that the zipper has a rain flap over it.
Carol
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
Thanks OTW. I ordered one.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  09:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

ROFLOL!!! Went to the website to check out the cantle bag, and when it came up, on the side it said: "People who bought this also bought:" and showed a Coleman Hot Water on Demand. GEE, I wonder who THAT was!! Just made me laugh!!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I already have 2 cantle bags, and an overflowing tack room, so decided I didn't need to add to the mess! These sure do seem like a great deal, though!

Flooper: WE, of course, do know who THAT was!!!! LOL, SOMEBODY here on the DE is really getting into horse & camping gear!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Ooppppssss...I forgot to mention the De-HAA Acquisition CONTEST!

Whoever gets/has the most horse stuff WINS!! Extra points if you have equipment that does not FIT anyone or anything at your place! Lose points if you have done "Spring" cleaning to reduce the amount of horse stuff that you own. Post pics of those overstuffed tack rooms, tack boxes, basements, storage units, etc! rofl

(Sorry, there is no prize to the winner...cuz having the most stuff is reward unto itself!)

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

NoahsArk
Advanced Rider

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:09:16 PM  Show Profile Send NoahsArk a Private Message
I am too late to get in on this deal since I already got a new cantle bag, but it sounds great! I got the Stowaway cantle bag with 2 insulated water bottles. Great bag with lots of pockets, and rides nice too with no bouncing. BUT........it was like $50

Melissa
Rock-A-Way Pete: 1985-2006 My best partner.....I love you Pete!
O-Hi's Mountain Maggie: the new girl in town.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, I saddled up Cloud yesterday for the first time, but in the English saddle. I stuck the cantle bag on there just for the heck of it, it fits around the saddle great. The second one I ordered I'm going to keep as a backup for riding, but use for trips to Boston or wherever I will be walking a lot (car parked several T stops away) and want to carry jacket and other stuff. The thing just "carries" incredibly well over your shoulder!! I don't think anyone who ordered one will be unhappy! :)
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:51:24 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

OTW,

ROFLOL!!! Went to the website to check out the cantle bag, and when it came up, on the side it said: "People who bought this also bought:" and showed a Coleman Hot Water on Demand. GEE, I wonder who THAT was!! Just made me laugh!!!
--

Yeah, I've been going a tad nuts with it.
--Hot Water on Demand water heater
--ProCat catalytic heater
--A screen tent (cute little thang)
--Kelty Noah's Tarp (not yet ordered but getting one)
--Little camp table that converts to a seat
--Countless, countless gadget-y things, too many to count, including six of those 2-drawer uits, some for barn, some for taking with
--A mounting aid (extended stirrup)
--Battery operated fence charger
--Last but not least, a device that makes things easier for women who are trail riding away from restrooms and very modest. (Jury's out on that thing. Sheesh! Really a learning curve, lol.)

To say nothing of TRUCK and TRAILER.

I know I"m forgetting stuff. It's been like constant Christmas around here every time UPS truck comes up the driveway. Well, that's until I look at my credit card statements of course. Then it looks like Santa needs to be ridden out of town on a rail.

So this spring/summer/fall I better get in some serious horse camping or I will just embarrass myself, all dressed up for the party and not getting in the car, lol.
Carol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000