Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Horse Appraisal and Conformation
 Appy bloodlines - comments?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phoodforhorses
Beginning Rider

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoodforhorses's Homepage Send Phoodforhorses a Private Message
I know we have some real Appy lovers on here, so tell me what you think of this mare's bloodlines? Anything you recognize? I'll try to post a pic. as well. I'm looking at her as a possible purchase. And no, I still haven't bought anything yet. :(

Thanks for any comments.

Link to ad showing bloodlines:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=663162

Not the best pics. (last summer '05 in the rain, too)

Edited by - Phoodforhorses on 03/01/2006 4:14:50 PM

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
First of all, you must realize I'm into foundation Appaloosas, and second, I have no idea of what you are after or how important bloodlines are to you concerning this mare.

From what I can tell, she has very little Appaloosa foundation breeding and she's more Quarter Horse by pedigree than Appaloosa. I'd say at least 3/4 QH by blood. But if you aren't interested in foundation breeding and want something to show or ride down the trail, she should do well by her pedigree.

Again, I'm very much into foundation bred Appaloosas and preserving the old bloodlines. So, for me, I wouldn't want this mare in any breeding program I might be wanting to pursue. There are other Appaloosas with a lot more Appaloosa by blood out there to choose from for this(see www.foundationapp.com for more info in this regard). But if you are interested in breeding this type of horse and registering the resultant foals with the ApHC, then she would be worth looking into to purchase.

I don't know if this is what you wanted to hear, but I'm trying to be very fair in my thoughts and opinions... and I hope I may have been able to help you in some small way.

BTW: The QH bloodlines in this mare are excellent.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Phoodforhorses
Beginning Rider

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  12:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoodforhorses's Homepage Send Phoodforhorses a Private Message
Thanks RH. Your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I'm not looking to breed this mare at all. lol I don't have the time or money to be raising babies.

But the owner tried to tell me that she was a foundation app (which I had my doubts about). So now I have a second opinion.

I am looking for a nice trail riding horse and she had a really good start to her but the owner has fallen into some hard times and hasn't ridden her much in the last year.

I plan on going to have a look at her in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your input.
Go to Top of Page

tagnrocky
Clinician

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  3:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit tagnrocky's Homepage Send tagnrocky a Private Message
I just had to comment on this mare's pedigree. Some of the names sounded familiar and, after checking, she has the same great grandfather as my appy. If she is anything like him, she will make a great trail horse. He is very steady, spooks in place and has never bucked.
She also has the same dark V on her nose as my guy.

Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......
Go to Top of Page

Phoodforhorses
Beginning Rider

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoodforhorses's Homepage Send Phoodforhorses a Private Message
Thanks for the info. Nancy!

I like the looks of her. Even though she hasn't been ridden in a few months, the owner has no problems with hopping on and riding her for me to watch when I go out to see her. She also says that this mare has never bucked, reared or bolted and used to be a great trail riding horse when she rode her regularly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000