Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Does your horse
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BreezedBayou
Beginning Rider

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  3:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BreezedBayou's Homepage Send BreezedBayou a Private Message
back up and poop on things???

Ever since I have had Diablo, he is a PMU foal, he seems to want to back up to everything and poop on it. Is that normal? He backs up to trees, the run in shed, doors, it is the strangest thing!

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  5:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Had a boarder horse here who pooped in his water bucket every day! And a friend's old mare who has chronic diarrhea faithfully backs up to her stall wall when eliminating.

Both are lovely, lovely habits. <sarcasm>

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  8:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
There is a wash rack at the stables that we use to tack up horses who are out in pasture or have a stall at the "top" barn (easier to bring the horse to the tack than carry the tack to the horse).

Willie always seems to poop when he's brought into the wash rack, don't know if he's "relaxed" in there or just trying to tick me off. He always does it, then steps in it just before I pick his feet. (Of course other than that he's PERFECT!!!)

He also has to come to a complete stop to go while riding, then makes a big show with grunting and such.

Dang, this is starting to sound like retirement home conversation!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  01:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I have a leaky water tank, the small size that I use to feed hay out of sometimes. Jazz likes to poop in it when it's empty. I'm guessing it's her way of telling me that she likes to have food in front of her 24/7.

The only large animal I have in the barn this winter is the yearling bull. The past few days have been very cold. He spends his nights in the barn and days out in the corral. His water bucket has been freezing at night. Help with that I had stacked two tires and packed them full of hay. This works great until gets into the below zero weather like it has been. His new thing is to wait until the water is half froze and then tip the top tire and bucket over so the water runs out and the whole thing freezes to the ground and I need a bar to get it broke free. I'm waiting for him to figuring out that he can poop in the bucket or on it once it's upside down.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  05:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think it is pretty common and is an instinctive trait. Most of our horses poop near the wall of the arena or their stall. My opinion it is a survival technique to make sure sure they can't be attacked from behind when they are vunerable.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Hook, interesting thought. Where can I sign up my messy mare for an instinctive survival course??

Only one of my horses is a one spot hitter...

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  5:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
This doesn't have anything to do with pooping, LOL, but my 3 year old filly has lately been dipping her tail in the water bucket. Now, what with our weather, her tail hairs are frozen stiff. Doesn't seem to bother her, but it sure has me going ?????????

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
EZ,
My mare does the exact same thing! Doesn't seem to hurt anything but it can't be comfortable????

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  8:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Interesting to find that somebody else's horse does this, too! Butterbrickle's tail is a frozen, tangled mess...whenever the weather thaws out a bit, I comb it out, only to have her do the same thing again...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:04:25 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I don't know about outside, but some horses will poop in a corner of a stall because they don't like to lay down in it. Now that I think about it, the horse's I've had that stand up most of the time are more likely to poop anywhere in their stall as compared to the ones that like to lay down more frequently.

Dove's tail has gotten pretty long this winter, and because of how muddy our arena has been, he has golf ball sized balls of dried mud hanging from the ends! Thank goodness there's no flies right now. One swing and he'd probably knock himself off his feet!!

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 02/21/2006 11:05:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:16:37 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Hi-Grey is an equal opportunity pooper and doesn't care where he goes or if he lies in it. Actually, I think he loves lying in it just to hear me complain that an appaloosa is not supposed to have green spots!

Our geriatric old guys participate in projectile pooping. You don't want to stand behind them when the urge hits. ;o)

I've noticed that some stallions are somewhat more predisposed to go in one place.

EZ, I sometimes tie up tails during the winter to prevent freezing and breakage. Brushing in cold weather will exaserbate breakage.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Now That is a neat picture.
Just in case, when our horse start to rub their butt ( tail) we usually check our worming schedule. Pinworms can cause an itchy butt. The other thing with mares sometimes there is a icky build up between the two halves of their udder that causes them to rub sometimes. Course it may just feel good.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000